Managerial Prospects for Next Year...

Wanne

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
He would be awful. Most of managing is dealing with players on a personal level and dealing with the media. He would suck at both.

I was really anti-La Russa, and still am sorta. But if I knew it was going to be a year or two just to get the Kenny/Ozzie taste out of our collective mouths, I'd take it.

Dave Martinez intrigues me. He's been there with Maddon for a while, and I think that can only help him.

Bob Brenly and Sandy Alomar are high on my list as well.

I'd also like to hear what some of the Knight Sox have to say about Joe McEwing.

A truly experienced and knowledgeable baseball man will not deal with Kenny.

So, either Kenny's gone too or we have to deal with yet another neophyte.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
Do you guys think Jerry will throw a middle finger to the fans and name Joey Cora?

It would make sense.

If he wants to have crowds of 15-16K or so every game...sure...go ahead.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 03:01 AM)
Ryne Sandburg

I'd give Sandberg a shot as well. Why is Dave Martinez such a better choice?

Sandberg is one of the dullest quotes in baseball. Most people on this board will love the fact he never says anything of note.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 04:09 AM)
I'd give Sandberg a shot as well. Why is Dave Martinez such a better choice?

Sandberg is one of the dullest quotes in baseball. Most people on this board will love the fact he never says anything of note.

Who in the hell cares about a manager's "quotes"? I didn't know that was part of a manager's resume that the Sox should consider.

We want no LaRussa because he's boring and he's been here before? I'd welcome a guy who manages the game strategically, orders a hit out if one of his guys gets hit, and actually knows how to manage. He has his flaws as any manager outside of Madden does, but he knows what the hell he's doing for the most part. You saying pick your manager except for LaRussa is like telling a Bears fan to pick their MLB outside of Urlacher(the obvious pick).

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
We want no LaRussa because he's boring and he's been here before? I'd welcome a guy who manages the game strategically, orders a hit out if one of his guys gets hit, and actually knows how to manage. He has his flaws as any manager outside of Madden does, but he knows what the hell he's doing for the most part. You saying pick your manager except for LaRussa is like telling a Bears fan to pick their MLB outside of Urlacher(the obvious pick).

I know he's people hate him here but in the time I watched him in missouri his teams over achieved, which is an unbelievable idea as a sox fan. A team doing better than expected? Jesus Christ! Amazing!

It's all a crapshoot. A manager is generally only as good as the players perform. Did Joe Torre, who had 1 first place finish in his first 15 years as a manager, become an infinitely better manager when he became the Yankees boss? Or were his players better? Is Ron Gardenhire a bad manager this year?

I'm not saying those guys are bad candidates but I don't expect the Sox to be any better if Rios and Dunn are on the team and performing like they did this year.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
It's all a crapshoot. A manager is generally only as good as the players perform. Did Joe Torre, who had 1 first place finish in his first 15 years as a manager, become an infinitely better manager when he became the Yankees boss? Or were his players better? Is Ron Gardenhire a bad manager this year?

I'm not saying those guys are bad candidates but I don't expect the Sox to be any better if Rios and Dunn are on the team and performing like they did this year.

This is what I don't get about all of the Ozzie supporters. All of you are more or less saying that the manager doesn't matter but you will perform some incredible mental gymnastics to defend Ozzie. Look, you can't have it both ways. Either Ozzie deserves some accountability and actually influences the outcome of the game or we should hire a traffic cone to be manager.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
This is what I don't get about all of the Ozzie supporters. All of you are more or less saying that the manager doesn't matter but you will perform some incredible mental gymnastics to defend Ozzie. Look, you can't have it both ways. Either Ozzie deserves some accountability and actually influences the outcome of the game or we should hire a traffic cone to be manager.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)

For a manager to have a nice win/loss record he better have good players. You are right there. The problem with Ozzie is all the decision making. Leaving Dunn and Rios in the line up as long as he did without even moving them down. Not putting opponents best hitters or hitters that own the pitchers on the mound with first base open on first and letting them beat you time and time again. Never letting his hitters swing at 3-0 meatballs. Continuing to bunt with people who can't bunt. With a LHP on the mound, having Alexei Ramirez bunt a runner over to second so Paulie can be walked and Dunn can strikeout vs the lefty. We have seen way too much of this. Even Hawk appears to have grown weary. Its time for him to go. Its time for KW to go. Maybe in the next couple of years we can all be thanking someone else for winning the WS and they won't let it get to their heads like these 2 knuckleheads let it get to theirs.

Edited by Dick Allen