2012 Manager's Traits

Texsox

We keep tossing out names, but that is a backwards way of hiring someone. A manager has to match the team. Are you looking for a teacher to guide a young team to a championship in three or four years? Are you looking for a motivator to take a group of underachieving veterans over the top? You can ask for everything, but that's impossible to get. So what kind of manager are you looking at?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
It's impossible for a manager to both motivate a group of underachieving veterans and teach young players?

Usually. Most managers find they relate to one much more than the other. I usually like the ones that help and teach the young guys and have a veteran leader "police" the veterans. To do this you need to have a GM who realizes this and brings in "character" veterans.

I also do not like micromanagers. Allow the players to play.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
A manager that is provided a roster that has a chance to win something of significance and players who want to win. Several everyday players who hit line drives to all fields and move runners as well as 4 everyday players who hit a ton of home runs.

So in essence you're saying you want a manager that will surround himself with assistance coaches that can help hitters, especially when the manager is provided with players with historically solid hitting pedigrees?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
So in essence you're saying you want a manager that will surround himself with assistance coaches that can help hitters, especially when the manager is provided with players with historically solid hitting pedigrees?

I'd love to see Frank Thomas be hitting coach.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Interesting concept :lolhitting

I know, right? I'm crazy, what can I say.

BTW, I'm still not buying that Ozzie is gone until Ozzie is gone. I feel like this organization wants to torture me as much as possible and I really do still believe that Ozzie will be back next season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I know, right? I'm crazy, what can I say.

BTW, I'm still not buying that Ozzie is gone until Ozzie is gone. I feel like this organization wants to torture me as much as possible and I really do still believe that Ozzie will be back next season.

I will not believe any rumor until I see him packing his bags, ripping KW and whoever else on his way out. You know he won't keep his mouth shut if it does happen. He is the antithesis of class.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
In all reality, who are we looking at here? I have a hard time believing Jerry would open the pocketbook. Is there even any idea of whom KW wants?

5 main candidates, in my opinion, are:

- LaRussa

- Don Cooper

- Joe McEwing

- Sandy Alomar Jr.

- Dave Martinez

Omar Vizquel is the longshot

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
5 main candidates, in my opinion, are:

- LaRussa

- Don Cooper

- Joe McEwing

- Sandy Alomar Jr.

- Dave Martinez

Omar Vizquel is the longshot

I don't see how hiring any of those guys except LaRussa would be an upgrade or any reason to fire Ozzie.

Aren't there any old guys who are former managers out there? Sox need a Bob Lemonish/Lou Piniellish type old guy as next skipper. I can't think of any out there but that is what they need. I'm sure they are out there. Is Torre really retired for good?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
I really don't see LaRussa as a realistic option. He's just the name to connect. Cooper shouldn't be manager, it's got to be someone these clowns haven't already started ignoring.

Maybe the Twins will can Gardenhire!

with all the injuries the twins have had, no way lol i guess that only leaves us ozzie, too bad :D

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't see how hiring any of those guys except LaRussa would be an upgrade or any reason to fire Ozzie.

Aren't there any old guys who are former managers out there? Sox need a Bob Lemonish/Lou Piniellish type old guy as next skipper. I can't think of any out there but that is what they need. I'm sure they are out there. Is Torre really retired for good?

Which means nothing in this discussion due to your bias.