2012 Manager's Traits

Texsox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
When I think Sandy Alomar Jr., I think Cleveland Indians. The poster I was responding to implied he wanted to get away from the in-house method of hiring this franchise has adopted over the last decade or so (KW, Ozzie, Baines, Raines, Walker, Cora, etc).

Sandy Alomar Jr. is, IMO, very much an in house hire, regardless of the fact that he spent his best years in Cleveland. Tim Raines spent a ton of time in Montreal and NY but he's on your list of in-house hires.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Sandy Alomar Jr. is, IMO, very much an in house hire, regardless of the fact that he spent his best years in Cleveland. Tim Raines spent a ton of time in Montreal and NY but he's on your list of in-house hires.

70 games in 2001. Another 50 or so the next year. 20 in 2006? That doesn't even come out to a full season's worth of games. Raines was our everyday LF for five consecutive seasons.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Sandy Alomar Jr. is connected to this franchise, played here a couple times, even was traded for as a stopgap and was buehrle's private catcher for half a year after the Widge was let go

Might as well add his brother and Carl Everett to that list then.. Hell, Jim Thome had a couple years here. He had his best years in Cleveland and will retire in Cleveland, with a call to the hall with an Indian cap on, but dammit he's in-house with us!

Sandy Alomar Jr. is 'connected' (and I'm doing the same thing J4L did when he quoted it that way) with this franchise cause he had a little taste in sox gear here. I don't think anyone here would consider him an "in-house" name.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Might as well add his brother and Carl Everett to that list then.. Hell, Jim Thome had a couple years here. He had his best years in Cleveland and will retire in Cleveland, with a call to the hall with an Indian cap on, but dammit he's in-house with us!

Just seems like you have to have spent a considerable amount of time with the organization to be worthy of a hire here. We need to get away from that crap.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
Are the veterans going to respond to a rah rah kind of guy? You know, I'm not certain I understand what style manager Ozzie is. He doesn't seem like the Rah Rah type, but he doesn't seem quiet either. He defies discription. I do know repalcing him with another him isn't the answer.

new blood doesn't necessarily mean "rah-rah". Hell...look at Kirk Gibson. Not rah-rah at all. Just a supportive, no bs guy that has surrounded himself with a great staff. The words, "respected" and stature come to mind. I'm not too sure Oz is respected anymore.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
Dave Martinez played with the Sox for three years.

That is a guy I would give a shot to with Hahn.

this would be the best thing the sox can do is hire Dave Martinez ans have Hahn GM ,i always defended Gullien and Williams but the time has come for CHANGE!!!!!!

He should be someone who won't pop off this:

Guillen couldn’t resist taking a poke at those who questioned why it took so long for Dayan Viciedo to be brought up from Class AAA. Viciedo, who hasn’t hit a home run since his first game of the season on Aug. 28 at Seattle, was hitless in his last 12 at-bats and didn’t start Friday.

“Right now ‘The Tank’ is going through a tough time, our savior,” Guillen said. “Remember the guy who was going to take us to the top? He’s had a tough time. I’m going to give him a break.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
He should be someone who won't pop off this:

Guillen couldn’t resist taking a poke at those who questioned why it took so long for Dayan Viciedo to be brought up from Class AAA. Viciedo, who hasn’t hit a home run since his first game of the season on Aug. 28 at Seattle, was hitless in his last 12 at-bats and didn’t start Friday.

“Right now ‘The Tank’ is going through a tough time, our savior,” Guillen said. “Remember the guy who was going to take us to the top? He’s had a tough time. I’m going to give him a break.”

OH FOR F***'S SAKE

YOU COULDN'T RESIST COULD YOU?

DAY 1 WHEN HE'S UP, SAME LINE. DAY 30, GOTTA RUB THE SALT IN THE WOUND MORE!!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
OH FOR F***'S SAKE

YOU COULDN'T RESIST COULD YOU?

DAY 1 WHEN HE'S UP, SAME LINE. DAY 30, GOTTA RUB THE SALT IN THE WOUND MORE!!!!

Its pretty interesting he had nothing to say before this 0-20, and he did have him bat clean up the last week. Ozzie is an ass.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Its pretty interesting he had nothing to say before this 0-20, and he did have him bat clean up the last week. Ozzie is an ass.

I think Ozzie genuinely dislikes him, deep down. I don't think it has anything to do with him as a person, I just think that Ozzie wants him to fail so that he's proven right.

He's like a certain set of posters here who show up when the team is losing big in game threads.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
I think Ozzie genuinely dislikes him, deep down. I don't think it has anything to do with him as a person, I just think that Ozzie wants him to fail so that he's proven right.

He's like a certain set of posters here who show up when the team is losing big in game threads.

I've never felt like Ozzie got along well with the young players on the team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
I've never felt like Ozzie got along well with the young players on the team.

He would with some of them, but it's impossible to predict this one. Viciedo seems like the kind he ought to like, but defeating the evil critics is more important!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)

And he's poison to a young player like Viciedo. Can't be fired quick enough.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
Please stop with the Alomar/Martinez ideas. The LAST thing this team needs is another player's manager.

*another* I'm not certain I would consider Oz a player's manager this season.