2012 Manager's Traits

Texsox

I nominate myself as manager of 2012 White Sox. I have no experience other than watching baseball for years but it can't be that hard.

Check this, I'll use a twitter account so that fans can tweet me the right moves to make during the game. They can tweet me what they think the lineup should be and give reasons why. Hell, they can even tell me stats of certain players so I can bench them if necessary.

I think many minds are better than one and we can all take credit for guiding the SOX to the WS next year.

Who's with me?

Edited by pettie4sox

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
I nominate myself as manager of 2012 White Sox. I have no experience other than watching baseball for years but it can't be that hard.

Check this, I'll use a twitter account so that fans can tweet me the right moves to make during the game. They can tweet me what they think the lineup should be and give reasons why. Hell, they can even tell me stats of certain players so I can bench them if necessary.

I think many minds are better than one and we can all take credit for guiding the SOX to the WS next year.

Who's with me?

*crickets*

Outside of a total lack of energy candidate like another Manuel, I really don't care.

I think more than anything the team needs a breath of fresh air. Some new coaches, a new attitude, a different voice, a different set of spring training rituals, a mental boost more than anything.

Whatever manager comes in I'm likely to hate something he does. As long as it turns into wins in the long run, I'll live.

We have some extremes. Some veterans approaching their last contracts in Mark, PK, AJ, and some players entering their third or fourth season and are really counted on to contribute. The thread goes where it goes, but we do have one for who do you want, but the chances are we're going to see someone that is not a "name". Some asst from another team, maybe a minor league manager. I'm wondering what standard to use to see how he measures up versus who KW hires.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Bring in a young hungry AAA guy. They need new blood.

Are the veterans going to respond to a rah rah kind of guy? You know, I'm not certain I understand what style manager Ozzie is. He doesn't seem like the Rah Rah type, but he doesn't seem quiet either. He defies discription. I do know repalcing him with another him isn't the answer.

I wonder what a guy like LaRussa thinks of our talent.

If we have to replace Ozzie, that would be interesting to me at least, since I blame the players.

See who LaRussa really thinks is a stiff and asks KW to trade or maybe doesn't play. I still say he has to play Dunn and Rios with multi years left on their deals.

I'd think a veteran manager with nothing to lose like LaRussa would be funny in hating on certain players he thinks are stiffs.

Some young guy might be too "respectful" to the veteran talent.

Edited by greg775

Was somebody joking about Hal McRae?

Is he just a good coach and not good manager after his 2 lousy stints as manager?

I actually wouldn't mind him unless he's some sort of guy who just can't be in charge for some reason.

He's a fiery MF or at least he was as a player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Outside of a total lack of energy candidate like another Manuel, I really don't care.

I think more than anything the team needs a breath of fresh air. Some new coaches, a new attitude, a different voice, a different set of spring training rituals, a mental boost more than anything.

Whatever manager comes in I'm likely to hate something he does. As long as it turns into wins in the long run, I'll live.

Yes, Yes and Yes! +1

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
Are the veterans going to respond to a rah rah kind of guy? You know, I'm not certain I understand what style manager Ozzie is. He doesn't seem like the Rah Rah type, but he doesn't seem quiet either. He defies discription. I do know repalcing him with another him isn't the answer.

There's only one other manager I can think of that would constantly bat Adam Dunn 4th would be Dusty Baker. Ozzie is like a Bobby Knight with the media but a too friendly with the players. That's why there is probably some complacency along with no fear of losing their starting jobs because of a weak farm system.

Reinsdorf needs to ditch the loyalty thing.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I know, right? I'm crazy, what can I say.

BTW, I'm still not buying that Ozzie is gone until Ozzie is gone. I feel like this organization wants to torture me as much as possible and I really do still believe that Ozzie will be back next season.

I haven't been to a game since late April, and I won't be at one again until either Ozzie or Kenny is gone. Quite frankly, both have to go, but I can at least justify going (albeit, not all that happily) if one is fired. Although, if Kenny were to be fired and Ozzie kept, I'm not sure what I'd do because that would mean Ozzie is running the organization.

As for a manager, just stuff that has been mentioned. A guy who values outs, treats the other teams best players like they're good, and doesn't make himself into the story. Also, in an organization sense (this includes the manager), I'd like to see young hitters look like they are actually coached. Hasn't been a lot of that in recent years.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
I just want somebody who's never been a associated with the organization in any way. A new perspective is much needed.

Never been associated? I'd definitely be down with Martinez or Alomar Jr. But they're not 'connected' to the franchise. So I know what you mean.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
Never been associated? I'd definitely be down with Martinez or Alomar Jr. But they're not 'connected' to the franchise. So I know what you mean.

Sandy Alomar Jr. is connected to this franchise, played here a couple times, even was traded for as a stopgap and was buehrle's private catcher for half a year after the Widge was let go

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Sandy Alomar Jr. is connected to this franchise, played here a couple times, even was traded for as a stopgap and was buehrle's private catcher for half a year after the Widge was let go

When I think Sandy Alomar Jr., I think Cleveland Indians. The poster I was responding to implied he wanted to get away from the in-house method of hiring this franchise has adopted over the last decade or so (KW, Ozzie, Baines, Raines, Walker, Cora, etc).

Edited by Jordan4life