2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Pujols broke his 0-for-21 slump Thursday afternoon, singling in a loss to the Rays.

Pujols was thrown out trying to extend that single into a double, however, so there's not much cause for celebration. The $250 million man is batting just .224/.280/.316 with no home runs and only four RBI in 19 games this season, and appears to be headed for a career-worst campaign. The high-priced Angels are in last place in the American League West with a 6-13 record.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman ready to “wear it” now that he's traded his top prospect for a pitcher headed for an operating table and an uncertain future. He knows fans are angry: “I understand their frustration. I'm disappointed. I'm devastated by the same thing. I'm doing a job and that job involves making very difficult decisions. You hope that those decisions work out. It's not looking good at all so you're experiencing the blowback from that. I see it and I'll wear it.”

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Albert Pujols broke his 0-for-21 slump Thursday afternoon, singling in a loss to the Rays.

Pujols was thrown out trying to extend that single into a double, however, so there's not much cause for celebration. The $250 million man is batting just .224/.280/.316 with no home runs and only four RBI in 19 games this season, and appears to be headed for a career-worst campaign. The high-priced Angels are in last place in the American League West with a 6-13 record.

20 games down, 0 HR's, 4 RBI, OPS below .600 in 80 AB's. The Angels are only 1 game ahead of KC for the worst record in baseball. Wow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:34 PM)
Bobby Abreu: he gone. I wonder if that means Mike Trout will be joing Harper in getting called up to the majors

Edit: And there it is, Mike Trout has been called up

Abreu is gone and he had a comparable OPS and more RBI than Pujols in half the AB's.

Edited by RME JICO

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id...sion-gone-wrong

Fallout from the Pineda trade for Cashman/Yankees.

Sweaty Garcia got rocked again, btw.

Manager Mike Scioscia has seemed unusually uptight during the Angels' awful start, which had been illustrated best by 76 homerless at-bats from Albert Pujols entering the weekend. The Rangers have outhomered their American League West rivals in each of the previous 12 seasons, and led them 31-13 entering the weekend. It will be interesting to see if there are repercussions from Torii Hunter questioning game strategy and saying he means "everybody, not just the players,'' when he questions whether the preseason favorites have been going through the motions. …

From Phil Rogers' "MLB Whispers" column

Edited by caulfield12

Tent collapsed outside of Busch stadium in STL after today's game.

One person died Saturday and more than a dozen were taken to a hospital with injuries after high winds blew over a beer tent near Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

At least five others were critically injured and up to 100 people were treated at the scene after straight-line winds whipped through a large tent near Kilroy's Sports Bar, where about 200 people were celebrating after the Cardinals beat Milwaukee 7-3 earlier in the afternoon, officials said.

Eddie Roth, a spokesman for the St. Louis Department of Public Safety, said winds of about 50 mph shattered aluminum poles that held up the tent, which was located south of the stadium. The force of the wind blew the tent onto an adjacent railroad bridge.

"It was crazy, scary," said Annie Randall, whose family owns Kilroy's. "We're just so sorry this happened."

Dodgers and Nationals in one of the most exciting games of the season (along with last weekend's Red Sox/Yankees). Two best teams in the NL right now, both teams score 2 runs in the 9th, Nationals to take the lead and the Dodgers to rally for the tie and near win.

Strasburg tears through the Dodgers for most of the game. 9 k's and 5 hits in his 7 IP, along with a double at the plate.

Harper with his first MLB hit, a double.

Harper shows off perhaps the best outfield arm in recent MLB history from LF...gunning down a runner at 3rd but the ball getting punched out of Ramos' glove.

Dodgers rally to tie with an incredible inning against a closer (Henry Rodriguez) throwing 100-102 MPH. Tying run scores off a wild pitch at 102, Juan Uribe coming up with a huge RBI double.

Jesus, the White Sox miss those clutch RBI's from the likes of Uribe and Crede, as an aside.

Two wild pitches (one resulting in a K) end up going to the backstop at 102. Rodriguez finally pulled by Davey Johnson, ex-Cub Tom Gorzelanny gets out of the inning and they're in extras.

Matt Kemp wins the best game of the season with a walkoff homer to center in the bottom of the 10th.

MVP! MVP! MVP! Chants the crowd.

Priceless. A game like that one, the pure beauty of all the elements coming together, pitching, throwing, hitting, running...there's no game like it in the world.

Pujols hasn't hit a home run in an Angels uniform, a streak of 21 games and 84 at-bats. He has not connected since Sept. 22, an overall stretch of 113 at-bats, and remains stuck at 445 career homers.

and the drought continues......

Harpers throw tonight was incredible.

I know a lot of people already hate Harper because he seems like a big douchebag, but I am really excited to see what he can do. He looks like an incredible athlete and personality aside, I want to see this guy do big things. Thank god that Mike Trout is around so there is a likable young superstar to follow as well.

Harper highlights package from MLB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...79&c_id=mlb

Double off the CF wall, his throw from LF, first RBI....2:46 minutes

The thing that really struck me was how fast and dynamic and energetic he was out there. Like he's playing in a different gear...when you're used to watching the White Sox for all these years, haven't seen anyone tearing around the basepaths like that since Pods in 2005 and Durham before him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Strasburg tears through the Dodgers for most of the game. 9 k's and 5 hits in his 7 IP, along with a double at the plate.

It's amazing to me what he's doing this season. Usually it takes two years to really be back where you were after TJ surgery. It's like he never missed a beat watching him pitch out there.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
It's amazing to me what he's doing this season. Usually it takes two years to really be back where you were after TJ surgery. It's like he never missed a beat watching him pitch out there.

Technically it has been a year and 3/4 or so, right?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
And Chone Figgins already has 2 homers

Now at 22 games and 88 AB's for Pujols. He has never had a homerless month in the majors. Batting just .216 and OPS around .575 with just 4 RBI. Even if he returns to last year's form for the remainder of the season, he will only hit around 26 HRs and have 75 RBI - and this is the best hitter in baseball. Maybe those rumors about his age have more substance than everyone has thought.

This just baffles me because he has been so good for so long, and now he just drops off the map.