All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
ManU now have 3 top-tier strikers in Rooney, Van Persie, and Falcao along with a great distributor in Di Maria.

They've only scored one goal so far in the Premier League. If they don't start scoring some more with a front line of Rooney, Falcao, Mata, and Di Maria, then Van Gaal will surely be on the hot seat.

I won't argue with that overall, but I really don't think Mata is all that good. He certainly isn't on the same level as the company listed there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
I won't argue with that overall, but I really don't think Mata is all that good. He certainly isn't on the same level as the company listed there.

Probably not, but I'd say he's one of the better midfielders in the PL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hat-trick for Diego Costa today. I think he's the perfect striker for Chelsea. He's not the quickest, most creative, skillful type of striker who can make something for himself, but they don't need that with players like Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar et al. Costa's positioning, anticipation and movement in the box is amazing, and his finishing is clinical. As long as he keeps the hamstring problems under control there's a very good chance he finishes as top scorer in the league.

http://deadspin.com/gus-johnson-is-out-as-...-1634809321/all

Gus Johnson out as top announcer for Soccer for Fox. Not a surprise, he was bad. The article sums up my complaints except not really mentioned how he would manufacture his fake "start yelling" when something was close.

Not anything against GJ, he's decent at other sports, just didn't work for soccer.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
http://deadspin.com/gus-johnson-is-out-as-...-1634809321/all

Gus Johnson out as top announcer for Soccer for Fox. Not a surprise, he was bad. The article sums up my complaints except not really mentioned how he would manufacture his fake "start yelling" when something was close.

Not anything against GJ, he's decent at other sports, just didn't work for soccer.

Gus should stick to sports where you yell a lot, not sports when you only yell around twice every game.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
The article sums up my complaints except not really mentioned how he would manufacture his fake "start yelling" when something was close.

That was my biggest complaint with Gus. Other things he probably would have gotten better at with time, but it's just not that type of sport. You need to feel the build up gradually in anticipation, you can't just yell suddenly like he would.

Wow, Man Utd go down 5-3 at Leicester after leading 3-1. They are going to provide plenty of entertainment this year. World class attack. Di Maria in particular has looked excellent and they're going to score goals. Defensively though they are so frail. There's not an above average defender in their squad (and there may not even be an average defender). I think Blind and Herrera are too lightweight in the center of the park also, and can't give the defense enough cover. They need an all-action midfield enforcer, someone like Vidal or Strootman, plus a top class center back (Benatia would have been a good fit but he went to Bayern) or Hummels, someone of that ilk. Still a long way for them to go.

There have been some good game this weekend, especially for me as a West Ham fan. 3-1 win against Liverpool was a great result and performance. Steven Gerrard was invisible during this game, as was the case during the World Cup and towards the end of last season. He's been a great servant for Liverpool but I think he's done and is only holding them back now. As for my Hammers, I'm loving all the summer signings made by the club. Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia offer pace, power, determination and work rate in attack and give the team a new dimension going forward that has not been present at any point during Sam Allardyce's reign. Cheikhou Kouyate has looked studly in the heart of midfield and could become a top quality player (he has been compared to both Yaya Toure and Patrick Vieira this year leading to the nickname Yaya Vieira... nothing but realistic expectations there!). Alex Song's class and quality on the ball is a cut above. Aaron Cresswell looks very solid at left-back. Zarate brings some much needed flair and creativity. The midfield trio of Song, Kouyate and Noble can be a real strong point and Downing looks a completely different player after a disappointing debut campaign last year. Most importantly I am really happy that the club have decided to move away from signing old players who are past their peak to signing younger (though admittedly unproven) talent that can improve and develop and help to take the club to the next level (competing for European places in the next year or two, hopefully). A lot of reasons to be positive right now. (Hopefully I'm not overrating to what may prove to be just a fast start...)

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 21, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
Wow, Man Utd go down 5-3 at Leicester after leading 3-1. They are going to provide plenty of entertainment this year. World class attack. Di Maria in particular has looked excellent and they're going to score goals. Defensively though they are so frail. There's not an above average defender in their squad (and there may not even be an average defender). I think Blind and Herrera are too lightweight in the center of the park also, and can't give the defense enough cover. They need an all-action midfield enforcer, someone like Vidal or Strootman, plus a top class center back (Benatia would have been a good fit but he went to Bayern) or Hummels, someone of that ilk. Still a long way for them to go.

There have been some good game this weekend, especially for me as a West Ham fan. 3-1 win against Liverpool was a great result and performance. Steven Gerrard was invisible during this game, as was the case during the World Cup and towards the end of last season. He's been a great servant for Liverpool but I think he's done and is only holding them back now. As for my Hammers, I'm loving all the summer signings made by the club. Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia offer pace, power, determination and work rate in attack and give the team a new dimension going forward that has not been present at any point during Sam Allardyce's reign. Cheikhou Kouyate has looked studly in the heart of midfield and could become a top quality player (he has been compared to both Yaya Toure and Patrick Vieira this year leading to the nickname Yaya Vieira... nothing but realistic expectations there!). Alex Song's class and quality on the ball is a cut above. Aaron Cresswell looks very solid at left-back. Zarate brings some much needed flair and creativity. The midfield trio of Song, Kouyate and Noble can be a real strong point and Downing looks a completely different player after a disappointing debut campaign last year. Most importantly I am really happy that the club have decided to move away from signing old players who are past their peak to signing younger (though admittedly unproven) talent that can improve and develop and help to take the club to the next level (competing for European places in the next year or two, hopefully). A lot of reasons to be positive right now. (Hopefully I'm not overrating to what may prove to be just a fast start...)

I laughed hard at that.

Although they had a terrible call go against them on a penalty when it was 3-1 that got Leicester back in the game. The Leicester player basically shoved the ManU defender out of the way and then dove in the box. Just awful officiating.

Global warming, amazing how much hotter it is there now than when the games were awarded.

Qatar really didn't think this through. They covered the bribes for the initial vote in 2010, but didn't plan for needing to continue to bribe officials for another several years to keep FIFA from changing its mind.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
In Euro qualifying, Poland beat Germany for the first time EVER. I'm sure they will screw up the rest of qualifying somehow, but pretty awesome to finally beat them.

Playing Scotland tomorrow, 1:30PM. I agree they always find a way to screw things up, however with the new Euro format (24 teams), two top teams qualify directly, I like their chances. They have a good squad just have to put it together.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
In Euro qualifying, Poland beat Germany for the first time EVER. I'm sure they will screw up the rest of qualifying somehow, but pretty awesome to finally beat them.

Germany out-shot and out-possession'd Poland by quite a bit.

9Uy6HOl.jpg

A lot of people were joking they got FIFA'd (the video game).

Edited by chw42

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
FIFA has cleared Qatar and Russia of any wrongdoing in regards to their bids for the World Cup. Of course.

And what makes it even better is that they went out of their way to criticize the England FA for the way they conducted their bid and suggested there improprieties on their part during the process :lol:

FIFA is so comically corrupt, that if they were a made up organization in some film/novel/television series no one would take them seriously as a believable entity

And what makes it even better is that they went out of their way to criticize the England FA for the way they conducted their bid and suggested there improprieties on their part during the process :lol:

FIFA is so comically corrupt, that if they were a made up organization in some film/novel/television series no one would take them seriously as a believable entity

The only way Qatar will lose the 2022 World Cup is if several big sponsors pull their money and/or several soccer powers decide to boycott, and I don't give either a very large chance of happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
David Luiz was voted in FIFA's Team of the Year. Makes no sense whatsoever. He's a CB that doesn't even defend well. Guys like Godin, Boateng, and Hummels got snubbed.

:lol: you've gotta be kidding. DaviD Luiz is such crap. He's not even the best CB on PSG. FIFA voting is absurd.