All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
I disagree. Having Morris or even Agudelo on the roster gives us a speed weapon we could play on the wing, unlike any other forward we are bringing. I'm over Wondo, waste of a roster spot IMO.

In a long-term way and against strong teams I agree. They can switch out some players after the group stage and most of the media I follow are assuming Klinsmann will do so. Wondo is a good player to have against a team that bunkers because of his movement, which is exactly what the US will need against the CONCACAF minnows. That said, I still agree with you that I'd rather see someone else go to at least get the experience.

Anyone see how good Eduardo Vargas was yesterday for Chile? He almost scored a hat trick and hit a screamer from 34 yards out.

It's crazy how he's not being used more at Napoli. His loan at QPR was pretty poor last year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Anyone see how good Eduardo Vargas was yesterday for Chile? He almost scored a hat trick and hit a screamer from 34 yards out.

It's crazy how he's not being used more at Napoli. His loan at QPR was pretty poor last year.

He had one substitute appearance against Liverpool in which he was unstoppable. That was one of the best games of the seasons that I watched. Overall he was just highly inconsistent and then got hurt. A common theme for South American's in the Premier League.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)

The goal was a thing of beauty, and the goal improperly called offside was almost just as good

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 06:24 AM)
He had one substitute appearance against Liverpool in which he was unstoppable. That was one of the best games of the seasons that I watched. Overall he was just highly inconsistent and then got hurt. A common theme for South American's in the Premier League.

I hear Arsenal's interested in bringing him in to pair with Alexis. That would be a good change for him IMO.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)
I hear Arsenal's interested in bringing him in to pair with Alexis. That would be a good change for him IMO.

I don't think he's good enough for Arsenal though.

QPR were just a mess of a team last season, he probably needs to go to a mid table team like Stoke or somewhere if he wants to stay in the Premier League, just to get some consistent playing time more than anything.

West Ham are already starting their season tonight as well, we're playing some Andorran team in the 1st Qualifying Round of the Europa League, think it's one of the shortest breaks any team has ever had for an off-season.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
West Ham are already starting their season tonight as well, we're playing some Andorran team in the 1st Qualifying Round of the Europa League, think it's one of the shortest breaks any team has ever had for an off-season.

I'm hoping to see a few of the younger guys play today. Reece Oxford in particular as he's supposedly the most promising one coming through the academy at present. Though with it being Bilic's first game in charge he'll probably play it fairly safe.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
I'm hoping to see a few of the younger guys play today. Reece Oxford in particular as he's supposedly the most promising one coming through the academy at present. Though with it being Bilic's first game in charge he'll probably play it fairly safe.

Think I saw a lineup where him and Burke are starting which is good.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Today is the one day off between the end of the women's WC and the men's Gold Cup. I know you think my expectations are too high, but I'll be disappointed at anything less than six wins for the US.

so you'll be disappointed with a 5-0-1 Gold Cup title run?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
A draw would be a subpar result playing at home against anybody in that group.

US actually has the most difficult group by far. Honduras and Panama are far from pushovers, meanwhile, Mexico's toughest opponent is T&T and Costa Rica's is Jamaica.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
The U.S. Men's team needs an Improvement in strength and conditioning. They constantly look out of shape.

I wouldnt say constantly but didnt look good tonight.

1. Should've gotten smoked tonight. Guess this team still has a big head from their meaningless friendly wins.

2. Klinnsman still showing he has zero clue on a back line. That is the best four? That line was so bad that Chandler wasnt nowhere near being the worst of the bunch.

3. Klinnsman has he favorites(anyone with a German born parent) but if you end up on his s*** list then its lights out for you.

4. This ref sucked even by CONCACAF standards. Honduras was hacking away all match long and he let them get away with it.

5. But its always fun to be dirty/cheap ass Central American teams. Between the flopping and hacking, it's annoying watching these teams.

I wasn't able to watch the game, but from the box score, it looks like Honduras had the ball quite a bit in our half. We were a lot more clinical with our chances, which is why we won, but 16 shots is a ton of chances to give up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
Why did Klinnsman play Alvarado instead of Gonzalez? I really hope Besler not being on the roster has something to do with MLS. Otherwise, he should definitely be on the roster.

3. Klinnsman has he favorites(anyone with a German born parent) but if you end up on his s*** list then its lights out for you.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)

1. Should've gotten smoked tonight. Guess this team still has a big head from their meaningless friendly wins.

2. Klinnsman still showing he has zero clue on a back line. That is the best four? That line was so bad that Chandler wasnt nowhere near being the worst of the bunch.

4. This ref sucked even by CONCACAF standards. Honduras was hacking away all match long and he let them get away with it.

5. But its always fun to be dirty/cheap ass Central American teams. Between the flopping and hacking, it's annoying watching these teams.

Agree with all of the above. US looked awful for the most part. I really like Zardes and Yedlin, but they are a forward and fullback, respectively, not mid fielders. Chandler is so weird. He's constantly graded as one of the better RBs in the Bundesliga but just looks terrible on the National team. I don't know why Eric Lichaj can't get a call. And Alvarado is not ready for this stage either. Gonzalez should be there. It sounds ridiculous, but I can actually see a scenario where Cameron Carter Vickers is one of our starters at CB in 2018.

And yes, that ref was completely over his head last night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
The U.S. Men's team needs an Improvement in strength and conditioning. They constantly look out of shape.

I actually think historically conditioning has been one of our strengths, however, yesterday, they looked totally out of shape.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)

I thought US was the superior team in the first half (and had a couple other golden ops that they didn't capitalize on). They got tired and were up and completely collapsed but by no means can I say they should have gotten smoked. Those last 20-30 minutes were ugly, but at the same time, a lot of those Honduras ops in the 2nd half were due to brutal non-calls by the officials. Defense was horrifically sloppy and technique was brutal. Just not aggressive in coming up to draw the off-sides and just very non-instinctive.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
Agree with all of the above. US looked awful for the most part. I really like Zardes and Yedlin, but they are a forward and fullback, respectively, not mid fielders. Chandler is so weird. He's constantly graded as one of the better RBs in the Bundesliga but just looks terrible on the National team. I don't know why Eric Lichaj can't get a call. And Alvarado is not ready for this stage either. Gonzalez should be there. It sounds ridiculous, but I can actually see a scenario where Cameron Carter Vickers is one of our starters at CB in 2018.

And yes, that ref was completely over his head last night.

Bedoya needs to start over Zardes. Zardes is fine right now as a sub in last 20-30 minutes.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Bedoya needs to start over Zardes. Zardes is fine right now as a sub in last 20-30 minutes.

Apparently Bedoya is still getting into full match shape. He missed the last several weeks at Nantes with a knee bruise. He's 100% but isn't in match condition yet. I'm guessing that is why he did not start...might be hoping to hold him back until the knockout rounds. But yes, Bedoya should be in our starting MF no matter who is available IMO