Penn State horror story

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
The NCAA said the $60 million was equivalent to the average annual revenue of the football program. The NCAA ordered Penn State to pay the penalty funds into an endowment for "external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."

So the NCAA is forcing them to set up their fund for paying off victims? That is hardly a punishment then. They are going to have to do that anyway.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Somewhere down in Florida, Bobby Bowden is doing the happy dance.

So going from a guy that covered up a sex abuse scandal to a guy that had multiple grading scandals and God knows what other activity against the rules.

College football everybody!

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
So the NCAA is forcing them to set up their fund for paying off victims? That is hardly a punishment then. They are going to have to do that anyway.

No. These are national programs they will be funding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)

No. The $60M goes into a fund which will be used to help organizations nationwide that are related to child sex abuse including the prevention of. It's not to pay off the victims directly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Where does the $60M come from? Odds are good of it impacting academics imo.

Supposedly they are sending someone down to make sure the money isn't getting funneled out of other sports programs and university programs into football. So we'll see.

"I generally respect stephen a. Smith but today, he was out of bounds. Yes, this should be about the children but not via the destruction of a university program"

One of my friends on FB.

So very tempted to slap the f*** out of him.

I am not sure what to make about the vacating of wins. I am glad to see Paterno lose the title of winningest coach, but those games were legitmately won on the field by non-cheating players who had no idea about what was going on. Above all else, that portion of the sanctions seems especially harsh. Not going to lose too much sleep over it though.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I am not sure what to make about the vacating of wins. I am glad to see Paterno lose the title of winningest coach, but those games were legitmately won on the field by non-cheating players who had no idea about what was going on. Above all else, that portion of the sanctions seems especially harsh. Not going to lose too much sleep over it though.

Vacating wins is all symbolic. It's an attack on Paterno. It's not like people don't know that they won the games.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
"I generally respect stephen a. Smith but today, he was out of bounds. Yes, this should be about the children but not via the destruction of a university program"

One of my friends on FB.

So very tempted to slap the f*** out of him.

I don't think that's all that unreasonable actually. I'm fine with the punishment, but I also can see the other side. This atrocity was permitted by a small handful of people. The ex-players/coaches and the hundreds of thousands of alumni and fans had nothing to do with this. And now they've lost a gigantic part of their sports life for the next 6-8+ years.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
The whole reason the thing was covered up was to preserve the shiny, moral image of their favorite sports team and their God-Coach.

And that was a terrible decision made by a very small number of people in secret.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Vacating wins is all symbolic. It's an attack on Paterno. It's not like people don't know that they won the games.

Yeah, I think that penalty may have been specifically imposed just to knock JoePa off the top of the mountain, and I have no problem with that aspect of it.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
And that was a terrible decision made by a very small number of people in secret.

People in charge of their favorite sports team actively making decisions to protect the reputation of that sports team at the expense of children. Children who lost more than 6-8 years of their "sports life."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
People in charge of their favorite sports team actively making decisions to protect the reputation of that sports team at the expense of children. Children who lost more than 6-8 years of their "sports life."

I get the argument, and i'm not trying to equate the two losses. I'm just saying I can see why people think the punishment is punishing more than just the few people that were trying to protect the university.

As of last year PSU football staff was sending out letters to COMMITTED players of other Big Ten schools counting their transgressions and bragging about their clean record. Today, their program has just died due to the beyond stupid actions of a few men who loved football more than the lives of children.

I feel bad for the victims as this doesnt help them at all, but hopefully seeing the organization that allowed this to continue being brought down gives them some sort of comfort today.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Here's the Paterno statement before they make it, they would like to remind you that these sanctions

"do not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky's horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State community."

BTW, way to kick Paterno and family with the vacated wins just for good measure. Good for them.

Exactly. I love it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
It's an NCAA sanction-it's meant to impact the program as a whole and to serve as an example to anyone who might ever contemplate similar actions.

I'm one of the few that think the NCAA was out of bounds here and got caught up in media frenzy/court of public opinion/mob mentality (you choose). I don't agree with the NCAA's actions at all. And I am NOT a Penn St. fan or a Paterno apologist.