Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
The sanctions are not enough.

Opinions vary. I think I am still the only one that thinks the NCAA's nose didn't belong here in the first place. I reserve the right to change my mind, but I have yet to hear an argument that makes me think the NCAA should have any jurisdiction or purpose here.

Soxbadger, I agree with your premise. I'm not getting into the point by point of your argument, but I do firmly belive this has all been done as a result of a mob mentality so to speak. I think the NCAA felt they had to act because it was the right thing to do based on public outcry.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Opinions vary. I think I am still the only one that thinks the NCAA's nose didn't belong here in the first place. I reserve the right to change my mind, but I have yet to hear an argument that makes me think the NCAA should have any jurisdiction or purpose here.

Soxbadger, I agree with your premise. I'm not getting into the point by point of your argument, but I do firmly belive this has all been done as a result of a mob mentality so to speak. I think the NCAA felt they had to act because it was the right thing to do based on public outcry.

This is from the NCAA constitution:

2.4 The Principle of Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct.

For intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants, to enhance the integrity of higher education and to promote civility in society, student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with these athletics programs and events should adhere to such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation, but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program. It is the responsibility of each institution to:

(a) Establish policies for sportsmanship and ethical conduct in intercollegiate athletics consistent with the educational mission and goals of the institution; and

(b) Educate, on a continuing basis, all constituencies about the policies in this article.

In fact, just read the stuff at the link.

There is no language within the guidelines under lack of institutional control that definitively limits their jurisdiction to violations rather than criminal activity or unethical conduct. If Penn State chose to fight, they may have had a case because there was no enumerated rule that they broke, but it was within their purview and will be in the future.

I think just a fine should have been enough..

Why is the football program getting punished for something that had nothing to do with football?

Hit them with the fine and remove all the Paterno stuff, thats really all that should have been done. At least they can transfer without having to sit out.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)

Why is the football program getting punished for something that had nothing to do with football?

Hit them with the fine and remove all the Paterno stuff, thats really all that should have been done. At least they can transfer without having to sit out.

Did you read the Freeh report?

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)

It was about the institutional culture and decisions made to protect the football program's image.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Did you read the Freeh report?

Nope, I dont really care. I just think that the heavy fine and exile of Joe Paterno from everything Penn State would be enough. I dont see why wins were vacated, its not like they had some advantage on the field. The only thing I can come of that was to hit Paterno again.

Either way, the NCAA raped Penn State today.. it was kind of fitting.

My twisted logic on the vacated wins is this: Paterno and the higher ups chose to hide this evil deed(s) from the public in order to shield their program from any negativity they would get from the reaction that the fabled D-Coordinator was in fact a child rapist. While there was no outright visible competitive advantage, there was an advantage that nobody knew, so recruits wouldnt be scared off, donors wouldnt withhold donations, the program maintained its pristine image. There was a benefit to the program to keep this under lock and key.

The vacated wins are symbolic, nothing else. Those games were won, fair and square. But now in the books, everyone has to see Paterno down at 12 instead of 1, and they will always know why that was. It is a point that will never be forgotten.

Thats just my opinion

Here are some twitter reactions to the sanctions

http://deadspin.com/5928385/i-hope-u-all-f...tate-punishment

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Nope, I dont really care. I just think that the heavy fine and exile of Joe Paterno from everything Penn State would be enough. I dont see why wins were vacated, its not like they had some advantage on the field. The only thing I can come of that was to hit Paterno again.

Multiple people allowed children to continue to be raped in an attempt to protect THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM. Had the proper steps been taken by JoePa and Co. there would have been a huge black eye on the program from the time it was made public. So in essence by covering it up, and letting children continue to be raped gave them an advantage on the field by keeping the programs name clean and allowing them to freely recruit without this huge cloud hanging over their heads.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
Sucks for all the former players, current players, and fans who had nothing to do with this and now are being punished because of a few guys stupidity.

Welcome to the NCAA. That's pretty much how every punishment gets handed out.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Multiple people allowed children to continue to be raped in an attempt to protect THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM. Had the proper steps been taken by JoePa and Co. there would have been a huge black eye on the program from the time it was made public. So in essence by covering it up, and letting children continue to be raped gave them an advantage on the field by keeping the programs name clean and allowing them to freely recruit without this huge cloud hanging over their heads.

Oh whatever, if they had done something immediately it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Oh whatever, if they had done something immediately it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.

If they did something immediately, Joe Pa could have been a hero IMO. But I think they honestly thought they could completely bury it

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

They had a HUGE recruiting advantage by not reporting that one of their current and then former coaches was raping little boys. Check out what happens to their recruiting classes now. Covering this up had ALOT to do with keeping the football machine going.

As for people saying "dont punish people who had nothing to do with it", just about every NCAA punishment hurts people who had nothing to do with it, my team cant play in a bowl this season because of players and a coach that arent there anymore, I didnt see anyone crying about that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Welcome to the NCAA. That's pretty much how every punishment gets handed out.

You can't punish an institution without affecting innocent people. When Enron was brought down, plenty of innocent people lost their jobs and their pensions/retirement accounts.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
This whole incident gives you a new perspective on how large collegiate sports have become. These colleges have become religions.

It's a multi-million dollar business where sports coaches are the highest paid people on campus while academic departments (you know, the actual point of colleges) get the ax.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
They had a HUGE recruiting advantage by not reporting that one of their current and then former coaches was raping little boys. Check out what happens to their recruiting classes now. Covering this up had ALOT to do with keeping the football machine going.

As for people saying "dont punish people who had nothing to do with it", just about every NCAA punishment hurts people who had nothing to do with it, my team cant play in a bowl this season because of players and a coach that arent there anymore, I didnt see anyone crying about that.

There is a difference between taking away past wins and future sanctions.

I dont think anyone has a problem with Penn State losing scholarships or post season bans in the future. Its about taking away wins in games that were no way impacted by inappropriate player behavior. Usually some player has done something wrong is the reason for vacating the game (ie they werent eligible due to improper benefit therefore the game doesnt count), but in this case there is 0 evidence any PSU player committed a wrong doing.

So take away Paternos victories, but why hurt the players?

Strangesox,

But in this instance you could have easily not hurt the players. You "suspend Paterno" ex post facto, and take away all the games he won and lost over the last 8 years. The games stay, just Paterno is hurt.

It doesnt hurt Penn State as much, but the games really werent impacted, and the future sanctions are to hurt PSU.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)

Well the players have a free out. There isn't really a way to correctly punish a program without effecting some innocent players/fans. Just how it is. Your program f***ed up, the program pays for it. If this Paterno thing happened at Illinois it would suck, but I would completely understand the punishment.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
There is a difference between taking away past wins and future sanctions.

I dont think anyone has a problem with Penn State losing scholarships or post season bans in the future. Its about taking away wins in games that were no way impacted by inappropriate player behavior. Usually some player has done something wrong is the reason for vacating the game (ie they werent eligible due to improper benefit therefore the game doesnt count), but in this case there is 0 evidence any PSU player committed a wrong doing.

So take away Paternos victories, but why hurt the players?

Strangesox,

But in this instance you could have easily not hurt the players. You "suspend Paterno" ex post facto, and take away all the games he won and lost over the last 8 years. The games stay, just Paterno is hurt.

It doesnt hurt Penn State as much, but the games really werent impacted, and the future sanctions are to hurt PSU.

But this wasn't just Paterno. This was the football program and other people at the university. Taking away the wins from more than Paterno is fine. They, as a whole, covered up a child rapist to help obtain a lot of those wins. They put W's before morals, ethics and the law. Time to correct that.

Also, do the former players really give a s*** if their wins were vacated? How does that really hurt them? They know they played, they have the memories...I doubt many of them are in uproar over "their" wins being vacated, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you guys think Penn State will now suck in football for 10 years or so?

To me it seems the sanctions wlll affect the team more in years three through six than the next two years ... if the juniors and seniors decide to stay.

To me the four year bowl ban was the NCAAs way of making sure PSU football sucked.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)

Of course it wouldnt have been nearly as bad. Thats what makes this so bad is because they didnt do anything to stop it. Regardless, youre out of your mind if you dont think having a former coach getting caught raping multiple children wouldnt hurt recruiting. Every other competing university will use that against PSU when talking to recruits and their families. So instead of PSU doing the right thing they created a massive cover up to protect the school football program, which is why the football program is being punished. The football players have the freedom to transfer if they wish and regular students arent affected by this one way or another. I dont see what is so hard to follow about this.