Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attorney Joe Amendola told The Associated Press in a phone interview that Sandusky told him that even if people believe he is guilty of the crimes for which he was convicted in June, it would be "ridiculous" to think Penn State administrators engaged in a cover-up.

"He continues to believe that the truth will come out at some point, and that he'll get another trial or another opportunity to establish his innocence," Amendola said.

I find it hard to believe that this guy lives in the same reality that the rest of us do.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
I find it hard to believe that this guy lives in the same reality that the rest of us do.

He doesn't. Quite literally he doesn't. It's very unlikely that he thinks, to this day, that he did anything wrong.

Amendola said he expects sentencing will occur in September, although a date has not been set. Sandusky, who did not testify on his own behalf during the trial, has been writing a statement to read to Judge John Cleland at sentencing that will address all 10 sets of charges.

"Whether he winds up doing it despite what I tell him is going to be up to him," Amendola said. "It's his life."

Looks like Amendola is like "I wouldnt really read that letter if I were you"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:21 PM)
Looks like Amendola is like "I wouldnt really read that letter if I were you"

Exactly! How f***ing dumb can this piece of s*** abuser be? I mean the man is guilty and about to be sentenced. And he's going to deny all the charges in front of the sentencer? Yikes. I hope the judge rips him a new one after reading his sentence. ... Why is it taking so long to sentence him? Serious question to the attorneys on here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
Exactly! How f***ing dumb can this piece of s*** abuser be? I mean the man is guilty and about to be sentenced. And he's going to deny all the charges in front of the sentencer? Yikes. I hope the judge rips him a new one after reading his sentence. ... Why is it taking so long to sentence him? Serious question to the attorneys on here.

I'm not sure he's "Dumb", or at least that's not the word I'd use. The phrase I'd use is "faulty wiring". He genuinely doesn't think he has done anything wrong. That is not an uncommon sentiment in these cases.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
I'm not sure he's "Dumb", or at least that's not the word I'd use. The phrase I'd use is "faulty wiring". He genuinely doesn't think he has done anything wrong. That is not an uncommon sentiment in these cases.

Yeah that's about right. He actually believes he loves these kids and that they have a relationship. If you talked to him, I'd bet he'd say that the world doesn't understand and the victims were forced to testify (which was basically their defense). And then you would throw up.

Just can't accept the fact that he covered up child rape for the betterment of his program. Just keep trying to save his name, even though it will never happen at this point. All of you can go f*** yourselves for completely missing what's important in all of this.

Also, good luck with the appeal. LMAO.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
Just can't accept the fact that he covered up child rape for the betterment of his program. Just keep trying to save his name, even though it will never happen at this point. All of you can go f*** yourselves for completely missing what's important in all of this.

This is one of those cases where every time you defend him...you put this story back on the front pages.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)

They just will not give up the ghost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
This is one of those cases where every time you defend him...you put this story back on the front pages.

Yup, and every time I (and I'm sure others) get more angry at JoePa and PSU as a whole. It's not helping anything.

What's funny/sad is some of his family had to have known something while the whole thing was going on.

I'm kindof all over the map on this. Jeffry Dahlmer used his locker at work to conceal some of his murders. Should that company be shut down? A couple executives sexually harass employees and rape them, should the entire company be shuttered putting innocent people out of work?

In this case there were five or six people in the organization that should have acted, and didn't. Should all the businesses that rely on PSU football be shuttered? Should all the student workers lose their incomes? I have a hard time agreeing with those that believe the program should have been shut down.

I guess I am also in the minority, next to Sandusky, McQueery, and now those janitors, will always be far more to blame than anyone else. They witnessed first hand a crime being committed and didn't immediately step in to stop it, or call the police. I place JoeP fifth or sixth in the blame game.

Finally, hindsight is always 20/20. It is very easy to say what should have been done years after the fact. Hell, Sandusky should never have been coaching football. Victims should have come forward. His wife should have done something.

But I'm not going to destroy an entire University of thousands and thousands over the actions of a handful. I doubt there were 10 people in all of PSU that would have made such a terrible decision.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
I'm kindof all over the map on this. Jeffry Dahlmer used his locker at work to conceal some of his murders. Should that company be shut down? A couple executives sexually harass employees and rape them, should the entire company be shuttered putting innocent people out of work?

In this case there were five or six people in the organization that should have acted, and didn't. Should all the businesses that rely on PSU football be shuttered? Should all the student workers lose their incomes? I have a hard time agreeing with those that believe the program should have been shut down.

I guess I am also in the minority, next to Sandusky, McQueery, and now those janitors, will always be far more to blame than anyone else. They witnessed first hand a crime being committed and didn't immediately step in to stop it, or call the police. I place JoeP fifth or sixth in the blame game.

Finally, hindsight is always 20/20. It is very easy to say what should have been done years after the fact. Hell, Sandusky should never have been coaching football. Victims should have come forward. His wife should have done something.

But I'm not going to destroy an entire University of thousands and thousands over the actions of a handful. I doubt there were 10 people in all of PSU that would have made such a terrible decision.

If everyone knew about it, sure.

This has nothing to do with hindsight. You don't need hindsight to know child rape is wrong and that s*** needs to be reported right way. These weren't recruiting violations.

The bottom line is they protected this stuff so football could go on. Well, now it's time for football, and that school, to pay for it. I would have been absolutely fine with shutting that down for a while.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
If everyone knew about it, sure.

This has nothing to do with hindsight. You don't need hindsight to know child rape is wrong and that s*** needs to be reported right way. These weren't recruiting violations.

The bottom line is they protected this stuff so football could go on. Well, now it's time for football, and that school, to pay for it. I would have been absolutely fine with shutting that down for a while.

*They* are all gone. The "Theys" that are remaining, and who would suffer the consequences, never had a chance to do the right thing. Never knew any of this was going on. I believe in punishing the guilty.

And this is why I place the greatest blame with McQueery. he should have immediately stepped in to stop the abuse and called police. Not calling his dad the next day.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
*They* are all gone. The "Theys" that are remaining, and who would suffer the consequences, never had a chance to do the right thing. Never knew any of this was going on. I believe in punishing the guilty.

And this is why I place the greatest blame with McQueery. he should have immediately stepped in to stop the abuse and called police. Not calling his dad the next day.

What lesson does that teach people?

If you commit a bunch of illegal acts for the betterment of your program, as long as everyone that was involved, you get rid of/dies, you're good to go.

BTW, the "theys" that remain have the option to leave without penalty. The players, who would suffer the most, have a free out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
What lesson does that teach people?

If you commit a bunch of illegal acts for the betterment of your program, as long as everyone that was involved, you get rid of/dies, you're good to go.

BTW, the "theys" that remain have the option to leave without penalty. The players, who would suffer the most, have a free out.

The lesson it teaches is guilty people are prosecuted and punished, not innocent. And no, the players would not suffer the most. There are a lot of companies, and individuals whose paychecks are directly tied to the program. There are vendors who supply services and equipment. Think of all the people who work directly and indirectly for PSU football. The businesses who benefit on gameday.

Look at the economic impact that having a team means to a community. It is way more than the players.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
The lesson it teaches is guilty people are prosecuted and punished, not innocent. And no, the players would not suffer the most. There are a lot of companies, and individuals whose paychecks are directly tied to the program. There are vendors who supply services and equipment. Think of all the people who work directly and indirectly for PSU football. The businesses who benefit on gameday.

Look at the economic impact that having a team means to a community. It is way more than the players.

And Tex, that's why they didn't get the death penalty.

You're forgetting the other people who stood by here. The entire Penn State community assumed that everything was fine with tht program because it reused Paterno to do the right thing. They failed to do the top level thing in the NCAA book, promoting a culture of compliance. Instead, they created a culture where Paterno was bigger than everything and deliverately ignored NCAA and Federal compliance and oversight requirements in te process.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)

Look at the "moral" impact having a team means to the community. Way more than victims. The team and program was above the victims.

To this day, for a lot of the idiots at PSU, it still is.

I know you haven't been in here a lot, so I'm posting this article again:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/23/ber...ball-continues/

Here's another similar story:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/01/ber...iant-insulting/

Edited by IlliniKrush