Danks and Floyd drawing interest

southsider2k5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
that is also the last time he was in selling mode.

It's also a different landscape now. With teams such as the Rays flourishing despite a miniscule payroll, more and more organizations are treating cheap/controllable talent the way I treat my little Jim Beam bottles. They're priceless these days.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
It's also a different landscape now. With teams such as the Rays flourishing despite a miniscule payroll, more and more organizations are treating cheap/controllable talent the way I treat my little Jim Beam bottles. They're priceless these days.

Look at what the prices look like for free agents so far this year. Price controlled players are going to have a big value this off season to the teams who can't get into bidding wars, but still want to compete next year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
I don't believe it. I agree with Marty here.

As do I. But I would wonder if you could get better value for Santos at the trade deadline. Though it seems teams might be paying a premium for closer/high leverage relief types this offseason, so who knows?

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
Don't need a 36 year-old first baseman, a 31 year-old SS, or a 29 year-old closer if you're rebuilding.

You can't trade Santos just yet, would look pretty terrible to deal a player you signed to an extension before he ever plays a game under said extension.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Don't need a 36 year-old first baseman, a 31 year-old SS, or a 29 year-old closer if you're rebuilding.

But you need guys who are cost controlled for a long time. So if you're dealing that kind of guy you better get great back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
You can't trade Santos just yet, would look pretty terrible to deal a player you signed to an extension before he ever plays a game under said extension.

Santos is a player who should still be around if the team were to do a quick style rebuild. No need to trade him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Holding onto Quentin while rebuilding would be something moderately less than intelligent.

Is he really that bad?

He's not old, he has had some injury history but nothing permanent, and he has a fair amount of power.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Is he really that bad?

He's not old, he has had some injury history but nothing permanent, and he has a fair amount of power.

He's a free agent at the end of next year and there may be no draft pick compensation. Holding onto him would be absolutely nuts if you don't think you have the division this year.

Same for Danks.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
The way you do a quick rebuild is by dealing a player with value. Santos has value.

Except you aren't going to get back anywhere near the value you give up. He is cost controlled and cheap for at least four years. Those are the types of players we want to add, not subtract.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
But he's a closer. That's all he'll ever be. If you can get a high-ceiling A ball type for him (preferably a position player), do it.

Have you paid attention to what a closer costs now? There is zero chance of getting back a player that ends up being as good as Santos, and as cheap.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
He's a free agent at the end of next year and there may be no draft pick compensation. Holding onto him would be absolutely nuts if you don't think you have the division this year.

Same for Danks.

It'd be murder-suicide to hold on to guys with your lone hope for competing in '12 being Dunn, Rios, Beckham and Peavy rebounding (staying healthy in Peavy's case).

Now is not a good time to trade Santos. With Madson, Cordero, F. Rodriguez, Lidge, Bell, Broxton, Nathan and to a lesser extent K. Wood, Frank Franciso, and Rodney all available in free agency. Santos trade value gets hurt because of availability of so many closers on the market. Teams are going to be less willing to give up solid prospects. The only thing that is going for Santos is his contract which would be a steal compared to the deals that is being thrown out in free agency. Papelbon contract was just plain stupid, but that will give you an idea of the money that's going to be thrown away this off season. Giants picking up Affeldt 5 million option, Javier Lopez who throws only against lefties 2yr-8.5 mil.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Have you paid attention to what a closer costs now? There is zero chance of getting back a player that ends up being as good as Santos, and as cheap.

That goes both ways. Yes, the price tag for closers is gross. Making Santos, possibly, a lot more attractive. Look, we're not talking Craig Kimbrel here. Santos is definitely not untouchable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
It'd be murder-suicide to hold on to guys with your lone hope for competing in '12 being Dunn, Rios, Beckham and Peavy rebounding (staying healthy in Peavy's case).

If Kenny is saying the word rebuilding then that murder suicide must happen. If you trade any part other than Quentin and also lose Buehrle, that's the season.

The last time I mentioned rebuilding to Kenny Williams, he scoffed at the idea.

"You know me," the White Sox general manager said. "You know Ozzie. As competitive as we are, do you think we could accept rebuilding?"

That was a few years back.

Ozzie Guillen is gone. The White Sox went through a thoroughly frustrating and disappointing 2011 season.

Times have changed.

And now the White Sox are . . . rebuilding?

It sure sounds that way.

They're readier than ever to say good-bye to free agent starter Mark Buehrle, a mainstay in the Sox rotation since 2001. They're more willing than ever to trade starters John Danks and Gavin Floyd ("If you're going to trade one, you might as well trade both," one rival general manager said). They'd definitely deal Carlos Quentin. They could well be willing to deal Gordon Beckham.

If they do everything they want, Williams said Tuesday, they will definitely be rebuilding. If they do everything they want, Williams promises to even admit that they are rebuilding.

"I'd use [the word]," he said. "If we do this, I'd use it. Check with me in January."

The White Sox won't have a total makeover. It's not possible. No one is taking the Alex Rios contract, or the Adam Dunn contract.

And as for the players he can trade, Williams said he isn't just looking to fill specific needs.

"There are specific players it would take to get [Danks and/or Floyd]," he said. "Reasonable baseball deals. But impactful players. High-ceiling players."

High-ceiling young players, or exactly the kind of players you'd expect a rebuilding team to acquire.

Williams says this doesn't mean he'd be giving up on 2012. Fair enough, because talented young teams can win.

But with the White Sox very possibly rebuilding, and the Twins in a total state of flux, and the Indians and Royals still young, the Tigers may well be the biggest favorite of any team in any division next April.

"They'd be a heavy favorite," one National League general manager said Tuesday.

And the White Sox -- the Kenny Williams White Sox -- would be . . . rebuilding.

http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...590096/33334777

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...to-the-rotation

MILWAUKEE -- White Sox general manager Kenny Williams emphatically confirmed Tuesday what has been expected: Left-hander Chris Sale will be in the starting rotation in 2012.

That means there will be an opening in the starting five. The vacancy is expected to come from the free-agent departure of Mark Buehrle.

But the White Sox are also fielding offers for both John Danks and Gavin Floyd so in the unexpected chance that Buehrle remains, there still figures to be a spot for Sale.

Edited by scenario

With Sale going in as a starter that guarantees the Sox must have 6 starters for the year. Sale has never pitched more more than 120 innings in a season and that took place 2 years ago. This year he pitched 71 innings. At most, Sale should pitch between 120-150 innings for next year. Anything more than that is a guarantee arm/shoulder injury waiting to happen. Oh-I forgot we need 7 starters-we still have Peavy.