KW and SOX fans are to blame for this mess..

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
I may do that a few times this year. I've been so close to the action its very hard for me personally to go back up top unless its Cubs/Sox. This yes I think we will be able to sit wherever you want for many of those games however. I used to do that at Reds games, they were 10 bucks for the top 10 rows and we always moved all the way down.

For years, that's all I ever did at Sox games. Grade school through high school. Those were the days.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Back in the days of the old park, and when Robert Taylor homes were still there, there was very good reason to be scared of it. No way I would have gone there.

But now? Works great, and I feel no less safe than at the Red Line stop.

The green line 35th street stop was the red line 35th street stop through the 90 or 91 season. Then they switched.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Back in the days of the old park, and when Robert Taylor homes were still there, there was very good reason to be scared of it. No way I would have gone there.

But now? Works great, and I feel no less safe than at the Red Line stop.

Way back in the day the green line used to go to Howard. When I lived in Uptown and Edgewater that is usually how I got to the park, day and night games. The platform was more often than not crowded at 35th street and I never even came close to a bad incident getting off the train and walking to the park, or on the return trip after the game. Various vendors usually lined 35th street. When I became legal I often would make a stop at McCuddy's before entering the grand old ball park.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Way back in the day the green line used to go to Howard. When I lived in Uptown and Edgewater that is usually how I got to the park, day and night games. The platform was more often than not crowded at 35th street and I never even came close to a bad incident getting off the train and walking to the park, or on the return trip after the game. Various vendors usually lined 35th street. When I became legal I often would make a stop at McCuddy's before entering the grand old ball park.

Legal? I think I was 10 the first time I was in McCuddy's

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
You did what you should have done individually, but the circumstances you can't control didn't. Nope that is a perfect comparison to me.

A better comparison would be to a manager who seemingly makes the right moves, but the players screw up and they lose consistently. It'd be justifiable to fire him. The results are what matter for a manager/GM. There are no individual stats for management (other than wins and losses).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
Legal? I think I was 10 the first time I was in McCuddy's
My dad and uncle didn't patronize the place. When I started going to games myself I was still too young to drink. Then when I was I tried to make up for lost time. It was a dump, but I loved it.

Haha, no chance. People are still scared of that green line stop. The only people that go on it are going to oak park, i feel like.

Lived in Oak Park from 1999-2004 and took the Green Line to at least a dozen games per year. Never once had a problem. Entertained myself on the way home by playing the very politically incorrect game of guessing what stop people would get off at based on their appearance.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
I'd rather blame Dunn, Peavy and Rios. This firesale never happens if we don't suck in 2011.

Dunn wasn't traded for, he was a FA....but knittpicking asside....I'm absolutely baffled how anyone, with any baseball knowledge, would sign a player to such an exorbitant contract, to be a DH who strikes out 183 times a year on average. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a DH is supposed to be the RBI guy on a team....which means he is supposed to be able to put the bat on the ball, to drive in runs......how does a hitter do that when he Ks 183 times a year on average ? So why does kenny give him such a monster contract ?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
Dunn wasn't traded for, he was a FA....but knittpicking asside....I'm absolutely baffled how anyone, with any baseball knowledge, would sign a player to such an exorbitant contract, to be a DH who strikes out 183 times a year on average. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a DH is supposed to be the RBI guy on a team....which means he is supposed to be able to put the bat on the ball, to drive in runs......how does a hitter do that when he Ks 183 times a year on average ? So why does kenny give him such a monster contract ?

Prior to last year, Adam Dunn had driven in 100 runs every full season of his career except for 2006 when he only drove in 92. So if "Driving in runs" is your concern, Adam Dunn is a guy you spend $15 million a year on, he consistently drives in 100+ runs. Every year. Like Clockwork. Until last year.

Prior to last year, Adam Dunn had driven in 100 runs every full season of his career except for 2006 when he only drove in 92. So if "Driving in runs" is your concern, Adam Dunn is a guy you spend $15 million a year on, he consistently drives in 100+ runs. Every year. Like Clockwork. Until last year.

Prior to last year, Adam Dunn played in the NL and was never a DH. Even prior to last year (now we're going prior-prior), he EXPRESSED reservations about the role the Sox were asking (namely, being a DH and adjusting to the AL)....

So, guy shows multiple times he's not comfortable of the role we're asking him to fill and "like clockwork" he sucks after Kenny gets his man.

Lots of people thought he was a bad move and lots of people were right.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:12 AM)
I wouldn't say LOTS.

Go back to the thread signing posts that week. You won't find many.

Why did Dunn sign the contract in the first place, if he and his agent had these concerns about transitioning to the AL/DH role?

56 million reasons why he signed the contract. There was absolutely no reason to think Dunn would be as bad as he was, but there were plenty of red flags to think he could struggle. One of those certainly was his earlier reluctance to be a DH.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
Prior to last year, Adam Dunn played in the NL and was never a DH. Even prior to last year (now we're going prior-prior), he EXPRESSED reservations about the role the Sox were asking (namely, being a DH and adjusting to the AL)....

So, guy shows multiple times he's not comfortable of the role we're asking him to fill and "like clockwork" he sucks after Kenny gets his man.

Lots of people thought he was a bad move and lots of people were right.

Where were these "lots of" people? I only remember there being a few. A

why are we talking about dunnf***? i thought this was yet another sox fan b****ing that fans dont support the sox?

You don't think Dunn's performance (and now, subsequent inability to contract better talent because we're paying him so much $ to DH) could impact fans decision to support the team?

I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I could see it being conceivable and certainly relevant to the discussion.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
You don't think Dunn's performance (and now, subsequent inability to contract better talent because we're paying him so much $ to DH) could impact fans decision to support the team?

I'm not saying it is or isn't, but I could see it being conceivable and certainly relevant to the discussion.

dumbdunn being on the team is not the fans' fault. the OP says that this "mess" is the combined fault of Kenny and the fanbase.