Sox Post Winter Meetings

Marty34

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I like both.

Not a fan of Scheppers or Loux long history of shoulder and elbow. Surgery waiting to happen. I would pass on both-damage goods.

http://whereisvanslyke.blogspot.com/2008/0...s-shoulder.html

Loux's shoulder injury

the MRI revealed a labrum tear…significantly more serious than “fraying”. Particularly long term.

In addition, Loux had symptoms in his elbow that indicate he could need Tommy John surgery in the near future. This is on top of the fact the Loux already has had elbow surgery to remove bone chips.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-l...mondbacks080310

The D’Backs were not being cheap, there were simply being prudent. They already had a deal in place to sign Loux at well below slot, until the injury issues were revealed.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Not a fan of Scheppers or Loux long history of shoulder and elbow. Surgery waiting to happen. I would pass on both-damage goods.

I was a big fan of Scheppers at one time and wanted the sox to take him a couple years back. A small part of me would still love to see him here for some reason. Loux.. no thanks (great stuff though).

Edited by SoxAce

Excuse me if this has already been discussed, but I'm just wondering about the Brewer's potential interest in Dunn, as a replacement for Fielder.

They could also use Quentin, couldn't they, especially if Braun is going to be suspended for 50 games.

What do the Brewers have that they could send in return?

I would also like to know what it might take to get Kendry Morales from the Angels, now that they have Pujols.

He would be a great replacement for Dunn, wouldn't he?

Please bring me up to date.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
Excuse me if this has already been discussed, but I'm just wondering about the Brewer's potential interest in Dunn, as a replacement for Fielder.

They could also use Quentin, couldn't they, especially if Braun is going to be suspended for 50 games.

What do the Brewers have that they could send in return?

I would also like to know what it might take to get Kendry Morales from the Angels, now that they have Pujols.

They might well be able to use Quentin but they don't have a lot to trade right now.

You could probably get them to take Dunn if the Sox paid >$30 million of what's remaining on his contract, but the Sox would be nuts to do that at this point.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 06:21 AM)

Morales is still recovering from his injury from 2010, he missed all of last season. There are worries that it will be a career-ending injury, so it's not someone you can try & depend on anytime soon.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Morales is still recovering from his injury from 2010, he missed all of last season. There are worries that it will be a career-ending injury, so it's not someone you can try & depend on anytime soon.

That's actually the kind of guy the Sox could try to target, if things got to the point where the Halos were willing to give him away...a guy who might someday recover but who won't get playing time with his current team, but I don't see the Halos being willing to "Give him away" yet.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)

Thanks. I knew that he had been injured, but I wasn't aware that it may be a career ending injury.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Thanks. I knew that he had been injured, but I wasn't aware that it may be a career ending injury.

I still can't figure that one out. It shouldn't be an injury that would end his career. The only thing that I can think of is that there was damage to a nerve, probably the common fibular nerve as it is superficial and vulnerable during fractures. In this case nerves take up to 18 months after the decompression to regenerate. There is no guarantee that it will heal all the way so would be the concern. This nerve is the one that controls the muscles which raise the foot. It would be very difficult to run if you can't lift your foot.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
1.) Sox get solid pitching prospect for Santos

2.) Pujols leaving Cardinals has to invigorate Brewers/Reds/Pirates making Floyd more attractive

3.) Rangers lose starter making Danks more attractive.

4.) Didn't overpay for Buehrle.

1) Correct - they did get a solid prospect for Santos although he probably won't be of any help for the 2012 team. Hopefully, he will be a candidate for the rotation in 2013 asssuming he continues to be a good minor league prospect. In the short-term, the Sox go into spring training in a very similar spot to last season - without knowing who their closer is, although we can probably rule out Matt Thornton (if he is even with the team).

2/3) I think the White Sox may have been caught off-guard on the Danks/Floyd market. For starters, I don't know that they will get back what they think they would have when the off-season began, and, if they can't get back what they were hoping, that could drastically change their plans, considering they still need to trim payroll and may have to decide between taking a lesser deal or finding another way to re-configure the roster, and add a few prospects.

4) I agree that it was a smart move to let Buerhle go. He may end proving me wrong and pitching well for the next 4 years, but A) The White Sox cannot afford another large contract and B) I believe that that last 2 years (maye more) will prove to be bad (or at least mediocre) money.

I can't say that the winter meetings were a success for the White Sox, but the meetings are also just a small portion of the off-season and there's plenty of time for the White Sox to execute their off-season plan, whatever that is.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
2/3) I think the White Sox may have been caught off-guard on the Danks/Floyd market. For starters, I don't know that they will get back what they think they would have when the off-season began, and, if they can't get back what they were hoping, that could drastically change their plans, considering they still need to trim payroll and may have to decide between taking a lesser deal or finding another way to re-configure the roster, and add a few prospects.

I can't say that the winter meetings were a success for the White Sox, but the meetings are also just a small portion of the off-season and there's plenty of time for the White Sox to execute their off-season plan, whatever that is.

Of course, the opposite might also be the case -- despite all of the salivating GM's who did their best to CONVINCE Trader Kenny that he had overestimated the market for Danks/Floyd, THIS TIME Kenny remained patient, stuck to the plan, waited for the free agents to sign and some of the other attractive trade candidates to be moved, and will find himself with some truly valuable trading chips for pitching hungry teams in the weeks before pitchers and catchers are set to report!

Any way you look at it, this was always the likeliest scenario to get max benefit for Danks/Floyd. Sure, they might still be with us because Kenny actually tried hard to move them already, but to no avail. I'm just hoping that this isn't the case and that we're holding firm and waiting for the seller's market to emerge.

Hey, even a cynical Sox fan can hope now and then, right?

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Of course, the opposite might also be the case -- despite all of the salivating GM's who did their best to CONVINCE Trader Kenny that he had overestimated the market for Danks/Floyd, THIS TIME Kenny remained patient, stuck to the plan, waited for the free agents to sign and some of the other attractive trade candidates to be moved, and will find himself with some truly valuable trading chips for pitching hungry teams in the weeks before pitchers and catchers are set to report!

Any way you look at it, this was always the likeliest scenario to get max benefit for Danks/Floyd. Sure, they might still be with us because Kenny actually tried hard to move them already, but to no avail. I'm just hoping that this isn't the case and that we're holding firm and waiting for the seller's market to emerge.

Hey, even a cynical Sox fan can hope now and then, right?

This is exactly how I see it. KW might have made a mistake, but we have absolutely no way of knowing at this point. Even though we're all bored and want news, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to judge any 'non-moves' in the middle of December. We can't judge KW's offseason until the end of the offseason.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

#Nationals also want Gio Gonzalez, view #WhiteSox's Danks as Plan B. After missing out on Buehrle, LH starter remains Nats' priority. #MLB

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

How stupid are the Nats? They covet Buehrle, but then prioritize Gio over Danks????

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 01:11 AM)
How stupid are the Nats? They covet Buehrle, but then prioritize Gio over Danks????

They probably coveted Buehrle because he would cost money, not prospects. Then, once he's off the table and you have to start considering trades, they probably think Gio is the better player. That's not particularly dumb to me.

However, Rizzo can suck it.

They probably coveted Buehrle because he would cost money, not prospects. Then, once he's off the table and you have to start considering trades, they probably think Gio is the better player. That's not particularly dumb to me.

However, Rizzo can suck it.

But that's just it - Gio is clearly not the better player. Billy is also a master at selling inflated value pitchers (because they pitch in Oakland). Is Gio just going into arbitration this year?

Sure would be great if someone like the Yankee's got Gio and then the Reds, Nationals, and Blue Jays can fight over Danks / Floyd.

It's gonna be one exciting off-season folks.

Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Yankees get him and then be looking to dump him by the middle of his 2nd year.

Reds should be all over one of either Danks/Floyd and they have pieces that make a deal fit.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
But that's just it - Gio is clearly not the better player. Billy is also a master at selling inflated value pitchers (because they pitch in Oakland). Is Gio just going into arbitration this year?

2012 Contract Status: 1st Year Arb Eligible (Super 2), 1 yr/$420k (11) (details) [*]

Service Time (01/2012): 2.162, Arb Eligible: 2012, Free Agent: 2016

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Sure would be great if someone like the Yankee's got Gio and then the Reds, Nationals, and Blue Jays can fight over Danks / Floyd.

It's gonna be one exciting off-season folks.

Fingers crossed.

I hope so. Right now, it's so boring.