k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

k0na Doug Seyller

#WhiteSox danks signs a big contract with the sox. repeat. big.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

k0na Doug Seyller

#WhiteSox Danks signs a pretty big contract with the Sox. It's big...

24 seconds ago

^^

This is the dude who broke the Edwin trade.

He also broke the Peavy trade--the first one that Peavy ultimately rejected. I don't know him personally, but with that track record, I'd bank on it.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Mark just got slightly less amount of money. There was no way they will bring him back, he's not 25 anymore.

The only beef I have with org is actually not actually having ANY offer for him.

They didn't offer anything because MB gave them a chance to match the Marlins offer. They decided not to match it. It was not worth offering anything below what the Marlions did. He told them that at the beginning of FA.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
I think that's what people forget. The sox had a talented team. It's just that everybody (save PK) had about the worst season they could. The sox still need a little offensive upgrade but they aren't an awful team.

You can either gut the team (which people you like suspects want) or add to it. We have yet to see which one KW is really doing. But I think he will still trade CQ, Thornton and a starter to add more pieces.

Which they could easily get with

1) Dunn being average as opposed to the worst hitter ever

2) Rios modest improvement

3) Beckham improves

4) Morel improves as he showed in September

5) De Aza > Pierre

6) Whatever Viciedo gives you

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Why make an insultingly low offer when you know there is no way to get close to what he would want just for the sake of doing it?

Eh I guess you're right, not sure whats more insulting, low ball or not present one at all. My opinion tho.

I don't believe that John Danks, 1 year from free agency, and heading towards his prime, would agree to a 5 year deal/54 million deal. He could clear 80-90, hell, even 100 million if he waits one more year.

I mean, Mark Buehrle just got more than that for one fewer year.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Most experts had St.Louis winning their division last year.. I am so tired of the Sox having one good season followed by a few medicore ones.. The Sox needs to rebuild the farm system.

Trading one year of Danks would have done very little toward rebuilding the farm system.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
From the last decade's experience, banking on players to hit their averages on the white sox is an exercise in futility.

We're not talking about averages. We're just talking about not being historically bad.

@StateStSports

Got a call last night from someone who claims that Danks will resign with #WhiteSox for 5 year deal/54 million. #ThisIsARumor

While I 100% believe k0na that a deal is done, I give these figures about a 1% chance of being true.

Mark just got $14.5M per year to pitch from age 33-36. John is getting no less than $15M per year to pitch from age 26-30, even with an extra year on the deal.

My guess would be 5 years and something between $75-80M.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I understand the want to trade Danks for prospects, but if we actually can re-up him for 5/54 I don't know how that's not considered a win. Unless of course we are expected to be rebuild for 6 years and will have no use for him...

Perfectly said. For this price, Danks is a steal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
They didn't offer anything because MB gave them a chance to match the Marlins offer. They decided not to match it. It was not worth offering anything below what the Marlions did. He told them that at the beginning of FA.

I had not heard that last part. Imagine Joe Cowley leaving that part out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
While I 100% believe k0na that a deal is done, I give these figures about a 1% chance of being true.

Mark just got $14.5M per year to pitch from age 33-36. John is getting no less than $15M per year to pitch from age 26-30, even with an extra year on the deal.

Any chance KW realized that he wouldn't get anything for JD on the last year of his contract. Maybe he is planning on signing him then dangling him out there to other teams now that he is under control for 5 years.

The only way I could see this happening is if he really wanted to stay here and wanted a 5 year deal. So the Sox offered more money short term but less money per year over a longer period of time. I still can't imagine JR would have approved a 5 year deal but at this money he might.

QUOTE (yoyozuna @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Any chance KW realized that he wouldn't get anything for JD on the last year of his contract. Maybe he is planning on signing him then dangling him out there to other teams now that he is under control for 5 years.

There could always be the chance that Kenny went to Danks and told him either sign this deal, or I am trading you. Now do you want to stay here or not?

The only way I could see this happening is if he really wanted to stay here and wanted a 5 year deal. So the Sox offered more money short term but less money per year over a longer period of time. I still can't imagine JR would have approved a 5 year deal but at this money he might.

JR has said he would never give a 5 yr deal to a pitcher, I do believe he also said that Mark was a special case, thats why he gave him a 4 yr deal.

Trading guys with 2+ years left on long-term deals is pretty rare. He could demand another trade after a year (a la Javy Vazquez), unless that rule is not in the new CBA.

In other words: CJ Wilson money (5/$77.5M) and I agree 100%. k0na has most definitely earned our respect as a source of information so I don't doubt that the Sox are making a push to re-sign Danks but that number makes zero sense. Wasn't it someone on here who was pushing the StateStSports blog? It seems awful convenient to throw a number out there after k0na reports that an extension is imminent, I just don't get why they would go with such a low number when the smart money would be on CJ Wilson money. I guess the only way it would make sense for JR to give a 5 year deal to a starter if he could get him at his price? Not terrible logic, still doesn't make a ton of sense from Danks' perspective unless 2010 just scared the hell out of him.

I can't see any scenario in which Danks signs for 5 yrs/$54 mil. Maybe it's 4/54- that's a more reasonable $13.5 mil/per- and somehow the 2012 arb. year isn't factored in there?

Edited by Buehrlesque