2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
So yeah, he's probably "Biting the bullet" so that the MVP can stay on the bench.

Yeah, he's shown he can ball in Rose's place, it's just he's got the plethora of injuries hurting his game.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a little premature but.... assuming the lotto balls fall their way and MJ is smart enough to take Anthony Davis, is there anyway that his addition knocks them out of whatever spot they need to have their pick protected??? With how much love I hear this guy getting I think that pick could be pretty valuable after the draft. Boring day, boring topic lol

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I know this is a little premature but.... assuming the lotto balls fall their way and MJ is smart enough to take Anthony Davis, is there anyway that his addition knocks them out of whatever spot they need to have their pick protected??? With how much love I hear this guy getting I think that pick could be pretty valuable after the draft. Boring day, boring topic lol

heard larry brown this morning on mike and mike saying that whatever team gets anthony davis will win 50 games...I think thats a bit much, but if the bobcats get davis, and can even supplement that a little bit - that pick has a great chance at 1.) becoming unprotected (meaning we get a non-lottery pick), or 2.) being something like the 9-12th pick. Lets be honest - its really not THAT hard to crack the playoffs in the east. I kinda think that pick is overvalued by many ....we just have to hope the bobcats somehow continue to get the 3-4th pick, and not the 1 or 2.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
heard larry brown this morning on mike and mike saying that whatever team gets anthony davis will win 50 games...I think thats a bit much, but if the bobcats get davis, and can even supplement that a little bit - that pick has a great chance at 1.) becoming unprotected (meaning we get a non-lottery pick), or 2.) being something like the 9-12th pick. Lets be honest - its really not THAT hard to crack the playoffs in the east. I kinda think that pick is overvalued by many ....we just have to hope the bobcats somehow continue to get the 3-4th pick, and not the 1 or 2.

Yeah, that's completely asanine. Charlotte would win 11.5 games at their current rate in an 82 game season. Anthony Davis is not worth anywhere near 40 wins at this point in his career. Charlotte is likely to blow for at least one more year, maybe the year after they become passable if they get Davis and a solid guard.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
Davis is getting overhyped.

The guy is good, but the Centers in the pros are drastically better than those in college. Hes not Dwight Howard, hes more Joakim Noah.

He's going to be a Marcus Camby/Tyson Chandler/Joakim Noah type player. He's not going to make any team a 50 win team unless they won 35+ the season before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
I was thinking Okafor. Same idea really.

I'm not sure he can be as much of a force on the boards as Okafor used to be, puts it's possible. He's going to get bumped out of position a lot early on.

He's that kind of player now, the hope is that he eventually develops more of an offensive game down the road. The more optimistic projection would be KG (though probably not the assists/passing).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
Man, I think you guys are selling him short...kid has good hands, can shoot it waaaaayyyy better than Okafor did in college...I really do think of him as a Marcus Camby that can shoot...

I agree with you Shack. I think some of you guys are severely underrating this kid.

I don't get the Camby, Chandler, or Okafor comparison at all.

For one, Davis is way more athletic than Camby is/was, he's got better basketball IQ and bigger hands than Chandler, and Okafor is more bulkier and less mobile than Davis. And Davis is more of a 4 than a 5.

Davis has similar build, athleticism, and style of game to a young KG. I am not surprised if he turns out to be a poor man's KG as soon as 3 years down the road.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 12:41 AM)
I don't get the Camby, Chandler, or Okafor comparison at all.

For one, Davis is way more athletic than Camby is/was, he's got better basketball IQ and bigger hands than Chandler, and Okafor is more bulkier and less mobile than Davis. And Davis is more of a 4 than a 5.

Davis has similar build, athleticism, and style of game to a young KG. I am not surprised if he turns out to be a poor man's KG as soon as 3 years down the road.

Camby has been in the league for a long time, I don't think you remember how he was when entering the NBA. Not too mention Davis game is more similar to Camby's than Garnetts as well....

Glen Davis had 31 points today, and we lose to Detroit.

Big rumor going around that it'll be SVG and Otis out, and in a best case scenario, Donnie Walsh and Nate McMillan in to appease Dwight.

Forman is just teasing me so I'll actually tune in on Thursday night.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman said Tuesday night that Derrick Rose went through a full basketball workout and continues to improve in his recovery from his groin injury.

He also said Richard Hamilton suffered no aftereffects after his return from a 14-game absence with a shoulder injury and that management initiated contract extension talks with Tom Thibodeau before the season began before the club and coach mutually agreeing to table them.

Who said the Bulls' sky is falling after suffering back-to-back regular-season losses for the first time in 14 months?

Speaking before a lavish fundraiser for Chicago Bulls Charities at the United Center, Forman called Rose's progress "encouraging" and said the team hasn't ruled out his return for Thursday night's showdown with the Celtics after missing the last 11 games. Barring a setback from Tuesday's workout, Rose will participate in portions of Wednesday's practice.

"The encouraging thing about Derrick is he has never taken a step back," Forman said. "Obviously, the injury was pretty serious. Through the process, he has continued to make progress. (Tuesday) was his first day on the floor going full speed as far as a basketball workout — running, sliding, shooting. He was in a full lather for probably close to an hour. We'll see how he feels (Wednesday). This was the next step. Hopefully, we'll have a resolution pretty soon."

If he doesn't play tomorrow, with 2 more offdays, that's a real good sign for the Sunday showdown against NYC.

Comparing Davis to Noah is severely underrating him?

Davis is not Dwight Howard, maybe hell put on a bunch of weight and get stronger, but right now he just isnt Dwight Howard.

After that, there is a second tier of Centers, and Davis most likely will fall into that group. Anthony Davis has been great, but he doesnt often play against a lot of other talented big men. If you watched the UNC v. UK game (one of the few times Davis was matched up against another potential pro C), he was not really that dominant. In fact, its arguable that John Henson, played better than him (Henson is 6'11, 220, with a long reach, similar to Davis.)

The stat lines were as follows:

Henson, 10 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks 33 minutes

Davis, 7 pts, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks 34 minutes

Davis played Zeller 2x, in both games he was under 10 points

In the NBA, Davis is going to be matching up against Zeller/Henson type players every night. Ive probably seen 10 Kentucky games this year, I just really think hes a lot like Noah, his best attribute is defense and the hope would be that he gets bigger and improves his offense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Comparing Davis to Noah is severely underrating him?

I think they're completely different types of players. One can jump out of the building, while the other is an athletic big man. Davis seems like Tyrus with a work ethic. That could wind up being a pretty interesting player.

Joakim is a legitimate 5 in the NBA, while Davis will probably find a home at the 4.