2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
Fair enough. I hate Manu. I always draft him in fantasy and I always end up regretting it. He's so damn good when he's on the court.

My league has an IR. One of my friends stupidly dropped him. I picked him up and stashed him. I'll make use of his services in two months. I'll have Wade, Manu, Thornton, Paul George, and Matthews as my SGs. Can you say depth?

Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Orlando, and New York are all on the same level as Portland, Denver, LAC, LAL and SAS if you ask me. This has nothing to do with the Bulls. You're crazy if you think the West is more than a hair stronger than the East. Sure the East has the worst teams, but who gives a s*** about the bottom feeders, the East have the two best teams as well.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Orlando, and New York are all on the same level as Portland, Denver, LAC, LAL and SAS if you ask me. This has nothing to do with the Bulls. You're crazy if you think the West is more than a hair stronger than the East. Sure the East has the worst teams, but who gives a s*** about the bottom feeders, the East have the two best teams as well.

LMAO@any of those teams being on the level of the Lakers. And where's Dallas, you know, the defending champion?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
LMAO@any of those teams being on the level of the Lakers. And where's Dallas, you know, the defending champion?

Bynum will be hurt. The Lakers are in the same boat as the Celtics in my eyes. Yes, Kobe is still awesome but he has no help past Gasol if Bynum goes down(which he always does).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
That was not at all what he was saying.

Powers

East: Bulls, Heat

West: Thunder

Second Tier Contenders (Could beat powers)

East: Celtics (built for playoffs)

West: Lakers, Spurs, Trail Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Mavericks

Spurs only if Manu comes back ready to gun.

Third Tier Contenders (Massive upset if they beat power)

East: Magic, Knicks, Pacers, 76ers, Hawks

West: Grizzlies

Can't contend, but can make playoffs/.500 record

East:

West: Jazz, Suns

Bad

East: Nets, Raptors, Cavaliers, Bucks, Pistons, Bobcats, Wizards

West: Timberwolves, Kings, Warriors, Rockets, Hornets

Timberwolves could move up a spot.

I agree that the West is stronger than the East overall ONLY because there are a lot of dwellers in the East. But the logic you presented is very subjective and highly debatable.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Thunder will not beat the Bulls or Heat in a playoff series, the only reason the teams you mentioned, Lakers, Spurs, Trail Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Mavericks could beat the Thunder in the playoffs is because the Thunder isn't the Bulls or Heat. Put the Bulls and Heat as the "power" of the West, do you think, those teams (outside of the Lakers) stand a chance against the Bulls, let alone the Heat in a playoff series? I don't think so.

First of all, how are the Nuggets and Blazers better than the Magic? Both teams are young and unproven, they don't have any superstars, and 1 Allstar combined. For the record, the Magic are off to a great start, and they still have the core players of the team that went to the Finals 3 years ago. Better yet, the Magic just beat the Blazers at Rose Garden. So I don't know how you could say the Nuggets and Blazers are decisively better than the Magic. I would place the Nuggets and Sixers on par because the talent level of both teams are the same, and both teams lack a true superstar or an Allstar.

Then we have the Clippers and the Knicks. How are the Clippers decisively better than the Knicks and Magic? Yes, they have Billups, CP3 and Blake, but VDN is a garbage coach, and they are miserable at running half court offense. It's either lob or die for them. Until they hire a new coach, I think picking them as a favorite or even a second tire team in the West is unacceptable. On the other hand, the Knicks have Melo, Amare, Chandler, and pretty soon they will have Baron Davis back. I think that starting 5 alone will beat a lot of teams out in the West.

Lastly, the Mavs. At this stage of his career, Dirk rebounds more like a small forward than anything, and without a strong interior defender and rebounder in Chandler, this team has a serious flaw. Also, I would like to mention that Kidd and Dirk has regressed tremendously from last season. Last year, they were the Cinderella, but this year, without Chandler and with an older Dirk and Kidd, they don't stand a chance.

I agree with you on the top and bottom tiers teams, but your second tier teams are interpreted loosely and are highly subjective.

I should point out that I think very lowly of the Knicks and the Magic as I believe Howard will check out (tonight's foul-o-rama aside) while the Nuggets and Trail Blazers are built like the Bulls; deep team, just they have no superstar.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
I should point out that I think very lowly of the Knicks and the Magic as I believe Howard will check out (tonight's foul-o-rama aside) while the Nuggets and Trail Blazers are built like the Bulls; deep team, just they have no superstar.

They are both deep teams, but in Portland's case, they have been a deep team for the past 3 or 4 years.

The bulls are a deep team as well, but difference is they are a deep team with elite defense. Defense wins championships.

I think after Horford's injury today, I'd be pretty confident in saying the Magic are the 3rd best team in the East right now.

Could they beat the Bulls or Heat in a playoff series as currently constructed? Probably not, I'm hoping that they look into signing Aaron Brooks as a backup PG in March, and try to trade for an upgrade in the PG/SG/SF spot.

But it will always come out down to how the Magic shoot from the outside. If they get hot and have sufficient ball movement as they did back in the playoff run they had 3 seasons back, I think we can compete with anybody on our day.

The same thing can be said about the 76ers.

If LaMarcus Aldridge is not a superstar, he's damn close. That Blazers team is no joke. Put them in the east and they're at worse the third best team and could give the Bulls or Heat a ton of problems in a playoff series with all their length/athleticism. Denver obviously doesn't have a superstar. They just out-depth you to death. I've gained a lot of respect for George Karl the last few years. He's a really good coach.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Wow what? I don't think he's a superstar. But he's unquestionably a top 15ish player in the league right now. Other than Howard, there isn't a big man in the game I'd rank over him.

I don't know where to begin. But he's a borderline top 20 player, and calling a player who has never made an all star team "damn close to a superstar" is a mistake. I don't know about you, but I would say superstars are should be the top 10 best and most recognized players in the league. Even then, there is a big drop in talent after the top 10-12 players in the league, no doubt about it.

It's funny that 80% of the people at Realgm ranked Dirk as a top 3 player in the league after his performance in the playoffs last season. I know it's a shortened season, and the Mavs are saving him for a playoff run, and he might have lost a step, but he didn't fall behind Aldridge after just 10 games in the season.

I also think that guys like Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, a healthy Andrew Bynum, a healthy Zach Randolph, have something to say about that. And hello Amare? We know what Bosh is capable of as the first option in Toronto. His stats has fallen because he has to play with two actual superstars, but if you put Aldridge on the Heat, he wouldn't perform better than the 20 and 8 Bosh is giving them right now.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
Part of me regrets not watching Orlando/Golden State tonight, until I realize that I would have had to watch Dwight Howard shoot 39 free throws. Jesus christ...

That is a punishment I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
I don't know where to begin. But he's a borderline top 20 player, and calling a player who has never made an all star team "damn close to a superstar" is a mistake. I don't know about you, but I would say superstars are should be the top 10 best and most recognized players in the league. Even then, there is a big drop in talent after the top 10-12 players in the league, no doubt about it.

It's funny that 80% of the people at Realgm ranked Dirk as a top 3 player in the league after his performance in the playoffs last season. I know it's a shortened season, and the Mavs are saving him for a playoff run, and he might have lost a step, but he didn't fall behind Aldridge after just 10 games in the season.

I also think that guys like Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, a healthy Andrew Bynum, a healthy Zach Randolph, have something to say about that. And hello Amare? We know what Bosh is capable of as the first option in Toronto. His stats has fallen because he has to play with two actual superstars, but if you put Aldridge on the Heat, he wouldn't perform better than the 20 and 8 Bosh is giving them right now.

Aldridge should've been an all-star last year and should be a shoe-in to make it this year. He's elevated his game considerably the last couple years. Yes, they're only a handful of "superstars" in the league. Then you've got the next tier. I think Aldridge is in that tier. And the dude just turned 26. He could get better. As far as big men go, yeah, I should've been more clear. A "big" man today is not the same as 15 years ago. Dirk is an outlier. He's one of the most unique talents to ever play the game. I don't think of him as a "big" man. I was thinking more along the lines of 6'10 and up guys.

And I don't look at Kevin Durant as a "big" either. Just in case you wanted to throw him out there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 01:16 AM)
I think after Horford's injury today, I'd be pretty confident in saying the Magic are the 3rd best team in the East right now.

Could they beat the Bulls or Heat in a playoff series as currently constructed? Probably not

You mean "absof*ckinlutleynoway".