2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Yeah, let's totally ignore Rose' stat line from the Lakers game like it never happened...

lol. That wasn't his intention at all. But if you're going to take one game that Rose is efficient and be like "AHA!!!, see, he's efficient." Then be prepared for a response after last night's suckfest. Rose's efficiency is something even the most homeristic Bulls fan would like to see him improve upon. One game, good or bad, isn't going to tell much of anything. Need at least a good half season to see if he's improved in that area.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
lol. That wasn't his intention at all. But if you're going to take one game that Rose is efficient and be like "AHA!!!, see, he's efficient." Then be prepared for a response after last night's suckfest. Rose's efficiency is something even the most homeristic Bulls fan would like to see him improve upon. One game, good or bad, isn't going to tell much of anything. Need at least a good half season to see if he's improved in that area.

Judging anyone from this season is going to be a mess.

yeah, it does kind of suck though b/c i'm realizing that watching basketball every night is much less exciting when they will be tired as hell. Right now the defenses are crap or offenses unprepared, and soon during the 7 games in 11 days stretches the teams will look lethargic.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
yeah, it does kind of suck though b/c i'm realizing that watching basketball every night is much less exciting when they will be tired as hell. Right now the defenses are crap or offenses unprepared, and soon during the 7 games in 11 days stretches the teams will look lethargic.

While I am not disagreeing with you, this is ridiculous. There is no reason they should be tired as hell. They play basketball for a LIVING and should have no problem playing 7 games in 11 days. These are all men between the ages of 19-40, getting paid handsomely to perform on the basketball court.

I'm incredibly shocked at the lack of conditioning by some professional athletes. If there is anything most of these guys should be able to do, it's run run run run run for a few hours every night of the week. Being tired from playing 7 games in 11 days is pathetic.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
While I am not disagreeing with you, this is ridiculous. There is no reason they should be tired as hell. They play basketball for a LIVING and should have no problem playing 7 games in 11 days. These are all men between the ages of 19-40, getting paid handsomely to perform on the basketball court.

I'm incredibly shocked at the lack of conditioning by some professional athletes. If there is anything most of these guys should be able to do, it's run run run run run for a few hours every night of the week. Being tired from playing 7 games in 11 days is pathetic.

It is all in how you are conditioned. If they aren't conditioned for three in three, they aren't going to be ready for it. The lockout is going to be the killer as a good chunk of these guys aren't even going to be in condition for back to backs, let alone something like 7 in 11.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
It is all in how you are conditioned. If they aren't conditioned for three in three, they aren't going to be ready for it. The lockout is going to be the killer as a good chunk of these guys aren't even going to be in condition for back to backs, let alone something like 7 in 11.

I guess what I'm saying is there is no excuse for not being conditioned for a game almost every day, as far as I'm concerned.

I know a big chunk of practice time is devoted to working on individual plays, as well as particular skills, but conditioning is a huge part of their games, and quite frankly, they should be better conditioned as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
I guess what I'm saying is there is no excuse for not being conditioned for a game almost every day, as far as I'm concerned.

I know a big chunk of practice time is devoted to working on individual plays, as well as particular skills, but conditioning is a huge part of their games, and quite frankly, they should be better conditioned as far as I'm concerned.

Days like that the benches are going to be huge, because you aren't going to want to run your stars out there for 120+ minutes over three days.

Yeah, no. You can be the most conditioned athlete in the world and that doesn't mean your body won't even wear down. These players are going full speed into seven foot 290lb monsters. It doesn't matter how many wind sprints you do for that. Your body needs rest.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Yeah, no. You can be the most conditioned athlete in the world and that doesn't mean your body won't even wear down. These players are going full speed into seven foot 290lb monsters. It doesn't matter how many wind sprints you do for that. Your body needs rest.

Yeah, yes.

They do get rest. If you're saying their worst stretch is 7 games in 11 days, that is 4 days of rest. Most weeks they'll play no more than 3-4 games, meaning they'll get as many days of rest as they play.

Most professional athletes are not incredibly conditioned like you would think. Sports are specialized now, and athletes are conditioned to perform those specialized tasks. The human body is capable of doing a hell of a lot more, in regards to conditioning, than most professional athletes in the major US sports leagues are able to do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Jesus. Not arguing about this. You are right, bodies are built to be indestructible to wear.

Right, that is what I said...

These idiots are eating McDonald's and skittles and a bunch of other bulls*** and they aren't optimally conditioned...that's why they get worn down and are lethargic.

I'm not saying their bodies don't wear down or don't get tired or injured. I'm saying that the schedule isn't something that should result in that on it's own...it just does because they aren't anywhere near optimally conditioned, which, considering the money they make, IMO, they should be.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Blah. They don't live in a recovery bubble between games. They travel the country (often late at night), living out of a suitcase, and sleeping in foreign beds. The games aren't the only thing that's draining.

I agree. They are also young and rich and sometimes stupid. I get that.

I'm just saying, if I was getting paid $12 million in the real world, I'll bet there would be some pretty stringent f***ing requirements about how I do my job.

I'm not going to feel bad for these guys because they have to play 7 games in 11 days. There is no excuse for lethargy to enter the equation, other than that they are not optimally conditioned.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm not going to feel bad for these guys because they have to play 7 games in 11 days.

No one asked you to; however, playing 3 games in 3 nights inherently means the quality of the game goes down. One day off, where you can get a full practice in and work on the kinks of the game simply makes you better, regardless if conditioning comes into the equation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
No one asked you to; however, playing 3 games in 3 nights inherently means the quality of the game goes down. One day off, where you can get a full practice in and work on the kinks of the game simply makes you better, regardless if conditioning comes into the equation.

I agree...I can understand the quality of play going down due to sore muscles and nagging injuries, etc. Just not lethargy or "tired legs." Not a valid excuse.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
I agree...I can understand the quality of play going down due to sore muscles and nagging injuries, etc. Just not lethargy or "tired legs." Not a valid excuse.

Man, basketball is some grueling s***, especially for the starters. 3 nights in a row in the NBA would be exhausting to a marathoner's legs. The human body was not mean to start and stop and turn and jump and collide on a hard surface, let alone so many nights in a row.

Basketball is easily the most exhausting of the 4 major sports. Hell, football there's a total of 11 minutes of action in a 3 hour game. Hockey players play on 45 second shifts and can glide with no effort at times. Fat people can play baseball.

Give these athletes some credit. They are in amazing shape. However, "tired legs" on night 3 of back-to-back-to-backs in the NBA is going to be a given.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Man, basketball is some grueling s***, especially for the starters. 3 nights in a row in the NBA would be exhausting to a marathoner's legs. The human body was not mean to start and stop and turn and jump and collide on a hard surface, let alone so many nights in a row.

Basketball is easily the most exhausting of the 4 major sports. Hell, football there's a total of 11 minutes of action in a 3 hour game. Hockey players play on 45 second shifts and can glide with no effort at times. Fat people can play baseball.

Give these athletes some credit. They are in amazing shape. However, "tired legs" on night 3 of back-to-back-to-backs in the NBA is going to be a given.

Blah blah blah...give the human body some credit...it's capable of a lot of s*** if you train it properly and take care of it properly.

Again, I'm not claiming these guys won't have muscle aches, be sore, have nagging injuries, etc...but they are not optimally conditioned, nor do many of them eat well or take particularly good care of themselves. Many of them look as though they are in amazing shape because they play basketball for a living.

But from a strict conditioning perspective...cry me a river...there are all kinds of people that are far better conditioned than most NBA basketball players.

“You’re going to have other endorsements because you’re playing in a big-ass city like Chicago, and because you’re [bleeping] Dwight Howard,” McGrady said.

And a Howard-Rose combination?

“Hell yes, championship,” McGrady said. “Championship. There’s no doubt about it

Link