2012 Films Thread

knightni

I will never forgive George Lucas for taking my favorite badass villain as a child and showing me that in reality he was a whiny little b**** when he was a normal person.

Empire strikes back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
I will never forgive George Lucas for taking my favorite badass villain as a child and showing me that in reality he was a whiny little b**** when he was a normal person.

Empire strikes back

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Exactly the same, whoo!

EMPIRE is clearly the best of the franchise. As much as I love them all, I could watch EMPIRE every day and never get tired of it. Irvin Kershner is a much better director than Lucas, and Lawrence Kasdan is a much better writer.

EMPIRE also had the Gary Kurtz influence, which I think is what's sorely lacking from the prequels. Kurtz was Lucas' conscience. He was the guy who had the balls to tell Lucas when he was making bad choices. Take that away, and even the most creative person in the world will lose his edge.

I'm far from a Star Wars fans and just find it funny how Star Wars nerds b**** and moan about Lucas and how he ruins the movies, blah blah blah, but as soon as they are re-released in the theatre, look who is chucking down their cash.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
EMPIRE also had the Gary Kurtz influence, which I think is what's sorely lacking from the prequels. Kurtz was Lucas' conscience. He was the guy who had the balls to tell Lucas when he was making bad choices. Take that away, and even the most creative person in the world will lose his edge.

That's the difference between the first three and the prequels. Nobody had the power to oppose George's terrible ideas on the Phantom Menace.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
I'm far from a Star Wars fans and just find it funny how Star Wars nerds b**** and moan about Lucas and how he ruins the movies, blah blah blah, but as soon as they are re-released in the theatre, look who is chucking down their cash.

f*** that. I haven't spent a dime on his movies since I saw revenge of the sith when it came out. George lucas has gotten enough of my money, and him rereleasing all of them in the theatres and in movie sets every time a format changes really pisses me off.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)

I will never donate another penny to that f***.

Empire

Star Wars

Revenge

[big drop off]

Jedi

Attack

[big drop off]

Phantom Menace

I never got the love for "Jedi". I was disappointed upon first viewing in 1983. Even for Sci-Fi/fantasy, I found Luke and Leia's siblinghood and Vader's return to niceness implausible and the Ewok-muppets geared way too much towards the kiddies. The beginning is awesome, but imo it goes downhill fast.

Edit: the forest speeder chase in Jedi is cool, too.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Empire

New Hope

Return

Revenge

Clone

Phantom

Thats how I see them. And its hard to compare because of nostalgia. As a kid I just loved Star Wars.

I actually phind Phantom Menace to be more watchable than Clone Wars. The "emotional" crap in #2 is just that awful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
I actually phind Phantom Menace to be more watchable than Clone Wars. The "emotional" crap in #2 is just that awful.

I am fairly sure George Lucas and Tommy Wiseau have the same love-scene writing coach.

Attack of the Clones was pretty boring and the gladiator scene was nonsense. There was a brilliant-looking scene in the rain, but beyond that the movie sucked. Love Star Wars, though! It provides endless quotes.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace (sure, Jar-Jar sucks, but I still think Darth Maul and podracing makes it pretty wicked)

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Lameness

Phantom Menace 3D review

While the marketing has focused on the 3D presentation, it’s hard to recommend moviegoers pay the upgraded price simply to experience the series in an added dimension because in most cases the image is flat. Even in sequences that viewers might expect would really benefit from the added depth (such as the Gungan/droid army battle) – and, even the ones that do work, aren’t likely to make it worth sitting through the film’s less successful moments (Otoh Gunga, for example). Obviously results will vary from theater to theater but, while Episode I 3D post-conversion itself doesn’t present a lot of ghosted images, the effect doesn’t really enhance more than a couple of the film’s larger action scenes (basically podracing and the “Duel of the Fates”).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
Attack of the Clones was pretty boring and the gladiator scene was nonsense. There was a brilliant-looking scene in the rain, but beyond that the movie sucked. Love Star Wars, though! It provides endless quotes.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace (sure, Jar-Jar sucks, but I still think Darth Maul and podracing makes it pretty wicked)

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Lameness

Quick overview of what happened?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Man, that was 13 years ago but it feels like yesterday. Kind of sad.

I was in college working at Suncoast Video. We couldn't keep those Phantom Menace posters in stock. Started selling the life size cutouts as well. Darth Maul was the most popular which is odd since he didn't last in the series long.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
I was in college working at Suncoast Video. We couldn't keep those Phantom Menace posters in stock. Started selling the life size cutouts as well. Darth Maul was the most popular which is odd since he didn't last in the series long.

He really was a badass though, its a shame he couldn't of made more than 1 movie.

Yeah, I dont know how Lucas could axe Maul after about 5 total scenes and keep that POS Jar Jar Binks in all 3 movies. As soon as I saw the preview where Maul holds his double sided saber out and lights it up, that was the one and only reason I really wanted to see that movie.

His character was sort of revived in the Clone Wars cartoon. I didnt see it, but they hyped it like crazy on the cartoon network

TAKE SHELTER with Michael Shannon, very well-acted and performed....definitely deserves all the kudos he's getting recently, and Jessica Chastain is seemingly in every single movie this year

The Limey, not Soderbergh's best, but very simple and solidly-executed revenge picture with T. Stamp and Fonda grinning his way through it all...recognized Nicky Katt, an actor on one of my favorite shows in the past, Boston Public

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
TAKE SHELTER with Michael Shannon, very well-acted and performed....definitely deserves all the kudos he's getting recently, and Jessica Chastain is seemingly in every single movie this year

The Limey, not Soderbergh's best, but very simple and solidly-executed revenge picture with T. Stamp and Fonda grinning his way through it all...recognized Nicky Katt, an actor on one of my favorite shows in the past, Boston Public

Gonna Redbox TAKE SHELTER on Tuesday when it is released.