Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings about it. It would be the 4th pro system Cutler has been in for his career. Just as he's finally starting to make progress in this one. Hopefully if they do get another OC, it'll be someone off the Shanahan tree (BESIDES KYLE) that runs the West Coast offense so it wouldn't be starting all over again.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
Mixed feelings about it. It would be the 4th pro system Cutler has been in for his career. Just as he's finally starting to make progress in this one. Hopefully if they do get another OC, it'll be someone off the Shanahan tree (BESIDES KYLE) that runs the West Coast offense so it wouldn't be starting all over again.

This is pretty much how I feel. Martz is way too dumb way too often, but I really don't want to give Cutler ANOTHER offense to learn.

I actually like Martz. I think our offense has taken major strides this year, and I'd like to continue to see some of the guys work at it.

Yes, he outsmarts himself at times, and he is slow to adjust when Jay is getting creamed, but he has been awfully good this year IMO, outside of the Saints game.

As for the Forte love...HE CANNOT RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES...teams know this and are defending the edges better. He is a great runner when he has a dominant run-blocking OLine, and he is an outstanding pass receiver, but running Matt Forte 25 times a game, with Chris Williams out for the year, is not going to do much of anything other than average about 2 yards a carry. Hasn't this been obvious the past 3 games? We need to throw more screens to Forte and use Barber as our between the tackles runner, and mix it up just enough so that they can't identify the play based on the personnel in the huddle.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
I actually like Martz. I think our offense has taken major strides this year, and I'd like to continue to see some of the guys work at it.

Yes, he outsmarts himself at times, and he is slow to adjust when Jay is getting creamed, but he has been awfully good this year IMO, outside of the Saints game.

As for the Forte love...HE CANNOT RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES...teams know this and are defending the edges better. He is a great runner when he has a dominant run-blocking OLine, and he is an outstanding pass receiver, but running Matt Forte 25 times a game, with Chris Williams out for the year, is not going to do much of anything other than average about 2 yards a carry. Hasn't this been obvious the past 3 games? We need to throw more screens to Forte and use Barber as our between the tackles runner, and mix it up just enough so that they can't identify the play based on the personnel in the huddle.

Didn't both forte and barber average over 5 ypc sunday?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
Didn't both forte and barber average over 5 ypc sunday?

Yep, but Forte's statistics were very deceiving. He busted the one long run and that brought up his average. Usually that's not a huge issue, as you are willing to wait for the long run, but with Forte, he takes a ton of runs for losses as well as a lot of 1 and 2 yard gains. When you have a backup qb playing, and the defense is keying on your run game, that doesn't put you in manageable 3rd down situations. With Cutler, you can still make a lot of those 3rd down and 7's or 8's. With Hanie, it is much more difficult.

The newly engaged injured Bears QB speaks:

For the first time since the world learned that Jay Cutler had fractured his thumb against the San Diego Chargers on Nov. 20, the Chicago Bears quarterback answered questions for the media Wednesday.

Among Cutler's revelations during a news conference at Halas Hall:

*Cutler had three screws and two pins inserted in his bone. Cutler said the pins need to come out sometime between three and 10 weeks. That apparently could involve more surgery before he takes the field again.

“It’s a matter if they are not hindering me throwing the ball, if I’m comfortable with them, if they aren’t pinching,” Cutler said. “There are a lot of factors.”

Cutler said he expects to lose some flexibility in his thumb.

*Cutler did not suffer ligament damage, and already has begun rehab.

Cutler said he is trying to get the movement back in the thumb and get the swelling to go down. He is not yet sure when he can begin throwing.

*In addition to fracturing the thumb, Cutler hyperextended it and dislocated it.

Cutler said he suffered the injury when he contacted a Chargers defender during an interception return. The thumb was not put back in the socket until his surgery three days later. Cutler also said the defender grabbed his facemask on the play, but it was not called.

*Cutler did not initially realize he was injured.

“I was (ticked) at Johnny (Knox) about the pick,” he said. “Coming to the sideline, I didn’t really know. I was more worried about talking to him, um, in a calm manner. After I settled down and went back out on the field I knew something was definitely wrong. I didn’t imagine I would have to have surgery.”

Cutler said during a timeout he told trainers there was something wrong with his thumb. He said he was uncomfortable and probably could not have played a whole game with the injury, but he was able to fight through it because not much time was left.

*Cutler is finding it difficult to sit out.

“This is horrible,” he said. “I don’t like this. I don’t like coming to meetings. I don’t like watching practice. I don’t like any of this. It’s not what I signed up for, it’s not anything I’ve been a part of. It’s definitely hard on me. The sooner I can get back out there, the better.”

*Cutler realizes may be out for the season, but he’s not resigned to not playing again this year.

"We’ll have to see week by week and take some X-rays and CT scans and see if the bone is healing like it should be,” he said. “I don’t want to put a number on it because I don’t know.”

He said he has to balance his desire to play now with his interest in his long-term health.

“I have to be smart about it,” he said. “Obviously, I’d want to play next week if they’d allow me. I don’t think that’s going to be in the cards. It could be I’m done for the season. I just have to be smart about it and realize there is a long-term future here. At the same point, I want to be out there and my teammates want me to be out there.”

Cutler also talked about Caleb Hanie’s debut as a starter.

“It’s hard to come in as a backup,” he said. “Expectations were high for him. He’s been in the system but still he hasn’t experienced a lot of these plays in a game situation. I can only tell him so much. He’s got to go out there and learn for himself, which is the hard part. We have to be really careful with what kind of situations we put him in. Mike [Martz] has to be careful with that. We don’t really know what Caleb is comfortable with. Caleb doesn’t know what he’s comfortable with because he hasn’t run a lot of these plays … in a high-pressure situation.

“I think he’s going to get better and better. That second half was night and day from the first half. I think things were moving pretty quickly for him that first half and once he kind of settled down he started to play pretty well.”

Cutler also was asked if he has set a wedding date with Kristin Cavallari. He said he has not.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Cutler was having a pretty damn good season until he got hurt, I wouldnt want to reset him with another OC.

I agree. I'm okay bringing back Martz, you just have to make sure Tice is involved in the play-calling as well.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
From Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Vikings are set to release QB Donovan McNabb on Thursday.

Bears?

Sportscenter is certainly theorizing that is the case. Im not too interested. Plus, you would think the Cowboys would block again

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
Sportscenter is certainly theorizing that is the case. Im not too interested. Plus, you would think the Cowboys would block again

Is it an outright release, or waived. there's a difference.

And no, I dont want him. He's bad. Not that McCown is any better, but no point in brining in another bad backup.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Is it an outright release, or waived. there's a difference.

And no, I dont want him. He's bad. Not that McCown is any better, but no point in brining in another bad backup.

i believe all players have to pass through waivers after the trade deadline, and pretty much every comment from the talking heads on twitter mention that the Cowboys can block the Bears

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
i believe all players have to pass through waivers after the trade deadline, and pretty much every comment from the talking heads on twitter mention that the Cowboys can block the Bears

Just a question, can they still block the Bears now, they are the division leader while the Bears are a second place team. I would think now the Bears come before them, but I'm just speculating. Last week they could because the Bears were one game ahead of them.'m not so sure this week.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Just a question, can they still block the Bears now, they are the division leader while the Bears are a second place team. I would think now the Bears come before them, but I'm just speculating. Last week they could because the Bears were one game ahead of them.'m not so sure this week.

I believe division standing has nothing to do with it, only overall record matters. They have the same record, but the Bears have a tougher strength of schedule, which makes them the "better" team, therefore the Cowboys can pick before the Bears.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)

Schefter stated bears are 24th in priority and Cowboys are 21st based on SOS