Peavy ready for bounce back season

southsider2k5

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peavy update: Williams said he expects Jake Peavy to pitch more than 200 innings.

"You haven't seen the best of him," Williams said of Peavy, who says he's fully recovered from major surgery near his right shoulder 19 months ago.

"It's nice having a winter preparing the way you always have," Peavy said.

Peavy also expressed his appreciation for Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's statement that essentially stopped a war of words between him and former manager Ozzie Guillen, now with the Marlins.

"We wish Ozzie the best," Peavy said. "I had a blast at times playing for Ozzie. I think everyone here wants the best for Ozzie, and I hope he wants the best for us."

Trib

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)

It will be interesting to watch how he goes through spring training. It will go a long way in telling us how the strength came back in the lat. It usually takes a full year to regain the strength after any significant shoulder surgery.

I don't know how the team will do, but I get the overwhelming vibe that everybody in that clubhouse is happy to have a new manager.

Did anybody see AJ on TV saying he is 100% done talking about Ozzie? That and all the other stuff seems to hint that this change was indeed sorely needed.

Whether that will produce a winning team remains to be seen; it definitely seems to be a happier team though.

As for Jake, what do you want him to say? To gripe? To say nothing? Of course he'll be judged on how he pitches, but if players are going to talk pre-season, I'd rather hear the optimism instead of... God forbid... more talk about last year's dismal season.

Link

Ask Jake Peavy whether he is 100 percent healthy for this season and this is the answer you get:

"I'm as 100 percent as I can be. I don't know if I'm 100 percent as to what I was four years ago. I know I'm as 100 percent as 100 percent is going to get after what I had done (surgically). I guess that's the best way to say it."

"I would be terribly disappointed," Peavy said of not making his expected 33 starts. "It's something I want to do and I've done before. I just haven't been healthy since I got traded over here."

His last two full seasons in San Diego produced a 29-17 record, 2.68 ERA and a Cy Young Award (in 2007).

His first two-plus seasons in Chicago have produced a 17-13 record, 4.49 ERA and a trip to the operating table.

"I know fans and everybody have been frustrated, but there's nobody more frustrated than me," he said. "When you play a certain caliber and level and you haven't been able to get back there, it's tough. This year, I have left no leaf unturned and I'm ready to see what I have."

What he has probably won't be what he used to have, but he doesn't plan to re-invent himself, like some veteran pitchers, as a soft-tosser who gets by on guile.

"I don't want to do that," he said at SoxFest. "What I want to do is what I did in the past, or come close to that. That's who I am, and I know I can be successful doing that. At times last year, I did that ... felt as good as I ever had on the mound."

The consistency just wasn't there, which might be expected only a year-plus past experimental surgery on his latissimus dorsi muscle. And inconsistency might result in a spot in the bullpen — and soon if he can't cut it as a starter.

"That's something we'll address, but hopefully down the road," he said. "I want to be a starter, I want to throw 200 innings, I want to make 30 starts. Anything less would be disappointing."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
It's fluff piece time of year.

Stop being frustrated by the fluff pieces and enjoy the fact that spring training is almost here!

Balta s right. This is what we will see for awhile still-fluff and feel good and optimism for the upcoming season. It's all good though. Hope Jake does good cause I don't see him back in 2013.

Edited by elrockinMT

Should be interesting season having Peavy ready to go from the get-go.

It baffles me the Sox would have Mr. Moneybags on the team and let Buehrle go. Peavy's finally ready, now we have no Buehrle to fulfill the long-coveted 1-2 all-star punch.

Sale better be good or this team is in a world of hurt starting pitching wise.

If Peavy is Verlander this year and Sale is lights out to go with above average Danks and Floyd, we could have a chance at a top five starting rotation in the AL.

With veterans Konerko, Dunn, AJ, Lexi and Rios we have some guys who might be extra motivated to go with the younger position players.

One thing is for sure. This team is NOT REBUILDING just because Tank and DeAza and Morel and Beckham will be playing. That does not constitute rebuilding with all the veterans we have.

WE NEED PEAVY.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
It baffles me the Sox would have Mr. Moneybags on the team and let Buehrle go.

Do you understand the basics of baseball economics? One player was no longer under contract. The other is still under contract and a very expensive one at that...with a history of injuries. How exactly did you think that would play out?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Should be interesting season having Peavy ready to go from the get-go.

It baffles me the Sox would have Mr. Moneybags on the team and let Buehrle go. Peavy's finally ready, now we have no Buehrle to fulfill the long-coveted 1-2 all-star punch.

Sale better be good or this team is in a world of hurt starting pitching wise.

If Peavy is Verlander this year and Sale is lights out to go with above average Danks and Floyd, we could have a chance at a top five starting rotation in the AL.

With veterans Konerko, Dunn, AJ, Lexi and Rios we have some guys who might be extra motivated to go with the younger position players.

One thing is for sure. This team is NOT REBUILDING just because Tank and DeAza and Morel and Beckham will be playing. That does not constitute rebuilding with all the veterans we have.

WE NEED PEAVY.

It has been explained to you 600 times. If it still baffles you, then you're purposely being obtuse.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 04:17 AM)
It has been explained to you 600 times. If it still baffles you, then you're purposely being obtuse.

You have to keep the both of them no matter the cost. If you are not in it to win, why be in it?

We now have a healthy Peavy, but no Mark to go with him?

That just plain sucks.

Peavy says hes ready for a bounce back season, the dude couldnt pitch past 4 innings at any point in the year b/c his arm falls off at 75 pitches. His career is about 1-2 years away from being over, his arm is shot, his stamina is a huge issue, his velocity is down about 3-4 MPH since acquiring him, and at 75 pitches his velocity tanks, his slider flattens and his BAA goes up from .250 (pre 75 pitches) to .410!! But its all good b/c hes ready for a bounce back year. #WhatAJoke

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
You have to keep the both of them no matter the cost. If you are not in it to win, why be in it?

We now have a healthy Peavy, but no Mark to go with him?

That just plain sucks.

Jesus f***ing christ. You are f***ing ridiculous, you must be smarter than this, I can only hope for your sake.

The Sox TRADED for Peavy, and assumed the current contract he is on, meaning he is making that money NO MATTER WHAT. MB was a free agent, he CHOSE to sign with the highest bidder, aka the Marlins, and it's been leaked that no one else was even CLOSE to the years/money that the Marlins offered.

Recap if that was to confusing:

Peavy is here under contract for 1 more year (and will not be traded because he has little value).

MB is in Florida because they made him Mr. Moneybags (btw you are even worse that Joecoolman for nicknames).

Does that

make sense

to you?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Jesus f***ing christ. You are f***ing ridiculous, you must be smarter than this, I can only hope for your sake.

The Sox TRADED for Peavy, and assumed the current contract he is on, meaning he is making that money NO MATTER WHAT. MB was a free agent, he CHOSE to sign with the highest bidder, aka the Marlins, and it's been leaked that no one else was even CLOSE to the years/money that the Marlins offered.

Peavy is here under contract for 1 more year (and will not be traded because he has little value).

MB is in Florida because they made him Mr. Moneybags (btw you are even worse that Joecoolman for nicknames).

Does that

make sense

to you?

YUP! And I think it should also be noted that if MLB was like NFL, where contracts aren't guaranteed, Peavy would definately but cut. And also if the MLB was like the NBA and could amnesty someone, aka release them from the roster but pay them, the Sox would do that with Peavy too. He is a valueless $17M starting pitcher coming off a 4.92 ERA season who has no durability as a starter....FAIL!

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
"Why didn't they sign Mark and trade Peavy for Pujols?"

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 05:36 AM)

Does that

make sense

to you?

I think you guys overvalue money that is not yours.

I realize Mark was a free agent. He's a free agent that should have been signed IMO.

Poor, poor Jerry. Can't sign a White Sox legend like Mark Buehrle who would have been the 1-2 punch with Peavy the team needs on the mound in trying to beat out Detroit for the division title. He also would have continued to be a nice tutor of Sale.

I'm glad an internet message board doesn't frustrate me to the point I'd ever print what you did. You said "]Jesus f***ing christ. You are f***ing ridiculous, you must be smarter than this, I can only hope for your sake." WTF? You need anger management?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)

I realize Mark was a free agent. He's a free agent that should have been signed IMO.

Poor, poor Jerry. Can't sign a White Sox legend like Mark Buehrle who would have been the 1-2 punch with Peavy the team needs on the mound in trying to beat out Detroit for the division title. He also would have continued to be a nice tutor of Sale.

I'm glad an internet message board doesn't frustrate me to the point I'd ever print what you did. You said "]Jesus f***ing christ. You are f***ing ridiculous, you must be smarter than this, I can only hope for your sake." WTF? You need anger management?

Just because I don't care about Jerry Reinsdorf's money doesn't mean I don't understand why he does what he does. Talking to you is honestly like talking to a child.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 06:23 AM)
Just because I don't care about Jerry Reinsdorf's money doesn't mean I don't understand why he does what he does. Talking to you is honestly like talking to a child.

I am not the only Sox fan outraged that Mark is gone.

You guys sometimes fail to realize some people actually do agree with me on some of these issues.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)

You guys sometimes fail to realize some people actually do agree with me on some of these issues.

You sometimes fail to realize that those people are thinking 99% with their emotions and have never run a business before.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)

I think in this case you are ignoring reality. The budget is the budget.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
I think in this case you are ignoring reality. The budget is the budget.

The other thing he's ignoring is what would happen if the team consistently listened to him and went well over budget.

In that case, that winds up in bankruptcy unless the team has an owner able to put an independent fortune up and absorb large losses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
The other thing he's ignoring is what would happen if the team consistently listened to him and went well over budget.

In that case, that winds up in bankruptcy unless the team has an owner able to put an independent fortune up and absorb large losses.

Or exactly what just happened. No room for error, and Mark Buehrle unable to be resigned.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)

I don't think anyone is happy that Mark is gone, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many people other than youself that would say the Sox should have outbid the Marlins for him. They overpaid for him, and his contract is so ridiculously backloaded that he'll be difficult to trade without the Marlins eating a lot of money.

Peavy may be great this year, but chances are he will not be the guy he used to be. I'll be happy with him eating a bunch of innings and spotting an ERA around 4. However, I think that'll be a stretch. So, a dream of a "1-2 punch" was dissolved when Peavy had surgery that in all likelihood diminished his capacity as a pitcher.

There was no reason for the Sox to spend $56+ million on a guy in order to have him be part of a "1-2 punch" that doesn't exist anyway.