Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Because I think he's about as good as Braxton Miller and I dont consider either one of them the best player in college football. Its my opinion, you dont need to try and change it.

The problem is that it's not exactly an opinion based in facts, to this point. The fact is that with his numbers and what his team has done, he's either leading the voting, or is right in the very top of the pecking order.

Hell even Miller is up there.

Would love to know what your list looks like.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
BCS Championship Game odds:

This article: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...isman-race-more includes ESPN stat geek Chris Fallica's odds that each of the top 4 teams finishes the season undefeated. ND has the best odds of running the table, but also needs others to lose in order to finish in the top two. Using those odds, I calculated title game odds based on the following assumptions:

(1) At no point will a team with a loss be ranked higher than any of the four that remain undefeated

(2) In the final BCS standings, an undefeated Alabama would be ranked higher than an undefeated Oregon, who would be ranked higher than an undefeated Kansas State, who would be ranked higher than an undefeated Notre Dame. I know that Oregon is #4 right now but their rating in the computer component will go up due to their remaining schedule.

(A) Alabama and Oregon both go undefeated (whether or not KSU/ND do is irrelevant) 10.8%

(B) Alabama and Kansas State both go undefeated and Oregon does not (ND irrelevant) 19.9%

© Alabama and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Oregon and Kansas State do not. 16.4%

(D) Oregon and Kansas State both go undefeated and Alabama does not (ND irrelevant) 3.5%

(E) Oregon and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Alabama and Kansas State do not 2.9%

(F) Kansas State and Notre Dame both go undefeated and Alabama and Oregon do not 9.3%

(G) Alabama goes undefeated but the others do not 10.0%

(H) Oregon goes undefeated but the others do not 1.7%

(I) Kansas State goes undefeated but the others do not 5.7%

(J) Notre Dame goes undefeated but the others do not 12.3%

(K) None of the four go undefeated 7.5%

Total odds of making the title game as an undefeated team:

Alabama 57.1%

Oregon 18.9%

Kansas State 38.4%

Notre Dame 40.9%

Of course, in scenarios (G-K) there are one-loss teams in the title game and Alabama and maybe Oregon get in some of those cases also, but those are harder to put odds on since they involve the outcomes of the other one-loss teams as well. I will be interested to see if these numbers get updated each week. I would think Alabama's odds would improve the most this week with a win.

What happens to Notre Dame's strength of schedule if Oregon beats USC twice? Conversely, what about Oregon's is they beat USC twice but so does ND? That would leave USC with 5 losses, right? What if Michigan loses to Ohio or god forbid to Northwestern or Iowa too? Does that weaken ND's schedule component to change the numbers? I wonder if USC being a common opponent could hurt ND and the Ducks and help K-State?

Edited by Rex Hudler

What happens to Notre Dame's strength of schedule if Oregon beats USC twice? Conversely, what about Oregon's is they beat USC twice but so does ND? That would leave USC with 5 losses, right? What if Michigan loses to Ohio or god forbid to Northwestern or Iowa too? Does that weaken ND's schedule component to change the numbers? I wonder if USC being a common opponent could hurt ND and the Ducks and help K-State?

No matter how badly Notre Dame's opponents fare the rest of the season, they aren't going to finish behind a team with a loss if they're undefeated. They are the odd team out if the season ends with three or more undefeated teams though.

We shall look to devalue a win over Oklahoma for everyone this weekend.

As much as I want to see K State make it, I wouldn't totally mind seeing the Big 12 get f***ed because they don't have a title game so that we will reconsider expanding to 12.

I also don't see how anyone couldn't have Collin Klein as the Heisman favorite right now.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
The problem is that it's not exactly an opinion based in facts, to this point. The fact is that with his numbers and what his team has done, he's either leading the voting, or is right in the very top of the pecking order.

Hell even Miller is up there.

Would love to know what your list looks like.

Miller for me is a favorite next year. This year its way too early. He does have 2500 total yards and 24 td's already which is unreal.

I also dont like to put out lists or favorites until about 10 games are in the books and frankly I think its weak this year overall. I DO like Barner, Lee, Smith, Klein (production wise) and Manziel (eventually will be a legit candidate). I think Lee is probably one of the most NFL ready playmakers in all of CFB. The domers wont like this but having Te'O on the list is a joke. His production is not heisman-worthy at all. DeAnthony Thomas should be up there but for some reason Kelly never gives him the ball.

If USC wasnt a choke-artist I think Lee would be even higher. He's dynamic. Smith's team's shortcomings and a bad game is hurting him, but you cant ignore his production. For me he's head and shoulders the best QB in the country.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
We shall look to devalue a win over Oklahoma for everyone this weekend.

As much as I want to see K State make it, I wouldn't totally mind seeing the Big 12 get f***ed because they don't have a title game so that we will reconsider expanding to 12.

I also don't see how anyone couldn't have Collin Klein as the Heisman favorite right now.

The big 12 has gotten f***ed even when they DO have a title game. No reason Kstate should not be in the title game if they win out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)

The line of this game opened up at like tOSU -24.5 (when I checked Sunday night). It's at 27.5 now and the buckeyes still look like the easy play. I'm trying to think of a spread where I would take the Illini and I honestly can't think of one (in the realm of possibilities of course).

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
The big 12 has gotten f***ed even when they DO have a title game. No reason Kstate should not be in the title game if they win out.

What the hell are you talking about? The Big 12 has never gotten f***ed when it comes to getting a team in the title game. I'm not sure you can point to a single season where the Big 12 didn't get a team into the title game that deserved it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Second oldest trophy in the conference.

I am still putting cash on the Illini, there is no way OSU covers, zero.

Teams that the Illini have lost by more than 27.5 points to this year: La Tech, Michigan, Arizona State, and Penn State. The Illini might cover because Vegas is ridiculous, but I can't find a reason why to bet on the Illini. This will probably be the worst team tOSU plays this year.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Teams that the Illini have lost by more than 27.5 points to this year: La Tech, Michigan, Arizona State, and Penn State. The Illini might cover because Vegas is ridiculous, but I can't find a reason why to bet on the Illini. This will probably be the worst team tOSU plays this year.

No, UAB is the worst, and ILL plays OSU tough especially in Columbus. 7 of the last 11 there. I'm telling you it will be close.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
My prediction: IU will win today against Iowa, just to get my hopes up, and then get absolutely destroyed by Wisconsin next week.

It's pretty awesome that Indiana controls their own Rose Bowl destiny at 1-3 in the conference, 3-5 overall.

No offense, but James Franklin is just about the worst SEC QB I've seen this year, and that is saying a lot. Nonchalant, no zip on anything, can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Mizz coulda won that game with even a serviceable QB.

I keep hearing people on other sites say ND plays a cupcake schedule, and they are way overrated because they play all these easy teams.

But then I found this link....

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-footba...chedule-by-team

^Is that completely inaccurate? It says ND has played the 6th hardest schedule in the nation. I'm not a big NCAAFB guy, I don't follow too many teams outside of ND, so are these rankings completely off?

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
No offense, but James Franklin is just about the worst SEC QB I've seen this year, and that is saying a lot. Nonchalant, no zip on anything, can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Mizz coulda won that game with even a serviceable QB.

On the final interception, Franklin had #85 wide open inside the 10 and he probably gets into the endzone if it was thrown his way.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
I keep hearing people on other sites say ND plays a cupcake schedule, and they are way overrated because they play all these easy teams.

^Is that completely inaccurate? It says ND has played the 6th hardest schedule in the nation. I'm not a big NCAAFB guy, I don't follow too many teams outside of ND, so are these rankings completely off?

That is the exact opposite that I've heard all year.

All people have said was how difficult the ND schedule was coming into this season. Sure now that the season is playing itself the schedule doesnt appear to be as difficult as advertised but that doesnt mean it was a cake walk.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)

I think it really depends on how you look at it. At the beginning of the year it looked like a very difficult schedule, but Michigan and Michigan state were highly overrated, and did not deserve their high rankings.

That being said, Stanford and Oklahoma were impressive wins over very good teams. Outside of those 2 teams though, I wouldn't say it was a difficult schedule.

Date Opponent Result Location W/L Conf

09/01 Navy W 50-10 Neutral 1-0 1-0

09/08 Purdue W 20-17 Home 2-0 1-0

09/15 Michigan St W 20-3 Away 3-0 1-0

09/22 Michigan W 13-6 Home 4-0 1-0

10/06 Miami (FL) W 41-3 Neutral 5-0 1-0

10/13 Stanford W 20-13 Home 6-0 1-0

10/20 BYU W 17-14 Home 7-0 2-0

10/27 Oklahoma W 30-13 Away 8-0 2-0

None of those teams scare anyone outside of the 2 I mentioned, before.

And now that I look at that, they barely scraped out some wins against some poor teams (7 to Michigan, 3 to BYU, 3 to PU). But a win's a win I suppose.

I'm honestly having a tough time figuring out if we have a single player on the offense other than maybe the RBs that would start for another Big 10 team. Scheelhaase is the worst QB in the conference, the WRs except for Millines are MAC level receivers and Millines can't stay healthy and the offensive line is horrendous. Young and Ferguson would see the field for other teams but neither is a difference maker.