2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
I liked the Jags D, seemed like they got bogged down from a horrible offense. However, for being on the field that much they were not good at getting takeaways. They had 24 FF+INTs, the bears had 50. I loved that edge we had, and I'd hate to see it go away.

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Mel-Tu...cf-aa28e61f09a7

Tucker coached for four seasons with the Cleveland Browns (2005-08), serving as defensive backs coach for three seasons before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2008. Under Tucker’s guidance the Browns ranked fifth in the NFL from 2005-08 with 73 interceptions and allowed the fourth-fewest completions of 25-plus yards (78).

The 2008 Browns defense ranked 14th in NFL pass defense (204.6) and tied for third with 23 interceptions. The defense finished with 31 takeaways, tied for the third-most in the NFL. Tucker was responsible for the development of two young safeties in 2007 in Sean Jones and Brodney Pool, and two rookie cornerbacks who made an immediate impact. 2007 second-round pick Eric Wright tied for sixth in the NFL in 2008 with five interceptions while Jones had four interceptions.

In 2006 the Browns secondary was depleted by injuries, yet ranked 15th in the NFL in pass defense. The unit lost starters Daylon McCutcheon in training camp and Gary Baxter in week seven, and Leigh Bodden missed seven games. Jones and Daven Holly tied for the team lead with five interceptions apiece. In his first season with the Browns, Tucker’s secondary unit ranked fourth in the NFL in pass defense.

The part that is exciting is that Tucker's defense has generally been very good against the pass and getting interceptions. You add that with the Bears ability to create fumbles, you could have something really good.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/type/t...i/chicago-bears

The Bears had 24 picks this year, which is about what Tucker's defenses averaged in Cleveland. Its the 29 forced fumbles that really are a huge difference.

I am willing to hope that the Jaguars lack of ints, turnovers was partially because the Jags suck so bad that no one takes risks.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
I very much hope so. And it's also likely they were usually behind due to their s***ty offense, and were not seeing too many passes.

I agree, I think when you play the Jags you know their offense sucks so bad, that as long as you dont have a -4 turnover margin you are likely to win.

And Tucker has been a guy who has been talked about for HC jobs, so if Trestman and Co are huge failures, at least you got a guy like Tucker to step in.

Bears hired Mel Tucker as defensive coordinator.

The Chicago Tribune reported Friday evening that the Bears would interview Raheem Morris for the position on Saturday, but that meeting apparently won't happen. Tucker will have a big role with the Bears, as defensive boss under offensive-minded head coach Marc Trestman. He'll also oversee the strength of the Bears' roster. Tucker runs a 4-3, Cover-2 style defense, easing the transition from Lovie Smith. Tucker spent the past four years running the Jaguars defense but wasn't expected to return following the hiring of Gus Bradley.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

TMZ ‏@TMZ

Michael Crabtree -- San Francisco 49ers Star Questioned in Sexual Assault http://tmz.me/13PBXpv

Officer Gordon Shyy told NFL.com that Crabtree was interviewed earlier this week. The victim did not contact police until a few days after the alleged assault, after which police interviewed Crabtree with his lawyer present.

This isn't very good news..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/f...ld-be-a-/nT2Z5/

Free agency update: A source said the Dolphins have been in contact with representatives for all of their core free agents – including LT Jake Long, RB Reggie Bush, WR Brian Hartline, CB Sean Smith, TE Anthony Fasano and DT Randy Starks — but that no deals are imminent.

If Long leaves as a free agent, he has to be priority No.1 for the Bears right? I know he regressed a little this year, but he is 27 years old and a legit above-average, if not, top 5 left tackle. I would pay top dollar for him because of the dire need we have there. Not only would we have a legit LT, but also you could live with a lesser LG because of it. Figure Lance Louis comes back as one of the guards. And you draft one in the top two rounds. Then pray that Webb can be a decent RT. Regardless, I think an impact FA like Long would go a long way toward turning this team around.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
If Long leaves as a free agent, he has to be priority No.1 for the Bears right? I know he regressed a little this year, but he is 27 years old and a legit above-average, if not, top 5 left tackle. I would pay top dollar for him because of the dire need we have there. Not only would we have a legit LT, but also you could live with a lesser LG because of it. Figure Lance Louis comes back as one of the guards. And you draft one in the top two rounds. Then pray that Webb can be a decent RT. Regardless, I think an impact FA like Long would go a long way toward turning this team around.

My worry continues to be the cap space...in this sense.

Long is, IMO, likely to get close to $10 million a year. Maybe more, just off of how much people will pay for O-line help.

If that's the case, the Bears will not have the room to sign both him and Melton (along with the cap holds).

So, are you willing to let Melton walk in order to sign long? Create a D-line weakness to shore up the O-Line?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)

Long is, IMO, likely to get close to $10 million a year. Maybe more, just off of how much people will pay for O-line help.

If that's the case, the Bears will not have the room to sign both him and Melton (along with the cap holds).

So, are you willing to let Melton walk in order to sign long? Create a D-line weakness to shore up the O-Line?

I think you have to at this point. Hopefully the Bears can get Peppers to re-work his deal to free up some cap space to keep Melton in addition to allowing the Bears some free agent wiggle room. But let's say it is one or the other, I think Long is the bigger need. Paea and Collins both proved to be good DTs, not great, but at least the D-line would still be solid. The O-line needs fixing in the worst way.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)

Don't forget Scott at RT, although he is a UFA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)

I think you have to as well. The Bears are going to have to start winning games with offense sooner rather than later, and the only way to do that is to fix this O-line. In my experience, you really just don't pick up a good left tackle picking in the 20's most years, which basically leaves free agency as the only option.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)

I'd give Carimi one more shot at RT, supposedly he was hurt last year.

Long would certainly be nice, I'm liking the idea of Bushrod though. He'll come cheaper and with the Saints OL coach coming over he'll be in the same blocking scheme where he's succeeded in the past. If my earlier cap numbers were anywhere close to being right I think you should be able to get both Melton and Bushrod.

If it was Clady Id be all for it but I almost think we would be better served using that cap on some lesser name OL a TE and some depth. If we get Long I wouldnt hate it but Melton is only 26 and is very important for the future of our defense. Hes one of the few players who is very valuable now and should continue to be post Peppers, Briggs, Tillman etc. Dont get me wrong, we NEED to upgrade the OL in as many spots as possible. Im thinking the absolute minimum should be 2 new OL, but Long will probably be overpaid for his production and he would really limit what else we could do.

For this to be a successful offseason, Emery has to resign Melton and at least sign one starting OL (preferably a LT). I think it's way too early to say we can't afford both Long and Melton. There are still ways to clear additional cap space.

Speaking of the OL, we should be able to snag a guard in the 1st or 2nd round that can start next year. If you can indeed sign a LT like Long in free agency, then I'd be ok with Carimi and Webb competing at RT. I'd also try to resign Louis if it looks like he'll be close to 100% healthy next year. We'd be looking at the following offensive line.

Long-Rookie-Garza-Louis-Carimi/Webb

Webb/Carimi, Williams, & Brown would be the reserves.

It's not the best offensive line, but I think it would be good enough and the left side would be significantly better.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
I dont really want Webb anywhere near the starting OL

I gotta feeling he's going to be there next year.

Emery's own numbers that he presented in his post-lovie-firing press conference, seemed to support this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I gotta feeling he's going to be there next year.

Emery's own numbers that he presented in his post-lovie-firing press conference, seemed to support this.

According to PFF, the source Emery quotes frequently, had Webb as our best overall OL

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
I dont really want Webb anywhere near the starting OL

The problem is you can only do so much in a given offseason and I think it would be foolish to give up on Carimi this quickly. However, he needs to win a job next year and I think Webb would be respectable competition. If Carimi can win the job at RT, then Webb can be the swing tackle. That would be the ideal situation, but we just don't know what we have in Carimi at this point.