2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Kyle,

Its a ton of speculation, I have no inside information. With Angelo I would think Lovie had more say. I am more focused on this year and Emery, because this year is the year Lovie was fired and its been theorized that had Lovie done better, he may not have been fired.

That is why I am only referring to this years draft and the oddity of the picks.

The one thing we do know is that when Emery was hired he was explicitly told he could not fire Lovie for 1 season.

The real point is, you dont hire a GM and tell them who their head coach is going to be. The Jets are about to find out why this is a bad idea as well. If you are hiring a GM to be the man, he needs to be able to make all decisions from day one. Otherwise you get this nonsense, where 2 years are potentially lost. Especially if the Bears defensive system dramatically changes.

A lot of that had to do with timing too. Emery was hired pretty late in the game to be turning around and hiring a brand new staff, a full month after every other head coach in the NFL was fired and all of those teams got a jump on the hiring process. It makes no sense for Emery to fire lovie in February and go bargain bin hunting for a coach and staff at that point.

It is what it is, the GM hiring was hamfisted. Lets not act surprised.

One thing I have hope for is this is NOT Angelo making the decision, and this is NOT Ted Phillips/McCaskeys making the decision. So I cant say "Oh this is the Bears FO screwing it up again", because this is someone new. We have to give Emery a chance to do his job that he was hired to do.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angelo was fired on January 3, 2012 so not sure how that was late in the game, when the last day of the season was January 1, 2012. They hired Emery on January 29.

Its just the Bears have a terrible front office that doesnt know what its doing. Which is why a coaching change makes me nervous.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Angelo was fired on January 3, 2012 so not sure how that was late in the game, when the last day of the season was January 1, 2012. They hired Emery on January 29.

Its just the Bears have a terrible front office that doesnt know what its doing. Which is why a coaching change makes me nervous.

That is the "late in the game" part, badger. That is a full month after last years "black monday". Every other team that had axed their own coach had 4 weeks of a coaching search and hiring well under way, that is a terrible time to start hunting for your own coach. Angelos fire date is irrelevant.

This year he is ahead of the curve, he has his pick of available candidates(that wish to interview with him.)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
That is the "late in the game" part, badger. That is a full month after last years "black monday". Every other team that had axed their own coach had 4 weeks of a coaching search and hiring well under way, that is a terrible time to start hunting for your own coach. Angelos fire date is irrelevant.

This year he is ahead of the curve, he has his pick of available candidates(that wish to interview with him.)

I think you are missing the point. Angelo was fired January 3. It took the Bears almost 4 weeks to hire another GM. Those are Emery's bosses. They dont seem to care, so I really am not sure why they are going to change their stripes this year.

Do you think the Bears will be the first team to hire a HC? Or do you think that they will be one of the last?

My guess is the latter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I think you are missing the point. Angelo was fired January 3. It took the Bears almost 4 weeks to hire another GM. Those are Emery's bosses. They dont seem to care, so I really am not sure why they are going to change their stripes this year.

Do you think the Bears will be the first team to hire a HC? Or do you think that they will be one of the last?

My guess is the latter.

Im not missing the point, The bosses arent the ones making the hire this time. I will go out on a limb and say the Bears are one of the first to make a HC hire.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Im not missing the point, The bosses arent the ones making the hire this time. I will go out on a limb and say the Bears are one of the first to make a HC hire.

I would not be suprised that Emery made the decision at least several weeks ago to let Lovie go and has a pretty good idea right now who he wants to bring in.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
I would not be suprised that Emery made the decision at least several weeks ago to let Lovie go and has a pretty good idea right now who he wants to bring in.

I think he made the decision that Smith would be gone unless there was a deep playoff run.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)

I think if anything the Seattle game threw the last scoop of dirt on him. Anythign short of running the table would not have been good enough.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)

Id say doubtful. The Bears are not going to offer top dollar, so unless they are going bargain bin from the start I would expect the high profile/paying jobs to get filled first. And then the Bears to get whoever is left.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Hester is killing the little stock value he had left. Not only is he bad with no confidence but now he has desire to play the game issues.

Hester is an idiot but I'm not surprised. Lovie is so well respected by his players and really is the epitome of a head coach from the perspective of the fact that he gets his guys ready to play and is a good leader. Problem is he failed to hire good assistants too many times and as a result, you had OC's that didn't want to come and other issues (such as Babich as the DC).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
If the Bears had beaten the Colts in the SB, I wonder if the fans would have had a different feeling toward Lovie. He has pretty much been hated for a good portion of his tenure.

He was hated as soon as he wasn't screaming on the sidelines by most Bear fans. I never got it...for years Bears fans have been mad. Hell most of the morons think he's a s***ty defensive coach and yap about how the tampa 2 is a dead D. Its amazing how dumb some of the fans are.

I support the move but the potential for a huge backfire is there. I think Lovie, with the right talent, could have won a superbowl and I wouldn't be surprised if one day he did. That said, he has no one to blame but himself here. He had a golden opportunity and the org was pretty patient with him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Pioli is the shocker to me. This guy has been pretty bad for a while. It must be nice to write off you constant mistakes on others.

Pioli's failure worries me about Emery. The Patriot way has been a collosal bust anywhere that Belliceck isn't. That said, Emery has a lot of other influences as well.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
Nick Roach hasn't looked bad at MLB. It'll be interesting to see what the new coach does with Shea. Could they go Briggs-Roach-Shea? Is Emery gonna bring a guy who runs the 3-4 he's used to? It's going to be an interesting offseason.

Emery isn't just a 3-4 guy. He spent a lot of time with other organizations that ran 4-3's, including quite a bit of time with the Bears.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
The Lovie firing and the Ozzie firing have lots of similarities. Even if Lovie had won the SB, it would be time to move on, just as the Sox needed to move on from Ozzie.

Disagree completely. Players had quit on Ozzie...could never ever make that case for Lovie. You will get a lot of lockeroom backfire from his move so it is important that they bring in a strong, well respected guy to take the reigns. That is another part of the reason why I want an experienced coach. You hire Reid or Holmgren and it is much easier for the Bears players to understand the decision. And say what you want about the players, this roster with some minor tweaks, can win a superbowl. And by minor, I mean the freaking oline.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
I've heard people say that, but I like the fact that he's adapted his offenses to fit the personnel. Quite frankly, it's amazing what he was able to do with Tebow (who's awful) as his QB and field an offense that was at least capable of making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Then, they get a pure pocket passer like Peyton and they go much more balanced (even a little pass-heavy). While Peyton is clearly a reason for Denver's offensive turnaround this year, it's not like he's the one calling the plays. That's on McCoy.

Its hard though...Peyton could make me calling plays look good. And to be clear, I'd only call plays out of the madden playbook, haha.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Agreed all the way. I fail to see what Emery has shown in KC that even warranted him getting a look at by the Bears. But he got hired. His picks, outside of Jeffery, did nothing to help a Lovie Smith coached team. His recent comments about not planning his entire offseason addressing the offensive line because continuity is more important than upgrading talent(paraphrasing) is alarming. In a game situation, Lovie has only really screwed the Bears maybe twice in 9 seasons.

The Bears are in a holding pattern, because whoever they hire will need to install a new defense and a new offense. Jay will have to get acclimated to his 100th offense in oh so many seasons, by the time they would be semi-ready to compete, guys like Peanut, Briggs, definitely Urlacher will all be gone and your best case scenario is that you are where the Bears are today, a 10-6 team, but maybe 2 years younger.

I don't think Emery has the full say in who they hire. McCaskey is still involved in this equation too and is more active then the previous McCaskey's. That said, the names I've seen thrown around look alright (at least early on). Muschamp would be very interesting. I also think they'll give Ferentz a call. Not saying that would be a good hire, although I do think he's a good field general and while Iowa has sucked miserably the past couple years, he has an NFL type make-up. Again, I don't know that I'd like the hire but it woudln't surprise me to see them look at him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
Will Muschamp is apparently a "Phil Emery guy"

Really good defensive credentials, which I'm okay with, as long as the defensive coach has ties to some creative offensive minds. I wonder if any of the current assistants stick around. I also wonder if Toub is interviewed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Muschamp would be pretty pricey. Probably talking about 4mil right off the bat. He already makes around $3mil in Florida.

Saban and Kelly you have to think would also come with pretty big pricetags. Mind you, Im not interested in either of them, but they both have been mentioned

In a way he said it feels like he let Smith down.

“Absolutely,” Cutler said. “I take a lot of pride in the way I play and offensively we didn’t show up in the last four years for him and a lot of hat blame’s going to be on me. As soon as I heard he was fired there was instant regret in what we could have done and what we should have done.”

Pretty classy statement their by Cutler. Plus I like the fact that he takes responsibility. He seems to be doing that more as of late which makes me think he might be getting things a little more.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Its hard though...Peyton could make me calling plays look good. And to be clear, I'd only call plays out of the madden playbook, haha.

It's more than that though. He showed tremendous adaptability going from Orton to tebow to manning. The in season tebow switch they did a 180 to be a run first option team on a dime. Then he brings a QB that had been at another team all his life and helps organize everyone on the same page in about 5 games. That's impressive.