2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Never blame the head coach for a team not finding the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 years, thats just silly

I know you have Lovies back, nite, but you cannot absolve him from all fault. And when it comes down to it, his teams have not performed up to expectations in the past 6 years. blame everyone else all you want, but the ax always comes down on the guy in charge.

He went 10-6 this year. How many more wins should the Bears had this year given all the problems on the offensive side and all the injuries all over the team? Last year, your star QB went down when the team was riding high. Their backup QBs couldn't do much because they had no offensive line to protect them, just like Campbell this year. The one constant has been the lack of addressing the offensive line. No matter what type of league you play in, no matter how the game changes, you still win the battle on the offensive and defensive lines, period. Cutler has almost been killed

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I have a feeling this is only the beginning in terms of changes. At minimum, I bet we don't see Urlacher or Hester back.

Nick Roach hasn't looked bad at MLB. It'll be interesting to see what the new coach does with Shea. Could they go Briggs-Roach-Shea? Is Emery gonna bring a guy who runs the 3-4 he's used to? It's going to be an interesting offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
If the Bears had beaten the Colts in the SB, I wonder if the fans would have had a different feeling toward Lovie. He has pretty much been hated for a good portion of his tenure.

The Lovie firing and the Ozzie firing have lots of similarities. Even if Lovie had won the SB, it would be time to move on, just as the Sox needed to move on from Ozzie.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't necessarily agree. He built a pretty talented roster. The QB spot is what's holding that team back. Granted, he's the guy who spent big money on Cassell, but if he can get that fixed, then I think the Chiefs could be pretty good. They had 5 guys make the Pro Bowl this year. The talent is there. The coaching and the QB was not.

It's funny how the best coaches & GMs seem to always have a good QB on their roster.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
They are as close as 50% of the NFL, need a good qb.

The Chiefs problem is that they keep picking crappy ones and this year should be pretty horrific for finding a QB.

They picked a bad year to be the worst team in football. The Colts are the best franchise in choosing which season to suck it up.

I can understand people wanting a change, but with a year left on Lovie's contract, it is more reason to believe the Bears will go cheap with the replacement. If the Bears owed Lovie nothing, I think there is a better chance they would spend money getting the right coach.

I also think any guy named Lovie who goes on to become an NFL coach, despite his public demeanor, must be a pretty tough guy.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
He went 10-6 this year. How many more wins should the Bears had this year given all the problems on the offensive side and all the injuries all over the team? Last year, your star QB went down when the team was riding high. Their backup QBs couldn't do much because they had no offensive line to protect them, just like Campbell this year. The one constant has been the lack of addressing the offensive line. No matter what type of league you play in, no matter how the game changes, you still win the battle on the offensive and defensive lines, period. Cutler has almost been killed

And this is why I cant understand Emery as getting a complete pass. In what world did the Bears need a DE tweener in the first round?

Drafting an OL in the 1st could have made a significant difference. Outside of Jeffrey his draft was just brutal.

I am not a huge Lovie fan, but outside of the Seattle fg, I also cant recall a time where I really felt he screwed the team. Most of this year was on the players.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
They are as close as 50% of the NFL, need a good qb.

The Chiefs problem is that they keep picking crappy ones and this year should be pretty horrific for finding a QB.

How about the Falcons? Emery seems to have had a hand setting them up pretty nicely

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
And this is why I cant understand Emery as getting a complete pass. In what world did the Bears need a DE tweener in the first round?

Drafting an OL in the 1st could have made a significant difference. Outside of Jeffrey his draft was just brutal.

You cant judge a draft in the first year.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
I don't know, it seems like Peyton Manning is the OC turning around Denver. McCoy is along for the ride.

I've heard people say that, but I like the fact that he's adapted his offenses to fit the personnel. Quite frankly, it's amazing what he was able to do with Tebow (who's awful) as his QB and field an offense that was at least capable of making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Then, they get a pure pocket passer like Peyton and they go much more balanced (even a little pass-heavy). While Peyton is clearly a reason for Denver's offensive turnaround this year, it's not like he's the one calling the plays. That's on McCoy.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

I don't have strong feelings either way on Lovie and have no idea exactly what he was responsible for other than that in professional sports, "if you don't win you're gone".

I do wonder though, how much of Cutlers brain is left intact after the last few seasons. His ability to hit a target seemed to get worse and worse this year. Anyone think that all of the concussions have affected him to the point that he isn't a very good quarterback anymore? Maybe, if he could, Emery would be wise to try and trade Cutler and really start over.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)

I am not a huge Lovie fan, but outside of the Seattle fg, I also cant recall a time where I really felt he screwed the team. Most of this year was on the players.

Agreed all the way. I fail to see what Emery has shown in KC that even warranted him getting a look at by the Bears. But he got hired. His picks, outside of Jeffery, did nothing to help a Lovie Smith coached team. His recent comments about not planning his entire offseason addressing the offensive line because continuity is more important than upgrading talent(paraphrasing) is alarming. In a game situation, Lovie has only really screwed the Bears maybe twice in 9 seasons.

The Bears are in a holding pattern, because whoever they hire will need to install a new defense and a new offense. Jay will have to get acclimated to his 100th offense in oh so many seasons, by the time they would be semi-ready to compete, guys like Peanut, Briggs, definitely Urlacher will all be gone and your best case scenario is that you are where the Bears are today, a 10-6 team, but maybe 2 years younger.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
You cant judge a draft in the first year.

especially a draft that was scouted by the angelo scouts and system. people said when he was hired, that Emery had very little to do with last years draft, and its this year that will be Emerys first true draft

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Based on the 2012 draft why do you feel comfortable with Emery putting together a good team?

Or is it based on how great KC is, the team he was director of scouting for?

Because with the Bears all he did was draft Jeffrey, the rest of the picks so far are pretty brutal.

We will never know whether Lovie could have handled player personnel, what we do know is that the Bears are now being run by a guy who put together the talent for KC, and I am not holding my breathe that they will make the playoffs anytime soon.

The answer simply is yes. Lovie has been with this team for 9 years. Emery has been there with one. KC actually has quite a bit of talent especially on the defensive side, as did Atlanta. He was also a scout on the bears prior to 2004, and which were the bears best drafts.

But instead you want to give the most important position on a football team to a guy who has never scouted or has any idea how to deal with contracts and budgeting. Great idea.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
How about the Falcons? Emery seems to have had a hand setting them up pretty nicely

Emery's last draft with the Falcons was Matt Ryan. He was instrumental in picking Roddy White, but I think most people give credit to Dimitroff.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez

#Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong set for head coaching interviews with Kansas City & Chicago, a source tells @FOXSports.com

that will satisfy the rooney rule if nothing else for the bears

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
I don't have strong feelings either way on Lovie and have no idea exactly what he was responsible for other than that in professional sports, "if you don't win you're gone".

I do wonder though, how much of Cutlers brain is left intact after the last few seasons. His ability to hit a target seemed to get worse and worse this year. Anyone think that all of the concussions have affected him to the point that he isn't a very good quarterback anymore? Maybe, if he could, Emery would be wise to try and trade Cutler and really start over.

I think Cutler's accuracy was phenomenal this year. The unfortunate part is the bears did not run plays designed to get people open. There was no thought process that "oh if we drag this receiver here, this should open it up underneath", etc.

Jay was completing passes to ridiculously covered receivers over and over again. The one player usually wide open was Davis, who would drop the ball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Emery's last draft with the Falcons was Matt Ryan. He was instrumental in picking Roddy White, but I think most people give credit to Dimitroff.

So, he gets credit but he doesnt. Ok