2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 09:06 PM)
I'd love Clements for an OC, I think there are better options for a HC. The bustability of some of these assistants is pretty high.

Serious q: isn't that the case for any hire? Retread coach, college coach, coordinator...all have fairly high bust rates.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Bears asked permission to interview packers OC and former qb coach Tom Clements. Obviously has done some nice things, but he's 59 - seems a bit old to start your first gig as a HC

Clements would have been great to try as our OC a couple years ago, but the Packers declined to let him interview with us. As a HC option, not sure I'd like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
Serious q: isn't that the case for any hire? Retread coach, college coach, coordinator...all have fairly high bust rates.

I think there is much less risk if you hire Andy Reid or Jon Gruden or Cowher or Holmgren. My point is...Bears went from a guy who was one of the better coaches in football and are in a position they should be able to contend. A lot of the names being thrown out have some major flaws that concern me. I shouldn't even say flaws, but things they haven't yet done which make you wonder if they can do it as an HC (in some instances not necessarily their fault they haven't done them either).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 03:01 AM)
The Bears OL troubles are systemic. Simply adding a Jake Long or Ryan Clady wont fix anything long term, and may even make the situation worse by having all that money tied up in one player.

Having a pro bowl LT absolutely fixes things long term

AFC WC: (6) Cincinnati over (3) Houston, (5) Indianapolis over (4) Baltimore

NFC WC: (3) Green Bay over (6) Minnesota, (5) Seattle over (4) Washington

AFC DIV: (1) Denver over (6) Cincinnati, (2) New England over (5) Indianapolis

NFC DIV: (5) Seattle over (1) Atlanta, (2) San Francisco over (3) Green Bay

AFC CH: (1) Denver over (2) New England

NFC CH: (2) San Francisco over (5) Seattle

SB: Denver over San Francisco

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
I don't know if you noticed this, but Gruden loves EVERYONE!

I will say this much for Gruden, he is the best teacher of the game in the booth that I know of, when it comes to the NFL. No one actually gets in and breaks down plays, formations, techniques, etc like Gruden does. I don't let the cheerleadering bother me, as his technical work is just spectacular.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 06:27 AM)
Having a pro bowl LT absolutely fixes things long term

I think there's still a serious scheme problem in the Bears offense that leaves their OLine players alone, without help, way too often.

But...the chances of the Bears having the same scheme next year appear remote.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
He didn't deserve to be fired so quickly. Rex Grossman would have an upgrade at the QB position for them.

I'd assume part of the problem had to be that he was involved in choosing their QB candidate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
I think there's still a serious scheme problem in the Bears offense that leaves their OLine players alone, without help, way too often.

But...the chances of the Bears having the same scheme next year appear remote.

*ding*

But really, Clady or Long at LT is huge. Every OL gets beat here and then, Webb gets beat consistently.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
I think both he and Lovie are on Buffalos list. As is Denver's OC, who is on the Bears list.

Buffalo is interviewing everyone. I haven't seem them connected with Lovie, but I have seen Lovie say he'd be a great fit in Buffalo (which I agree with 100%, as I said on here).

Whisenhunt seems to be at the top of their list, but he'd be stepping into the same problems he had in Arizona - no QB, good skill position talent, shaky and injury prone offensive line, plus the defense would be worse and he has generally used a 3-4 which the Bills simply don't have the talent for right now. I think Whiz is a terrible fit in Buffalo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
I will say this much for Gruden, he is the best teacher of the game in the booth that I know of, when it comes to the NFL. No one actually gets in and breaks down plays, formations, techniques, etc like Gruden does. I don't let the cheerleadering bother me, as his technical work is just spectacular.

What now?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Andy Reid interviewing with KC right now. Rumor that Pioli would be out as GM if Reid signed on as HC. I'd be ecstatic if this actually comes to fruition

How do they swing that? Is it just the owner meeting with Reid?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
How do they swing that? Is it just the owner meeting with Reid?

‏Seems that way

@JasonLaCanfora

To those with the immediate question of what would Andy Reid in KC mean for Scott Pioli - it would mean a new GM

‏@SaveOurChiefs

Mort also says Reid will not want Pioli around.

‏@SaveOurChiefs

Clark Hunt is in Philadelphia to interview Andy Reid today, before Reid travels to Arizona tonight.

Nick Jacobs

‏@Jacobs71

Not buying that Pioli is involved in the HC interview process.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 04:01 AM)
The Bears OL troubles are systemic. Simply adding a Jake Long or Ryan Clady wont fix anything long term, and may even make the situation worse by having all that money tied up in one player.

Like others have said it absolutely will.

I'm not worried about locking all that money into one player if it's clear he's exactly what the team needs. Grab Long, or Will Beatty would be a good option for a little cheaper, then draft another OLineman in the first and hope he can pan out right away and the line should be tremendously upgraded from it. They also get Lance Louis back next year.

1st rounder-Louis-Garza-Carimi-Long would be a solid line, and with the weapons the Bears have they'd great benefit from it.