Sox sign Kosuke Fukudome

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:59 AM)
We have no idea how Robin will run the team.

That's why I said, 'just to piss me off'

You know that's how it's going to go, though. No way Robin is going to bench Rios through the all-star break at least.

He'll be playing every day through the first few weeks of hot weather.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:36 AM)
That's why I said, 'just to piss me off'

You know that's how it's going to go, though. No way Robin is going to bench Rios through the all-star break at least.

He'll be playing every day through the first few weeks of hot weather.

You have no freaking idea how Robin is going to manage. Hopefully Robin has the guts to make difficult decisions, unlike our last manager.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:50 AM)
You have no freaking idea how Robin is going to manage. Hopefully Robin has the guts to make difficult decisions, unlike our last manager.

Facts ...

• Sox have added Fukodome (sp).

• Rios is one of the highest paid players in Sox history and has started in the big leagues for several years now. He's known as a regular.

• A new season is starting making last year's stats mean nothing regarding Rios.

• Any manager will give a highly regarded, well paid veteran like Rios several weeks/months to prove himself, at least until the weather has been warm for a month or so

• Fuko will play.

• DeAza is still young and unknown.

• Viciedo is the new blood that needs to play every day.

Conclusion

• Fuko will play ... at the expense of DeAza, not Rios.

How can u argue with this?

Why would any manager not let Rios play at least until July 1 when he's had a chance to play in warm weather?

In my eyes the guy who gets screwed is my new favorite, DeAza.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Facts ...

• Rios is one of the highest paid players in Sox history and has started in the big leagues for several years now. He's known as a regular.

• A new season is starting making last year's stats mean nothing regarding Rios.

• Any manager will give a highly regarded, well paid veteran like Rios several weeks/months to prove himself, at least until the weather has been warm for a month or so

• Fuko will play.

Conclusion

Why would any manager not let Rios play at least until July 1 when he's had a chance to play in warm weather?

Fukudome is making $500 K. How is that starter's money? He's being brought in as a 4th OF so Lillibridge can play more infield and be utilized better. That's what the signing says to me. Plus what if for some reason De Aza is terrible and can't be an everyday player? At least Fukudome has experience (and some success) in the leadoff spot, and can step in if need be. Who else does this team have to leadoff if De Aza is not the answer? No one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Facts ...

• Sox have added De Aza and Viciedo.

• Lilli will play.

• De Aza and Viciedo are still young and unknown.

• Pierre is the manager favorite, so he'll play.

Conclusion

• Rios and Pierre will play ... at the expense of Viciedo and De Aza.

Why would any manager not let Viciedo or De Aza play at least until to show he is capable, when they've had a chance to start.

In my eyes the guy who gets screwed is my new favorite, De Aza and Viciedo

QUOTE (MAX @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:35 AM)
Is there something in that post above mine? I see a lot of blank posts here like that. Are they images or what?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)
you don't see the picture? It's wild. Here, let me try and post it:

QUOTE (MAX @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
<_>

:lol:

It was me quoting greg...and changing some stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Facts ...

• Fuko will play.

Conclusion

You know, I co uldn't help but laugh when I saw this, because one of my first reactions to this signing was..."If we still had the same manager as last year, that'd be it for Viciedo's playing time."

Look at these split stats for his career numbers, when batting 3RD or 5TH:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...=Career&t=b

He has a career .390 OBP when batting 3RD or 5TH, over 550 plate appearances. That's a more interesting split stat than his numbers versus RHP/LHP.

Given Rios' ineptitude vs. RHP, I'd like to see Fukudome get the nod over Rios against right handers.

A middle of the order consisting of Fukudome, Konerko, Dunn and Viciedo gives you a couple of high OBP hitters and a nice sequence of lefty, righty, lefty righty.

Beckham could bat second, if he figures it out, and de Aza leads off. That would give you a lefty, righty combo at the top of the order as well.

The Sox have really suffered the consequences of poor OBP and Fukudome could help a lot in that regard, especially batting 3RD.

The fact that he has primarily been used as a lead off hitter, might explain why he has never been much of an RBI producer.

He had 61 RBI's in 460 at bats batting 3RD and 5TH compared to 47 RBI's in 711 at bats, as a leadoff hitter.

He has been a pretty good hitter with runners in scoring position, especially versus RHP.

I understand that Rios is the one with the big salary, but I hope they give his playing time to Fukudome, if Rios falters badly again.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Look at these split stats for his career numbers, when batting 3RD or 5TH:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...=Career&t=b

He has a career .390 OBP when batting 3RD or 5TH, over 550 plate appearances. That's a more interesting split stat than his numbers versus RHP/LHP.

Do you honestly think this is a function of him somehow being better when he's in the middle of the order, versus him being put in the middle of the order during times when he's hitting well versus moved elsewhere during times when he isn't?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Do you honestly think this is a function of him somehow being better when he's in the middle of the order, versus him being put in the middle of the order during times when he's hitting well versus moved elsewhere during times when he isn't?

Good point, and well taken. Nevertheless, he is a good OBP hitter.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Good point, and well taken. Nevertheless, he is a good OBP hitter.

At least he was until he got to Cleveland last year and his numbers collapsed.

If he puts up numbers similar to his total average last year...he's an above average backup/sub for corner OF positions. If he puts up numbers similar to those he put up in Cleveland, he won't belong as anything more than mopup duty.

Rios has to get the bulk of the playing time. There's no way to dump him on anyone if he's merely facing LHP.

Especially if he's playing at least decently and we're anywhere within hailing distance of first place...if he's totally tanking, then you can experiment with Fukudome more and potentially move him at the deadline for a piece or 2.

But getting Rios off the books should be priority #1 for Williams.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Rios has to get the bulk of the playing time. There's no way to dump him on anyone if he's merely facing LHP.

Especially if he's playing at least decently and we're anywhere within hailing distance of first place...if he's totally tanking, then you can experiment with Fukudome more and potentially move him at the deadline for a piece or 2.

But getting Rios off the books should be priority #1 for Williams.

I say FUKU Rios !

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Put your changes in bold next time, otherwise it's just confusing. That goes for all you clever whipper-snappers who "fix" posts.

Ok, I gotcha next time. Though I wasn't doing it to "fix" it so much as make a point.

Edit: Before you kill me Kal, I was just kidding around.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Ok, I gotcha next time. Though I wasn't doing it to "fix" it so much as make a point.

Edit: Before you kill me Kal, I was just kidding around.

Regardless of the horrible things people (especially Qwerty) say about you, you're my boy.

To return to the subject of this thread; The more I think about this signing, the more I like it. The Sox have really had a tough time getting on base.

Fukudome is a very high on base percentage hitter, especially against RHP. Again, I understand that Rios has a huge contract, but Fukudome's OBP stats are so superior to his that it's hard to justify playing Rios over Fukudome against right handers.

I'd love to see Rios relegated to the bench, as a defensive replacement for Viciedo. If the Sox can go into late innings with a lead, and have Fukudome, de Aza and Rios in the outfield, they will catch the ball. That's a pretty good defensive outfield. I remember when Gary Matthews Jr. had a big contract, and was nevertheless used as a defensive replacement. Who cares? The only justification for playing Rios based on his salary, is the hope that his increased visibility enhances the chances of moving him.

Of course, if you've given up on the idea that the Sox can even be competitive, then it's all a mute point. However, with the pitching depth of this squad, they could be a lot better than people think. If they catch the ball, and get a little better production out of last year's underachievers, Beckham, and Dunn, they could score enough runs to win a lot of games behind good pitching and defense. Having Fukudome and de Aza getting on base for the heart of the order could significantly improve run production. Dunn is still the key. He must produce, or they're in big trouble.

Having to depend upon improvement from half of the lineup is not a good idea. Beckham, Rios, Dunn and Morel are all big question marks. I'd rather see the Sox have a few more pieces upon which they could rely. At least Fukudome represents a little better consistency.

De Aza and Fukudome should be in the lineup everyday against RHP. I'd have Fukudome fill in for Viciedo and Rios equally, letting Robin go with the better matchup on any given day. Against LHP I'd go with an outfield of Viciedo, Rios, and Lillibridge everytime. I honestly think we'll get a lot of production out of our outfield if Robin handles the playing time correctly.

Also, I'd bat De Aza and Fukudome 1st & 2nd against RHP. Not sure who I'd want batting 2nd against LHP, but I'd definitely have Lillibridge in the leadoff spot. A platoon of De Aza/Lillibridge should be a significant upgrade over Pierre. As long as Robin doesn't make the #2 hitter throws away outs all the time and he puts some OBP in the spot, that should also be an improvement over last year. I'm hopeful that the top of our order will much better without Pierre and Guillen.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
De Aza and Fukudome should be in the lineup everyday against RHP. I'd have Fukudome fill in for Viciedo and Rios equally,

NO.

Play the **** kid. Don't hide them, don't tell them they should be scared of the pitcher, don't tell them that they can't make it, don't tell them that they're not good enough.

Sick to death of watching this team's manager convince every kid on the roster that they're not good enough and that there's nothing they can do because the guy behind him needs his at bats.