White Sox TV Crew Rated Last

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be one of Hawk's biggest fans. I first heard him call a game when I was 8 years old and he is the primary reason I majored in broadcasting and am doing play-by-play right now. Hopefully one day people here can rip me for being the Sox TV PbP guy. :lol:

There is no way they are the worst in the league. Steve Stone alone keeps them out of the bottom five. And I agree with what others have said; what's wrong with being a homer? I want my PbP guy to root for my team.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
I still don't understand why being a "homer" is a negative for local broadcasters. Only Chicago listens to him, he is not broadcasting for ESPN or FOX. I like having an announcer that roots for the team along with me. There are times when his one-sidedness bothers me, but its still better than having a lot of other guys out there.

I have no interest in listening to neutral announcers. They bore the s*** out of me. I want some excitement and to feel like we are rooting for the same team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
I have no interest in listening to neutral announcers. They bore the s*** out of me. I want some excitement and to feel like we are rooting for the same team.

You can be an exciting broadcaster in a neutral setting. Gus Johnson is a prime example. I also really think Mike Tirico does a pretty good job. And if you watch international soccer, there are a lot of great broadcasters.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
I might be one of Hawk's biggest fans. I first heard him call a game when I was 8 years old and he is the primary reason I majored in broadcasting and am doing play-by-play right now. Hopefully one day people here can rip me for being the Sox TV PbP guy. :lol:

There is no way they are the worst in the league. Steve Stone alone keeps them out of the bottom five. And I agree with what others have said; what's wrong with being a homer? I want my PbP guy to root for my team.

Word. I know when I do games the excitement of guys like Hawk and Pat Foley, plus their raw emotions in the course of a game are something that I draw on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
[/b]

Word. I know when I do games the excitement of guys like Hawk and Pat Foley, plus their raw emotions in the course of a game are something that I draw on.

No doubt. I try to take things from every broadcaster I listen to. Hawk and Pat are very energetic and exciting for the most part, which is engaging to listeners. I love how Vin Scully can tell a story about any player at any time and the broadcast and make it work. You have to be able to balance a lot of aspects, which is hard to do.

Joe Buck, for instance, is bad at everything. I'll take Hawk over Bucks 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

I don't mind Hawk being a homer, it's one of his good qualities. I do mind that he's a grumpy, insufferable bully that goes out of his way to talk over his broadcast partner. He hasn't had an original thought in years. I don't care about Yaz or Frank Howard. I don't care to hear "get on back there" and "stretch" for balls that aren't going to get to the warning track. I can see it from my couch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
You can be an exciting broadcaster in a neutral setting. Gus Johnson is a prime example. I also really think Mike Tirico does a pretty good job. And if you watch international soccer, there are a lot of great broadcasters.

But what about strictly for baseball?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
I don't mind Hawk being a homer, it's one of his good qualities. I do mind that he's a grumpy, insufferable bully that goes out of his way to talk over his broadcast partner. He hasn't had an original thought in years. I don't care about Yaz or Frank Howard. I don't care to hear "get on back there" and "stretch" for balls that aren't going to get to the warning track. I can see it from my couch.

Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
But what about strictly for baseball?

To be perfectly honest, I haven't really heard all that many broadcast duo's other than the White Sox pair. Many would argue Vin Scully is awfully dull and bland but he's a legend. Baseball is weird.

Of national baseball guys (that I can think of) I really like what Jon Miller and Gary Thorne do. Joe Buck is God awful, and so is Brenneman. Kenny Albert is meh.

Unfortunately, I've had to put up with a LOT of Mario Impemba and Rod Allen, the Detroit Tigers TV guys on FSN Detroit. And IMO, they are WAY worse than Hawk and Stoney. Rod Allen tries so badly to be the Stacey King of baseball and it just sounds dumb. His analysis is worthless. Impemba is just there.

Well said. Hawk doesn't suck because he's a homer, he sucks because he's old & senile and contributes very little to the baseball watching experience. This ranking is a bit of an insult to Steve Stone, who I think is a great analyst.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 11:21 PM)
I want to watch the game with fans. Its why I love Hawk and Stacey King.

King's great. He's enthusiastic and playful. King doesn't pout. He doesn't leave the booth during a tough quarter. He doesn't correct Funk. He doesn't treat Funk as if he knows nothing or is disinterested. Hawk tends to be depressing, angry and bitter. When we're bad, watching baseball becomes a chore. I also find Hawk disingenuous. He doesn't really tell it like it is. I'll continue to watch every game I can. I just take Hawk with an Elston Avenue factory of salt.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)
King's great. He's enthusiastic and playful. King doesn't pout. He doesn't leave the booth during a tough quarter. He doesn't correct Funk. He doesn't treat Funk as if he knows nothing or is disinterested. Hawk tends to be depressing, angry and bitter. When we're bad, watching baseball becomes a chore. I also find Hawk disingenuous. He doesn't really tell it like it is. I'll continue to watch every game I can. I just take Hawk with an Elston Avenue factory of salt.

Have you ever heard the opinions of non-Bulls fans on Funk/King? They are incredibly biased, especially when it comes to officiating.

I think you can be a homer without being totally unprofessional and spewing out the same stories and verbage every game. You could make a Hawk soundboard and just use that every game. Hit the corresponding quote with the situation.

Hawk crying about umps gets old and he isn't very educational or insightful.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 04:39 AM)
I think you can be a homer without being totally unprofessional and spewing out the same stories and verbage every game. You could make a Hawk soundboard and just use that every game. Hit the corresponding quote with the situation.

Hawk crying about umps gets old and he isn't very educational or insightful.

I will admit when the White Sox are losing Hawk can be tough on the ears, but when things are going good there isn't a person on the planet I'd rather have announcing the games. I just love having an announcer who is as passionate about the team as the biggest fans.

stone is ok, but he has 2 main problems. 1) he talks wayyy too much. You don't need to analyze every little thing that goes in the game. and 2) 90% of the stuff he decides to analyze, is like baseball 101. Now I know most that post on soxtalk have a baseball IQ above that of the average fan, so doesn't it seem to you guys like Stone is trying to teach baseball to a 2nd grader?

I love Hawk. I am the complete opposite of almost every fan when it comes to announcers though. I loved Joe Morgan. Basically, I love old ball players who tell stories. Thats the type of stuff you can only really learn from those guys. I know everyone makes fun of Morgan for his "Al Oliver comment," but you know what? As dumb of a comment as it might have been (and it was dumb) if he hadn't said it, I probably wouldn't know who Al oliver is. Same thing with Hawk. Now of course I would know who Yaz is without hawk, but im not sure I'd know much about Tony conigliaro, or bert campernaris if it wasnt for hawk

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)

Take out King and Hawk and replace it with Soxtalk.

I'm a math guy, stats guy, engineer, and I still like (sometimes love) Hawk.

I also love Fangraphs, but it's clear that their average reader craves blandness and revels in intellectual superiority. "Polarizing" IS the right word for Hawk, just not among the geek set, apparently.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
stone is ok, but he has 2 main problems. 1) he talks wayyy too much. You don't need to analyze every little thing that goes in the game. and 2) 90% of the stuff he decides to analyze, is like baseball 101. Now I know most that post on soxtalk have a baseball IQ above that of the average fan, so doesn't it seem to you guys like Stone is trying to teach baseball to a 2nd grader?

I love Hawk. I am the complete opposite of almost every fan when it comes to announcers though. I loved Joe Morgan. Basically, I love old ball players who tell stories. Thats the type of stuff you can only really learn from those guys. I know everyone makes fun of Morgan for his "Al Oliver comment," but you know what? As dumb of a comment as it might have been (and it was dumb) if he hadn't said it, I probably wouldn't know who Al oliver is. Same thing with Hawk. Now of course I would know who Yaz is without hawk, but im not sure I'd know much about Tony conigliaro, or bert campernaris if it wasnt for hawk

What was the Oliver comment?

I like Hawk. Being a 'homer' is expected, however, if a home team player screws up, it should be noted. The announcers in Colorado are homers, much worse than Hawk. When Tulo gets thrown out at third by 10-20 feet stretching a double into a triple with no outs, the announcers here admire Tulo for his hustle. Maybe they are not allowed to criticize players.

yup