The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

Ozzie Guillen says he will never return to the Sox as long as Kenny Williams is there

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com April 4, 2012 9:14PM

MIAMI, FL - APRIL 04: Manager Ozzie Guillen #13 of the Miami Marlins waves during Opening Day against the St. Louis Cardinals at Marlins Park on April 4, 2012 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)

Updated: April 4, 2012 9:32PM

MIAMI — White Sox general manager Ken Williams summed it up as a nice exchange.

Williams sent a text message to Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen a few weeks ago. He thanked him for his time with the Sox and said he was saddened by the way the breakup went down.

On Wednesday, Guillen had a ‘‘nice’’ follow-up for Williams. The gist of it: Lose my number.

“It meant s---,’’ Guillen said of the text. “You know why? It looked like he set me up. It was like [Williams was saying], ‘Look, I texted him.’ OK, I texted him back because I’m a gentleman. My family was very upset, [saying], ‘Why did you respond to him?’ But I’m a man. I respect people, and the only thing I said was, ‘Thank you for the opportunity.’ ’’

Would it have meant more if Williams had called or tried to speak to him face-to-face?

“No, not really,’’ Guillen said, “because if it was done the White Sox’ way, I thought I would have gotten a phone call saying, ‘F--- you,’ ‘I’m glad your gone,’ ‘Thank you,’ whatever the reason was, [sooner]. But a few months [after the 2011 season], we saw each other at the winter meetings, and nobody said anything. I don’t know why they didn’t say something then.’’

It didn’t stop there for Guillen.

He scoffed at the idea that he might pull a Billy Martin and eventually return to the Sox.

“As long as Kenny Williams is the GM, I will never go back to the White Sox,’’ Guillen said. “Never, never.’’

And the “Jerry Reinsdorf is like a father figure’’ thing won’t change Guillen’s stance, either. It worked in bringing Guillen back for 2011, but it won’t work now.

“Nope, never,’’ Guillen said. “Or even if Kenny is involved with the ballclub, never. You know why? I think we hurt each other. Well, I’m not going to say he hurt me; we hurt each other. We don’t respect each other in different ways. And I don’t think my family would let me do that. And, to me, my family is more important than anyone around. If Kenny is around, we cannot work together anymore. I don’t think it would happen. I don’t think Kenny wants me, either. That’s easy.’’

If it were up to Guillen, there would be no more Sox talk thrown his way at this point. But it’s hard to escape.

Just looking around Marlins Park hours before the first pitch Wednesday, there was Sox minority owner Eddie Einhorn on hand for Opening Night. Former teammate and Sox great Frank Thomas was a few feet away.

Even during spring training, Guillen tried to stay out of the Sox’ business, but then he had to read a story in the New York Times in which Reinsdorf said, “With Ozzie, it got to the point where he liked to throw people under the bus. [New manager Robin Ventura] will never be like that.’’

Some father figure.

“The funny thing about it is if I worked there for a year, it would be a different thing,’’ Guillen said. “But I worked there for eight years. Nobody seemed like they cared then when I was telling the truth.

“I thought we had some great years, and to be honest with you, if it wasn’t for the White Sox, I wouldn’t be here right now. They gave me my first shot. But if I start with, ‘This is what [Jake] Peavy said, this is what this guy said.’ I can’t keep talking about it. Look, I know a lot of stuff out there, but those years for me are over. I’ve turned the page.’’

Now he’s hoping the Sox can do the same.

Losing his number would be a good start.

Link.

Sorry, read at own risk, wasn't even sure if I should post it here?

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no more Sox talk

Cowley getting in a shot at SoxTalk? Trying to be too cute again, or just an overreading/overreaching to think it's about us, perhaps? With Cowley, who knows, because obviously he uses innuendoes a lot in his writing.

Edited by caulfield12

Wow. Lots of powerful quotes.

I'm assuming only the Sun Times is caring about the past regarding our former skipper.

Good for the Trib to not care to send a guy to Miami.

It was a good article, but we really don't need any more of these.

We get it. Our former skipper despises Kenny.

I guess that's news if that's the first time we've seen that Jerry quote in the Chicago media.

That's a pretty s***ty quote by Reinsdorf. Whom did Jerry mean Ozzie threw under the bus?? Coop? Players? What players did Oz knock under the bus? Oz supported Jenks, he stood by Thornton, never blasted Pierre for his April blunders, pretty much was good with Beckham? WTF was Jerry talking about? Just Coop?

Oh well, don't answer if u dont want. I don't really care.

After watching video on mlb.com on the white sox page of highlights of Paulie/Dunn bombs and some interviews with Peavy, etc., I'm kind of excited for the season.

Edited by greg775

I don't get his whole "Ozzie has turned the page, now the Sox have to," no Cowley, it's you that has to turn the page. These guys aren't coming out and fighting to the media on their own, it's your bulls*** stories that fuel these quotes (all from Ozzie, surprise).

Stop saying the Sox have to turn the page when you keep flipping back to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Wow. Lots of powerful quotes.

I'm assuming only the Sun Times is caring about the past regarding our former skipper.

Good for the Trib to not care to send a guy to Miami.

It was a good article, but we really don't need any more of these.

We get it. Our former skipper despises Kenny.

I guess that's news if that's the first time we've seen that Jerry quote in the Chicago media.

That's a pretty s***ty quote by Reinsdorf. Whom did Jerry mean Ozzie threw under the bus?? Coop? Players? What players did Oz knock under the bus? Oz supported Jenks, he stood by Thornton, never blasted Pierre for his April blunders, pretty much was good with Beckham? WTF was Jerry talking about? Just Coop?

Oh well, don't answer if u dont want. I don't really care.

After watching video on mlb.com on the white sox page of highlights of Paulie/Dunn bombs and some interviews with Peavy, etc., I'm kind of excited for the season.

Orlando Cabrera

Javy V.

Sean Tracey

Brian Anderson (sort of)

Jon Garland

Swisher (although he probably deserved it)

Beckham

Daniel Hudson

Viciedo

Jenks

Tim Raines

Razor Shines

Jeff Cox

Lillibridge when he made a couple of mistakes in the OF after clearly being the best fielder on the team at a new position for most of the season, despite the fact that Rios made 20-30 more egregious mistakes, seemingly on an everyday basis

Dunn, when he would PH him in the midst of the worst hitting slump in baseball history against a LHP when Lillibridge was white hot at that time

Edited by caulfield12

I wish Ozzie well in Florida, and I think he's the perfect manager for that team. That park is gigantic, and Ozzie will keep that team playing small ball instead of relying on a 3 run homer. There is some insane speed at the top of their order. As for what he said in this article, I truly hope Ozzie doesn't alienate himself too much from the Sox organization. I guarantee in a few years when they're celebrating the 10 year anniversary of 2005, Ozzie will be someone that everyone wants included in the celebration.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
I wish Ozzie well in Florida, and I think he's the perfect manager for that team. That park is gigantic, and Ozzie will keep that team playing small ball instead of relying on a 3 run homer. There is some insane speed at the top of their order. As for what he said in this article, I truly hope Ozzie doesn't alienate himself too much from the Sox organization. I guarantee in a few years when they're celebrating the 10 year anniversary of 2005, Ozzie will be someone that everyone wants included in the celebration.

But what are the odds that KW is still in the White Sox front office 3 years from now?

You know when Ozzie makes on the record comments like this, it makes it more and more difficult for him to return. The only thing that mitigates against that is the fact that they have the ongoing feud over who is most responsible for the World Series title, and Ozzie will never let KW get the credit all alone when he feels he deserves at least 75% of the credit, especially since it hadn't happened in the lifetimes of most Sox fans.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:11 AM)
If you ask Ozzie to talk, he will talk. There's no mute button. We all know this. As long as people continue to ask Ozzie about the White Sox (which they'll be doing all season long) stories like this won't go away. Especially from Cowley.

Is what it is.

Good post.

I encourage u to stick around and post, post, post

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
Good post.

I encourage u to stick around and post, post, post

What is your next promotion here after Rongey Fan Club? 20,000 posts makes you what?

Guess he's (Ranger) been scared away from posting here for the time being, but will resurface when things are looking brighter for the organization.

Edited by caulfield12

What's scary is Ozzie is programmed by his sons and they are some dumb motherf***ers. When KW mentioned that text story, and there is little doubt in my mind he mentioned it to try to make himself look good and to try to prove he and Ozzie had moved on, his sons went on twitter and said it was total BS, Ozzie never responded. When they found out Ozzie did respond like an adult, they both had a fit and actually Oney ripped Ozzie.

What's new about this recycled story? Ozzie won't work for the Sox as long as KW is there? I'm pretty sure KW AND JR won't have Ozzie as long as KW is there. Nothing new, just Joe trying to start trouble watching his career melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
i hope the mods change my little nickname thing again.

i like rongey but you are rite he doesn't post here, so no more fan club.

I'll take any moniker the mods come up with.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no, not taking this bait.

Greg, you come up with something and we will change it for you. Just send us a PM

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no, not taking this bait.

Greg, you come up with something and we will change it for you. Just send us a PM

Hey can you change mine to the default saying that changes with post count?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't get his whole "Ozzie has turned the page, now the Sox have to," no Cowley, it's you that has to turn the page. These guys aren't coming out and fighting to the media on their own, it's your bulls*** stories that fuel these quotes (all from Ozzie, surprise).

Stop saying the Sox have to turn the page when you keep flipping back to it.

And having his pet reporter fly down to Miami to print it for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
But what are the odds that KW is still in the White Sox front office 3 years from now?

You know when Ozzie makes on the record comments like this, it makes it more and more difficult for him to return. The only thing that mitigates against that is the fact that they have the ongoing feud over who is most responsible for the World Series title, and Ozzie will never let KW get the credit all alone when he feels he deserves at least 75% of the credit, especially since it hadn't happened in the lifetimes of most Sox fans.

Does no one else remember the fireworks when he didn't get re-signed as a player?