2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
Illinois 76, Minnesota 72. That's my prediction. Tight game from the get go, Illinois goes on a small run to start the 2nd half and never lets up.

If the Illini can keep the rebounds close, then I agree that they'll win. That will be a tall order though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
That was the fear with Ohio State and it didn't happen. Obviously Minnesota's bigs are better, but I think Illinois made rebounding a point of emphasis. Perhaps Purdue was the wake up call they needed.

I hope so... The hall should be rockin tonight too. Would be a huge victory.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
That was the fear with Ohio State and it didn't happen. Obviously Minnesota's bigs are better, but I think Illinois made rebounding a point of emphasis. Perhaps Purdue was the wake up call they needed.

Ohio State is a little bit above average on the offensive glass. Minnesota is by far and away the best offensive rebounding team in the country and if they maintain their offensive rebounding rate for the rest of the season they would be have statistically the best offensive rebounding rate in the last 10 years.

Illinois' ability to bounce back and get a tremendous comeback win after such a bad loss is something I haven't seen from them in years. I was pretty down after the Purdue loss because we looked like the Bruce Weber team. Against OSU, we actually adjusted and played well in a high pressure game. I hope we can be just as resilient tonight.

Here's a better question - if Illinois beats Minnesota, will the pundits finally stop saying that they don't "buy" Illinois? I notice in all the write-ups that people are still hesitant to believe Illinois is a good team. I'm not sure what else they can do - they've beaten final four contending teams on three occasions now at various points in the season. It's not like they got hot and won a tournament in one weekend (although they did). They've done it in a pre-season tournament, the non-conference and at home in big ten play. How is that not proof of them being consistent?

Also, the three point shooting thing has gotten old. They haven't shot the three well since Gonzaga and still have only one "bad" loss. They could have easily won the game against Missouri and they still managed to blow out Ohio State (and really they had a chance at Purdue but whatever, a bad night). This team does not live and die by the three. They just happen to use the three ball a lot in their offense.

/rant

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Anyone who says they "dont buy" any of the top teams in the conference are quite frankly morons. There are going to be losses all over the conference and teams will drop in the rankings but that doesnt make them any less competitive overall in the country.

I agree, but the issue is where you draw the the dividing line for "top teams." I've seen some commentators do it after only Michigan and IU, some do those two plus Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio St, Michigan State.

I'd say the rankings right now are something like this....

Michigan

Indiana

Minnesota

Illinois

Ohio State

Michigan State

Iowa

Wisconsin

Purdue

Northwestern

Penn State

Nebraska

Michigan is clearly the top, and we'll know more about Minnesota after these next two road games against Illinois and Indiana. I would say those top 3 teams are better than the rest right now. It's a long conference season and who knows where it will all end up.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I agree, but the issue is where you draw the the dividing line for "top teams." I've seen some commentators do it after only Michigan and IU, some do those two plus Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio St, Michigan State.

I'd say the rankings right now are something like this....

Michigan

Indiana

Minnesota

Illinois

Ohio State

Michigan State

Iowa

Wisconsin

Purdue

Northwestern

Penn State

Nebraska

Michigan is clearly the top, and we'll know more about Minnesota after these next two road games against Illinois and Indiana. I would say those top 3 teams are better than the rest right now. It's a long conference season and who knows where it will all end up.

The top 6 are locks for the tourney IMO. There will be losses, mostly on the road, and because of that people will continue to move teams down the rankings.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
The top 6 are locks for the tourney IMO. There will be losses, mostly on the road, and because of that people will continue to move teams down the rankings.

Agreed. I think at least one of Iowa/Wisconsin make it in, maybe both.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Here's a better question - if Illinois beats Minnesota, will the pundits finally stop saying that they don't "buy" Illinois? I notice in all the write-ups that people are still hesitant to believe Illinois is a good team. I'm not sure what else they can do - they've beaten final four contending teams on three occasions now at various points in the season. It's not like they got hot and won a tournament in one weekend (although they did). They've done it in a pre-season tournament, the non-conference and at home in big ten play. How is that not proof of them being consistent?

Also, the three point shooting thing has gotten old. They haven't shot the three well since Gonzaga and still have only one "bad" loss. They could have easily won the game against Missouri and they still managed to blow out Ohio State (and really they had a chance at Purdue but whatever, a bad night). This team does not live and die by the three. They just happen to use the three ball a lot in their offense.

/rant

Honestly it reminds me a lot of the Notre Dame football conversations from this year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 9, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Agreed. I think at least one of Iowa/Wisconsin make it in, maybe both.

Wisconsin hasnt helped themselves this year. They may get in because of their tournament streak, but they are going to have to win some tough games, that so far they have not shown any ability to do.