White Sox Loser

Jake

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
I think you mean "Tanks"...

I'm one who usually doesn't mind Hawk and his broadcasting style, but that was driving me up a wall. I kept saying Missiles when Ramirez was up, just a stupid thing to add an s to.

Hey, Jim Leyland is a believer:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,164295.story

“People who made those picks, they know nothing about baseball,” Leyland said.“Trust me. If they think the Chicago White Sox are not going to be in the thick of this, they’re crazy. They don’t know anything about baseball, people who make picks like that ... they know nothing about baseball. Nothing!”

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)

“People who made those picks, they know nothing about baseball,” Leyland said.“Trust me. If they think the Chicago White Sox are not going to be in the thick of this, they’re crazy. They don’t know anything about baseball, people who make picks like that ... they know nothing about baseball. Nothing!”

Awesome bleepin quote and an absoluetly true observation based on all the heart we displayed in our first week in 2012.

Bring it!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
Awesome bleepin quote and an absoluetly true observation based on all the heart we displayed in our first week in 2012.

Bring it!

That was an awesome quote coming from someone who knows baseball. The problem with some of the people who agree with Leyland is that most on this site agreed with the "experts" before the season began in that at best we would be a slightly above 500 team and that we would be miles behind Detroit. It's amazing how a good start to the season can change a few minds.

Not calling out anyone in particular because I do not remember who voted for what on the poll a few weeks ago, but just sayin.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
I'll never understand the hatred for Cowley on this site.

I understand the hatred, I can't understand why he is so widely read. He is the most quoted and commented on media member and there really isn't a number 2. It's like watching a S&M film only the masochists here don't even pretend to enjoy it but they keep going back for the pain.

I can't stand banging my head into the wall

bang bang

bang bang

bang bang

bang bang

bang bang

bang bang

until he finally moves on to another town . . .

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 11:51 PM)

Balta had them for 90+ losses in February. I guess Leyland's talking to him too! Time will tell.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Balta had them for 90+ losses in February. I guess Leyland's talking to him too! Time will tell.

No, I didn't. This is what you'd call "Taking words so far out of context that the word Lie is completely reasonable".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)

Balta said they could lose 100 games and Kenny would keep his job. I do not recall him predicting 100 or even 90 losses.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
What did you say?

I've been at 78 wins all year.

But I can see a path to the mid 60's. Get off to a bad start driven by a number of guys, sell off a couple of the more reliable pieces (Floyd, Peavy) to save wahtever money can be saved, call up youth to replace them even if they're not ready (Molina), and then have Sale and Humber tire out in the 2nd half while playing other kids.

And if that happened, KW should still keep his job, because that would be a necessary step in a rebuilding process.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Take 2 of 3 every series you got 90 plus wins I will take it.

2 of 3 would actually be 108 wins. I'm not trying to be a jerk, either. I was going to post somewhere after the first five games, when they were 3-2, that they were on pace for 97 wins. A 3-2 or 6-4 record doesn't seem that impressive, but if you break the season down in 5 or 10 games at a time, that's all you have to do to win the division.

I've thought all along that the starting pitching, IF Peavy is healthy, is good enough to win. Combined with Beckham, Rios, and Dunn improving somewhat over last year, and I don't think playoffs is totally out of the question.

Four pretty big ifs, though.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I've been at 78 wins all year.

But I can see a path to the mid 60's. Get off to a bad start driven by a number of guys, sell off a couple of the more reliable pieces (Floyd, Peavy) to save wahtever money can be saved, call up youth to replace them even if they're not ready (Molina), and then have Sale and Humber tire out in the 2nd half while playing other kids.

And if that happened, KW should still keep his job, because that would be a necessary step in a rebuilding process.

Definitely, add to that AJ (so you can see more of Flowers and maybe Phegley) and Crain or Thornton going to a playoff contender, a completely viable scenario.