Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
And Hudson?

Last time I checked Hudson wasn't in the minors putting up mediocre numbers the last three years. Hudson is a league average player (actually had a 1.8 WAR last year) that we simply don't have in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Wait, we're not picking up his contract right?

Here's the phrasing:

In a curious move, the Chicago White Sox appear set to sign four-time Gold Glove second baseman Orlando Hudson, who was released.

"Apparently, it's going to happen," said a team source Saturday, 90 minutes before the Sox were set to play the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

Peter Gammons of MLB.com reported Hudson's imminent signing.

If the Sox were picking up his contract, it would be termed "Claiming Hudson on Waivers". The fact that he's being "Signed" means he's cleared waivers, had his contract essentially guaranteed/bought out by the Padres, and the Sox can sign him for the league minimum.

So, short answer, no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
Here's the phrasing:

If the Sox were picking up his contract, it would be termed "Claiming Hudson on Waivers". The fact that he's being "Signed" means he's cleared waivers, had his contract essentially guaranteed/bought out by the Padres, and the Sox can sign him for the league minimum.

So, short answer, no.

The language led me to believe that too, thanks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)

Good.

Orlando Hudson To Sign With White Sox

By Zach Links [May 19 at 4:32pm CST]

Free agent Orlando Hudson claims that he is set to sign with the White Sox, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com (via Twitter). The second baseman was released by the Padres on Thursday afternoon.

The veteran was hitting just .211/.260/.317 in 35 games for San Diego this year and wasn't terribly helpful in grooming the club's young talent. Hudson will earn $5.5MM this year as well as the $2MM buyout he is owed for the 2013 season.

There's a rebuilding team eating more than $6 million...albeit they were going to lose the $2 million regardless.

So that's perfect, KW is signing a veteran player (see AJ as another example, although the threat/rivalry with Flowers has cooled) who may or may not be the most helpful in working with younger players (see Morel/Lillibridge/possibly Saladino) in a rebuilding effort.

Win now, baby! Forget about all the rebuilding/development talk.

This organization is so bi-polar. Seems like we're doomed to win between 75-83 games every season until we're all in the grave.

In the end, it's not a bad move for THIS SEASON if Hudson can re-energize himself and spark some life into the team...if it's not there, easy to part ways with him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)

Free agent Orlando Hudson claims that he is set to sign with the White Sox, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com (via Twitter). The second baseman was released by the Padres on Thursday afternoon.

The veteran was hitting just .211/.260/.317 in 35 games for San Diego this year and wasn't terribly helpful in grooming the club's young talent. Hudson will earn $5.5MM this year as well as the $2MM buyout he is owed for the 2013 season.

There's a rebuilding team eating more than $6 million...albeit they were going to lose the $2 million regardless.

So that's perfect, KW is signing a veteran player (see AJ) who may or may not be the most helpful in working with younger players (see Morel) in a rebuilding effort.

This organization is so bi-polar. Seems like we're doomed to win between 75-83 games every season until we're all in the grave.

I'm probably Morel's biggest fan and I have zero issue with this.

The dude flat out is not healthy. He had that cortisone shot last week, came out, and immediately looked better for a couple days with the bat. Legit line drives again. Then he went right back to struggling with his back, striking out, having his defense suffer, and now we're talking about him going to the DL after missing games.

Eduardo Escobar is not going to make anyone believe he deserves to be the starting MLB 3rd baseman for the next 2+ weeks, maybe more if this is a serious rehab back problem.

DL Morel, get him legitimately healthy, and then we can worry about developing the 3b. Playing Escobar every day at the big league level isn't even a development move.

Hudson isn't being brought in to help groom young talent. He is being brought in as a stopgap replacement at third base because Morel either shat the bed or his back is f***ed, or both. I could care less about him helping to groom young talent, I want a 9 hitter that isn't an automatic out.

My problem is that I am unsure if Hudson isn't an automatic out at this point in his career.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Hudson isn't being brought in to help groom young talent. He is being brought in as a stopgap replacement at third base because Morel either shat the bed or his back is f***ed, or both. I could care less about him helping to groom young talent, I want a 9 hitter that isn't an automatic out.

My problem is that I am unsure if Hudson isn't an automatic out at this point in his career.

From what I can tell, he's hitting better recently. BABIP is much lower than normal as well. He also might like contending a little better than whatever you call what they are doing in San Diego.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)

He was god awful or San Diego and yet better than Morel.

Hopefully he can learn 3B on the fly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)

So that's perfect, KW is signing a veteran player (see AJ as another example, although the threat/rivalry with Flowers has cooled) who may or may not be the most helpful in working with younger players (see Morel/Lillibridge/possibly Saladino) in a rebuilding effort.

In the end, it's not a bad move for THIS SEASON if Hudson can re-energize himself and spark some life into the team...if it's not there, easy to part ways with him.

IMO the team was rebuilding till they found out the real Adam Dunn is playing this year, if he continued to suck then youd continue to see a rebuilding process....As I have kept saying, with the real Dunn, can compete and the people in the organization seem to agree with me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
When it says not helpful in grooming young talent that means he's a jerk.

No harm no foul if he plays third while Morel rehabs the back.

Sad that Morel may be finished (see Crede).

I don't think a "Bulging disk" is a career threatening injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
I don't think a "Bulging disk" is a career threatening injury.

That's the injury both Todd Helton and Rafael Furcal had in 2008. Both had surgery.

We've heard bulging and herniated disk.

Thome had one of the most violent swings in baseball history and managed it with treatment.

There have been just as many who couldn't, like Joe Crede. If they start talking about invasive surgery, then you could start wondering about his career...rather than just physical rehabilitation/therapy/strengthening exercises/stretching/massage, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
The difference in his swing the 2 days right after his cortisone shot was palpable. Then it went away rapidly, and within a few days we're talking about his back again. His back has to be in bad shape right now.

The question is how long was it bothering him for? Is it something that happened and had to do with his poor play? The optimist in me hopes that is the case. His swing looked really good in spring (I realize its spring) but the swing looked good, which is what I care about (vs. results).