UZR

TylerAtIU

I know it is a somewhat small sample size but still almost 50 games in please someone explain this to me...

Per fangraphs some White Sox players UZRs(UZR/150 were all just as bad):

Alex Rios 1.3

De Aza 0.8

25th and 27th ranked OF, while with a UZR of 5.9 Alfonso Soriano is 3rd overall!!

Alexei Ramirez -0.8 16th SS

Gordon Beckham -3.3 23rd 2B

Brent Morel -0.6 14th 3B

WTF?

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
I know it is a somewhat small sample size but still almost 50 games in please someone explain this to me...

Per fangraphs some White Sox players UZRs(UZR/150 were all just as bad):

Alex Rios 1.3

De Aza 0.8

25th and 27th ranked OF, while with a UZR of 5.9 Alfonso Soriano is 3rd overall!!

Alexei Ramirez -0.8 16th SS

Gordon Beckham -3.3 23rd 2B

Brent Morel -0.6 14th 3B

WTF?

It's been only 45 games...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 26, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Defensive metrics are stupid. If you tell me Ramirez and Rios are bad defenders. I'm probably going to laugh at you while I watch you wipe my snot off of your chest.

Ramirez is a gold glover. Rios is just an idiot defensively. Way too many dumb plays, usually as a result of being way too lazy.

Defensive metrics are stupid. If you tell me Ramirez and Rios are bad defenders. I'm probably going to laugh at you while I watch you wipe my snot off of your chest.

These metrics are far more accurate than a given persons eyes. With that said, Alexei is a great defensive player. We all know this. He ranked 2nd among all SS in UZR/150 last year.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 26, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
Ramirez is a gold glover. Rios is just an idiot defensively. Way too many dumb plays, usually as a result of being way too lazy.

Rios doesn't really make dumb plays anymore...only seemed to do that when the entire team was dumb.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
UZR is supposed to be measured over a 3-year span, if I am not mistaken.

Yup. Like anything that has to do with statistics, the larger sample size the better. Soriano's UZR this year is the perfect example why a 50 game sample size is completely irrelevant.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
Yup. Like anything that has to do with statistics, the larger sample size the better. Soriano's UZR this year is the perfect example why a 50 game sample size is completely irrelevant.

Basically means he made a handful of nice plays that have skewed the average so far

UZR has rated Ramirez as the best SS in baseball over the past three years. Rios was one of the best right fielders in baseball, according to UZR, when he was with the Blue Jays.

Sample size determines the usefulness of UZR.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)

Coming into this season, since he's been with the Cubs, Soriano's UZR rating is 55 runs above the average LF. That was 641 games.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Trollers gonna troll

Huh???? Because I feel sabermetrics are overrated I'm a troll? Last I checked it's called an opinion.... But hey that's just me

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 28, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Huh???? Because I feel sabermetrics are overrated I'm a troll? Last I checked it's called an opinion.... But hey that's just me

You're saying what a lot of people believe in is worthless. I don't know how much you've delved into sabermetrics, but I've known a lot of people (myself included) that thought it was stupid at first but eventually turned to like it after getting to know it better.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 28, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
That's great, but just because I think there worthless it doesn't mean I'm a troll. I don't care how many people think there worth something, that's they're opinion and it's cool

Wite's point was that your post added nothing to the discussion, thus troll.

And just from looking at your post, it's apparent you don't know much of anything about sabermetrics. Modern sabermetrics and Bill James aren't all that related...

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Wite's point was that your post added nothing to the discussion, thus troll.

And just from looking at your post, it's apparent you don't know much of anything about sabermetrics. Modern sabermetrics and Bill James aren't all that related...

I think I've been clear that I have no interest in sabermetrics, they don't always proof what players are doing. I've been consistent and it's ridiculous that I'm called a troll cause I don't share the same feelings about the modern stats

So i'm a troll because my post didn't add anything to you're so called "smart" discussion.... Sad

Edited by JoshPR

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I think I've been clear that I have no interest in sabermetrics, they don't always proof what players are doing. I've been consistent and it's ridiculous that I'm called a troll cause I don't share the same feelings about the modern stats

So i'm a troll because my post didn't add anything to you're so called "smart" discussion.... Sad

So if you don't know much, are you really qualified to tell others it's worthless?

And are you qualified too??? Dude I don't give a rat's ass About sabermetrics, check the thread title, it's saying it itself that's what I base my comment on and it proves my point. Again if you and other seem to find value in these stats great I respect that, now on the other hand I don't apreciate being called a troll cause I don't agree with the others on stupid sabermetrics, why if I can respect others I get called a troll??? That's stupid after being part of this board for almost 10 years and have never trolled, that's why I've been around so long.....

Edited by JoshPR

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
And are you qualified too??? Dude I don't give a rat's ass About sabermetrics, check the thread title, it's saying it itself that's what I base my comment on and it proves my point. Again if you and other seem to find value in these stats great I respect that, now on the other hand I don't apreciate being called a troll cause I don't agree with the others on stupid sabermetrics, why if I can respect others I get called a troll??? That's stupid after being part of this board for almost 10 years and have never trolled, that's why I've been around so long.....

You obviously don't. Just look at the first post you made.

What I mean by qualified is that you should always actually get to know what you're speaking against/for before you start bashing or praising it. Otherwise, you just look ignorant.

Edited by chw42

Ohhh so I'm ignorant cause I don't get into the "smart" stats cause yeah all of you are all soooo smart, you know what know you offended me and insulted me, I don't care about the damn stats. I end this here, I'm not worthy speaking to the smart people here ;)