• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

White Sox agree to deal with top pick Hawkins

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com | 06/13/12 3:23 PM ET

ST. LOUIS -- Courtney Hawkins, who was taken with the 13th overall selection in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft, has agreed to terms with the White Sox, as confirmed by two sources to MLB.com.

The 18-year-old from Carroll High School in Corpus Christi, Texas, reportedly signed for the recommended slot bonus of $2.475 million, pending a physical to take place Monday in Chicago. The White Sox made a high school player their top pick for the first time since 2001, when right-handed pitcher Kris Honel was taken out of Providence Catholic High School in New Lenox, Ill.

Hawkins batted .437 with 11 home runs, 39 RBIs, 56 runs scored, 17 stolen bases, a .580 on-base and .874 slugging percentage in 36 games with the Tigers this season. He also posted a 5-2 record with a 0.96 ERA, 57 strikeouts over 36 1/3 innings and had a velocity ranging from 92-96 mph when he pitched Carroll to a regional championship. But Hawkins' future is in the outfield.

"It has been amazing," said Hawkins during a conference call after he was selected one week ago. "Knowing you are one of best 13 in the country -- it feels pretty good."

Earlier on Wednesday, Hawkins tweeted, "Chi town bound MONDAY awhhhhhh yea lets do this!!!!!!!!"

That tweet was followed by hashtags with "pumped up" and "excited." It's a safe bet that Hawkins won't be doing any of his patented back flips in celebration, a move quickly squelched by White Sox general manager Ken Williams after Hawkins executed one while wearing a suit on Draft night. But throwing out the first pitch before Monday or Tuesday's game against the Cubs at U.S. Cellular Field could be an opportunity to represent his move into professional baseball.

http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...TCLID=205438806

Baseball's Cal Bowling Inks Contract with White Sox

Updated: June 14, 2012 - 08:11 a.m. (ET)

by Ball State Athletics

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on myspace Share on google Share on facebook Share on twitter

RSS

Printer Friendly View

Send this article to a friend

Cal Bowling, a senior member of Ball State's 2012 baseball team, has signed a free agent contract with Major League Baseball's Chicago White Sox.

Bowling will report to Montana to pitch for the Great Falls Voyagers, a Rookie League affiliate of the White Sox.

As a senior, Bowling appeared in 14 games, including 10 weekend starts for the Cardinals. He posted a 4-3 record with a 3.99 earned run average in a team-high 76.2 innings despite missing a month due to a hand injury. Bowling struck out a team and career high 74 batters, while walking only 19 on the season. He finished fifth in the Mid-American Conference in strikeouts, while his 8.69 strikeouts per nine innings ranked second in the league.

In his career, Bowling managed an 18-12 pitching record with 45 starts and one shutout. He managed a career high 11 strikeouts at Northern Illinois May 19, 2012, and posted five complete games in his career.

http://www.chicagonow.com/white-sox-observ...he-old-players/

Morning notes: New players, better than the old players

By James Fegan, today at 5:45 am

The White Sox have agreed to terms with their backflipping 1st round pick OF Courtney Hawkins for the full bonus allotment for his draft slot. The deal is not official until Hawkins passes his physical, which might explain why Courtney tweeted this:

For the record I have not signed any type of paper work or anything I have no clue were this comming from lol #outyallsloop

— Courtney Hawkins (@CHawkins10) June 13, 2012

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2012/jun/...ter-ar-1986821/

APPY LEAGUE: Former QB Mustain on BriSox roster

By: Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier

Published: June 14, 2012

There will be several highly touted draft picks playing for the Bristol White Sox this summer, but a former Southeastern Conference football star might be the marquee attraction.

Mitch Mustain, the ex-quarterback at the University of Arkansas and University of Southern California, will begin his professional baseball career this summer as a relief pitcher for the BriSox.

A preliminary roster was released by the rookie-league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday with Mustain the most recognizable name.

In an area that loves SEC football, Mustain will likely be a fan favorite.

“Mitch should be a great asset to the team,” said Bristol White Sox President Mahlon Luttrell. “It is a treat to have this kind of talent to be coming to Bristol. Obviously he has great athletic abilities. … He should bring lots of excitement this summer.”

A 24-year-old right-hander who hasn’t played baseball since high school, Mustain’s journey to Bristol has been long, odd and well-chronicled.

As a senior at Springdale (Ark.) High School in 2005, Mustain was the most highly sought after prep QB prospect in the country. He led his team, which was coached by offensive guru Gus Malzahn, to a state championship as a senior amidst much acclaim and scrutiny.

His final season of high school, when he was the recipient of the USA Today prep player of the year, was actually chronicled in a book written by Kurt Voight titled “The Year of the Dog: One Year, One Team, One Goal.”

Mustain signed with his hometown Arkansas Razorbacks and never quite lived up to the hype, eventually transferring to Southern Cal.

With his football days now behind him, Mustain hooked on with the Chicago organization in February and boasts a fastball in the mid to upper-90 mile per hour range according to some scouting reports.

Bristol’s players arrive in town on Saturday with “Meet the Sox” set for Sunday at DeVault Stadium. The season-opener is June 19 at home against the Bluefield Blue Jays.

Here are some other guys that will likely be on the roster come opening night:

>>> Outfielder Courtney Hawkins, the 13th overall selection in the MLB Amateur Draft out of Carroll High School in Corpus Christi, Texas, will likely be ticketed for Bristol. He signed with the White Sox on Wednesday, receiving a $2.475 million signing bonus.

The last time Chicago’s top pick played in Bristol was in 2001, when pitcher Kris Honel spent the summer with the BriSox.

First baseman Keon Barnum, taken 48th overall by the Sox out of King High School in Florida, will also be in Bristol.

>>> Five guys who played for the BriSox in 2011 will be back.

Pitchers Jake Cose, Todd Kibby, Timothy Kiley and Euclides Leyer and outfielder Cory Farris are familiar faces.

>>>> Salvador Sanchez was one of Bristol’s best players in 2005, a smooth-swinging outfielder that led the team with 14 stolen bases and blasted a walk-off home run in an opening night win over the Greeneville Astros.

Seven years later Sanchez will be back in Bristol, only this time doing his work on the mound. After getting as high as the Class AA level as a position player, Sanchez made the transition from hitter to pitcher last summer.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/j...igns-white-sox/

Hudelson signs with White Sox

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Former Hickman and Missouri right-handed pitcher James Hudelson signed a minor league contract with the Chicago White Sox yesterday.

Hudelson, 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, was picked by the White Sox in the 28th round (861st overall) of the Major League Baseball draft on June 6.

Hudelson is expected to start with a Rookie League team — either the Bristol, Va., White Sox in the Appalachian League or the Great Falls, Mont., Voyagers in the Pioneer League.

Barrazza now a confirmed signee

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3239315.story

By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

10:30 a.m. CDT, June 14, 2012

ST. LOUIS - The Chicago White Sox have now signed 10 of their top 11 picks from the June amateur draft after the signing of seventh round pick Jose Barrazza.

Barrazza left Thursday morning for Glendale, Ariz., for the Sox's mini-camp after graduating from Sunnyside High School in Fresno, Calif., on Wednesday, coach Jeff Prieto confirmed in an email.

Barrazza, a catcher, was considered a late bloomer. Prieto credited Sox area scout Adam Virchis with closely following Barrazza's ascent this season.

The only remaining unsigned player among the Sox's top 11 picks is sixth round pick Kyle Hansen, a pitcher from St. John's. Hansen completed his junior season last weekend in the NCAA Super Regional at Tucson.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Going as expected. The White Sox weren't going to let any of these picks from the first 10 rounds to go unsigned under the new rules. Hansen was always going to be last because his college season just recently ended.

Any idea how much bonus money they have left for going after someone like Ayala?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Any idea how much bonus money they have left for going after someone like Ayala?

Barnum signed for a bit under slot, but I doubt it's enough for Ayala. It's impossible to say without knowing the bonuses of the top 11 picks since that sets how much they have left. I'd guess 200-300k.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Barnum signed for a bit under slot, but I doubt it's enough for Ayala. It's impossible to say without knowing the bonuses of the top 11 picks since that sets how much they have left. I'd guess 200-300k.

That is more what I was wondering, how much we have spent, so we know how much is left.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
Pretty sure one scouting site compared him to a young Juan Gonzalez at one point as well

If he was actually the age he was supposed to be when he was signed, then that might have been a reasonable development path.

Jon Savarise, 31st round pick, going to NIU.

Living out the dream will have to wait, however. A couple of days after being drafted, Savarise gave a verbal commitment to Northern Illinois University, which recruited him to pitch.

“I know my parents wanted me to go to school, first,” Savarise said. “I don’t think they would have let me (sign a professional contract). It was very tempting, obviously, because it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

So it’s off to DeKalb for the Lincolnshire resident, who played varsity baseball for Loyola Academy as a sophomore and junior before transferring to Stevenson, where this spring he earned honorable mention All-North Suburban Conference honors and helped the Patriots win 23 games and a regional title.

College baseball players are draft-eligible following their junior year.

“I had no idea I was going to be drafted, so that was really cool,” Savarise said. “I’m hoping to get better through college and then get drafted higher up in an earlier round maybe later … I did want to go to college first so it was a pretty easy decision.”

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
He wasn't even first-team all-conference. The poor kid thinks he is an actual pro prospect by some of those quotes.

I don't know the first thing about this kid, but all-conference teams tend to be 50% BS

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 11:21 PM)
I don't know the first thing about this kid, but all-conference teams tend to be 50% BS

If you're a pro prospect you'd make all-conference in the Chicago area. I can promise that.