Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
I think the Red Sox throw that out there to try to get others involved. I still think Pittsburgh and Arizona are possibilites since the cost shouldn't be much. I think all offers being the same, they would prefer to have Youkilis on a team that is not an AL playoff contender just in case he rediscovers his performance.

Arizona is apparently out of the running. Pittsburgh doesnt want to take his money and give up a decent prospect.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Pirates Beat Writer:

#Pirates won't give up front-line prospect (Taillon, Cole, Marte) for Youkillis. Might offer 2nd-tier guy if they get lots of cash in deal

If any team is really contemplating giving up a top prospect or taking on much cash, they need a new front office. Boston has to get rid of him before they have to release him. I don't think any team can be that dumb. I'm sure anything they have been offered is fairly similar. Willing to take his money or a big portion of it or willing to give a top prospect, and this deal would have already been done.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
^^^well thats just silly. Ofcourse they wont have to give up a top prospect. No one will unless there are more pieces to the deal.

That's one possibility, that's its just a piece to a larger move. Considering the Red Sox had scouts at White Sox games last week, although it may have just been advanced scouts but they don't play each other for almost a month so that wouldn't make much sense, the more it seems probable its at least been discussed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
I think the Red Sox throw that out there to try to get others involved. I still think Pittsburgh and Arizona are possibilites since the cost shouldn't be much. I think all offers being the same, they would prefer to have Youkilis on a team that is not an AL playoff contender just in case he rediscovers his performance.

I'd love the Sox to upgrade wherever they can, and even bad Youk is probably an upgrade at 3b, but I won't be bummed out if he winds up somewhere else.

The one thing that might give the White Sox an edge is that we have some interesting relievers at AAA who might be able to help this season. I'm not sure other teams have or would be willing to give up a player that could be in the major league mix for Youkilis.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
If any team is really contemplating giving up a top prospect or taking on much cash, they need a new front office. Boston has to get rid of him before they have to release him. I don't think any team can be that dumb. I'm sure anything they have been offered is fairly similar. Willing to take his money or a big portion of it or willing to give a top prospect, and this deal would have already been done.

This is why I don't trust beat writers....they have no concept of what the team is doing, and not enough common sense to understand the business of baseball.

Makes you wonder how they get these jobs, to be honest.

I've got to agree with most of you guys, I am not going to shun the Greek God if he comes here, but I wouldn't give up anything I have a damn about to get him, even if they paid his entire salary and covered the $1M buyout next year.

I'd like to give them Lilli just to give him a chance to play again where someone might appreciate him, but the selfish side of me thinks even Lilli might be more valuable to this team.

Youk is a broken-player who's shown nothing all year outside of a few weeks. I don't think his career is necessarily over, but this is one of those moves that has "he's not going to give you anything this year" written all over it.

I hate to sound like Rongey here, but as long as we get someone who can catch the ball over there at third, we that hitter should not make or break our lineup. We've got plenty of hitters, unless we're going to have to deal with PK being out for a bit and Viciedo's extended struggles...but assuming they both start hitting again soon, we've got more than enough offense.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Phil Rogers believes it will be Thornton or Crain for Youk.

Jesus that would be a losing deal at this point. I'd rather send Thornton out of the two but we're talking about a productive reliever for a guy that *might* produce and hasn't proved to anyone that he's healthy.

Phil Rogers has been floating the Thornton idea for a while now so I'm not sure if he's just sticking to his guns or what.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
lol at this point I think bucket-of-suck is our best resource by quite a bit

Rogers is seriously one of the laziest reporters I have read in a long time. Even on CTL, he comes off as unprepared and just throwing s*** at the wall.

On "Who you crappin" someone got "Crap of the Week" for his MLB Draft predictions:

In Monday’s Tribune, baseball guru Phil Rogers offered his assessment of the Cubs and White Sox respective needs and how they planned to fill them through the draft. For the Cubs, Rogers identified the primary area of need as ‘pitching depth.’ He then predicted that, in order to fill that need, the Cubs would selected either outfielder Albert Almora or shortstop Carlos Correa. For the White Sox, Rogers identified the primary area of need as ‘impact/power hitting.’ To fill that need, Rogers predicted the Sox would select either pitcher Michael Wacha or pitcher Matt Smoral. So, let’s get this straight: To fill a need for pitching depth, the Cubs will select either an outfielder or a shortstop. In order to fill a need for hitting, the White Sox will select a pitcher. Phil Rogers, who ya crappin’?

This fresh start crap that many are hoping will prompt Youkilis to be the player he was before he was hurt reminds me of the same hope we had when Robbie Alomar came from the Mets. Fresh start, out of NY, with his brother...Youk's problems aren't in his head, they are all over his body. Please don't overpay.

There are very few prospects I'd be upset with KW if he traded to get Youkilis in order to get the Red Sox to pay for most of his remaining deal. I do think Youkilis would be a big offensive upgrade over Hudson, so the only players I don't want to see get traded of our young "prospects" are:

- Viciedo

- Reed

- Jones

- Mitchell

- Castro

- Danks

- Quintana

- Sanchez

Anyone else, and I won't be upset if they allowed Youkilis to basically be a 1-2 million dollar rental for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Rogers is seriously one of the laziest reporters I have read in a long time. Even on CTL, he comes off as unprepared and just throwing s*** at the wall.

On "Who you crappin" someone got "Crap of the Week" for his MLB Draft predictions:

Not to defend Rogers, but I think that crap was a bit unfair. All he predicted was the 1st round picks and quite frankly you should be drafting the best player available at that point. This is one of the reasons I hate B&B, as they love piling on things they hate, even when it's not exactly appropriate or true.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
Not to defend Rogers, but I think that crap was a bit unfair. All he predicted was the 1st round picks and quite frankly you should be drafting the best player available at that point. This is one of the reasons I hate B&B, as they love piling on things they hate, even when it's not exactly appropriate or true.

x 1,000,000,000

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
If it costs no more or just slightly more than what it would cost to bring in a recently released player, giving Youkilis a shot is worth it. Anything that costs the Sox significant money or significant prospects for Youkilis would be awful.

I'd be OK with picking up about half of the contract for a nothing prospect. Any more than that, I start Escobar for while.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
Haha everyone blowing up Beckhams Twitter talking about how he must have just broke news about Youkilis & just ignoring what his gf tweeted tho lol

Heading to @YolkChicago with @gordonbeckham...@ashleygusich you working??

Clears that up

That is awesome. I bet he is laughing his ass off right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
I'd be OK with picking up about half of the contract for a nothing prospect. Any more than that, I start Escobar for while.

Not to open up the whole "finances" talk again, but I have no problem with the Sox taking on a few million for Youkilis....as long as it wouldn't prevent other deals this year. KW probably wants to go for it now and give himself until the end of July to see if they should become sellers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Not to open up the whole "finances" talk again, but I have no problem with the Sox taking on a few million for Youkilis....as long as it wouldn't prevent other deals this year. KW probably wants to go for it now and give himself until the end of July to see if they should become sellers.

Judging by the time of season, Youk would have about $6.8 mil left on this year, plus another million for the buyout of 2013.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Judging by the time of season, Youk would have about $6.8 mil left on this year, plus another million for the buyout of 2013.

So if they pay for 2-3 million of that and don't give up anything of substance from the minors, that's fine with me.