THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Quin

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
We would have won, and likely swept, the series if we had left our rotation alone. Instead we decided to audition a failed mop-up guy, effectively conceding the first game and giving the hapless Cubs hope and momentum. I understand the need for extra rest, but not during this series, which is so important to the fans. And especially when you're trying to find ways to get fans to the park.

And yes, fans do care about beating the Cubs, even if it's in vogue for "serious" fans on both sides of town to try to outdo each other in professing how little they care about the series.

I would concede the first game. Stewart was throwing meatballs and their batters didn't miss them. The second game pissed me off because of the superb performance by Peavy. There was a story written about how Wood outpitched Peavy and how he was terrific. The Sox lost that game because the Sox hitters couldn't hit a mediocre pitcher. Wood did everything in his power to give the game away in the 2nd, and the Sox said no thanks.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
But at least it exposed our problems and forced us to deal with them. I felt like this series was an audition for guys like Stewart and Floyd. Floyd passed, Stewart failed. Now at least we won't have to see Stewart any more. Not starting and not out of the pen. Less problems to deal with in the future.

Agreed. I suggested Ax for Stew a few weeks ago, not that I'm real high on him or anything, and (after a little more pain) now it's a reality.

Not quite sure who's on deck if Ax can't get it done either, but that's the proverbial bridge we'll cross when we get to it. Unless he changes something in his arsenal/delivery (and AAA is the place for this to happen), I can't see ZS as a major leaguer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
We tinkered with the rotation to save Chris Sale's arm. How is this hard to understand? It was a short term loss, long term gain decision.

And Peavy's. I'd rather lose a game now, than have either of them fall apart and get hurt.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
...giving the hapless Cubs hope and momentum.

Ehh...for what? A last place finish and 20 games out of first rather than a last place finish and 21.5 games out of first? The City Series as a rivalry was effectively ended by the Sox in 2005, and that was further cemented by the trash that Cubs fans threw at their field one sunny Saturday in July, 2006. Now it's little more than a nuisance if the Sox fail to take advantage of a consistently awful team, and the biggest storyline for two years straight is that the ballparks aren't filled to capacity.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
Now this team needs to shake it out and get the funk off them and rattle off 3 or 4 in a row.

Hopefully this is the start of a nice Gavin run of dominance we know he's capable of.

If the Sox alternate good and bad months they could still win the division with how s***ty it is. April: Bad. May: Good. June: Bad. July: Good. August: Bad. September: Good. Haha

That would be the only way this team could make the playoffs cause a run like that all season would drive us fans f***ing bonkers haha

Wouldn't that mean October: Bad ? I'd hope they break that up a bit. :)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
FWIW, from @Scottmerkin

De Aza said that he definitely felt Corpas hit him intentionally to open the eighth. It seemed pretty obvious.

De Aza also said he's friends with Corpas so it wasn't anything De Aza did.

When asked what he could do in that situation, De Aza smiled and said, "wear it."

You had to wear it, DeAza, but your pitchers should have retaliated for you. It's bulls*** to let the Cubs nearly end Paulie's career and hit DeAza. The fact the Sox weren't still so pissed about Paulie to win the series tells me a lot about this team. It's going nowhere.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
We would have won, and likely swept, the series if we had left our rotation alone. Instead we decided to audition a failed mop-up guy, effectively conceding the first game and giving the hapless Cubs hope and momentum. I understand the need for extra rest, but not during this series, which is so important to the fans. And especially when you're trying to find ways to get fans to the park.

And yes, fans do care about beating the Cubs, even if it's in vogue for "serious" fans on both sides of town to try to outdo each other in professing how little they care about the series.

Great great post. Pitching Stewart was an insult to every Sox fan alive. ANYBODY BUT ZACH is my motto.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
You had to wear it, DeAza, but your pitchers should have retaliated for you. It's bulls*** to let the Cubs nearly end Paulie's career and hit DeAza. The fact the Sox weren't still so pissed about Paulie to win the series tells me a lot about this team. It's going nowhere.

Great great post. Pitching Stewart was an insult to every Sox fan alive. ANYBODY BUT ZACH is my motto.

That was not even close to ending Paulie's career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
And on the third day he rose again...

NEVER FORGET!

Anytime a pitch hits you in the face it is "close" to ending your career.

Sox didn't care and let them plunk another Sox, the likeable De Aza. WTF? Team loses 2 of 3 and one of them with Zach Stewart on the mound. In the opener?? Thanks for just serving it up there on a tee for the lousy Cubs to steal momentum.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
We tinkered with the rotation to save Chris Sale's arm. How is this hard to understand? It was a short term loss, long term gain decision.

It's not "hard to understand." Which is probably why I wrote the words "I understand the need for extra rest" in my post. But you can choose when you use a spot starter, and I would have preferred that they not choose this particular series.

I watched the game last night and Peavy's great game on Tuesday. Last night I was abit worried in the 1st inning, but Gavin got out of it and then that curve started to work and he had a good fastball. I hope this means he builds some confidence from that game and starts on another streak.

You have to tinker with the rotation once in awhile to give people a rest so they can stay somewhat fresh. Cubs or any team we face doesn't matter. I think it was a good move. Stewart didn't have it and I wasn't sure he was going to make it anyway, but he is who we had. I am pretty certain he didn't try yo lose, but he just hasn't been sharp many times this season.

I am not certain De Aza was hit on purpose, but if he was that's baseball. We won and that is real good payback IMO

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Anytime a pitch hits you in the face it is "close" to ending your career.

Sox didn't care and let them plunk another Sox, the likeable De Aza. WTF? Team loses 2 of 3 and one of them with Zach Stewart on the mound. In the opener?? Thanks for just serving it up there on a tee for the lousy Cubs to steal momentum.

yep. momentum. in baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)

You try way too hard to be disliked

No one considers the fact that perhaps Chris's arm may have been bothering him, leaving our hands tied as to when we could start Stewart? He's been a relief pitcher and hasn't thrown more than 3 innings all year. It shouldn't have been surprising to see him fall apart in the fourth and fifth innings. It's hard to switch to the bullpen and takes time, physically, to be ready to start. We had to take a chance because we just didn't have a fresh bullpen and I'm guessing Chris forced our hand to get extra time off. It was still a winnable ballgame when he left the game, be mad at the bullpen that we got blown out.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
No one considers the fact that perhaps Chris's arm may have been bothering him, leaving our hands tied as to when we could start Stewart? He's been a relief pitcher and hasn't thrown more than 3 innings all year. It shouldn't have been surprising to see him fall apart in the fourth and fifth innings. It's hard to switch to the bullpen and takes time, physically, to be ready to start. We had to take a chance because we just didn't have a fresh bullpen and I'm guessing Chris forced our hand to get extra time off. It was still a winnable ballgame when he left the game, be mad at the bullpen that we got blown out.

Everyone considers that except one person.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)

If it involves prolonging the Jake Peavy and Chris Sale Experiences, I am all for taking a lumps every once in a while.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
Everyone considers that except one person.

Yes, when you put that imaginary "fact" into the equation, it changes everything, as imaginary facts often do. I think the discussion thus far has been based on facts that are actually known to be true, though.