What bullpen guys should KW go after?

SOXOBAMA

We've 6 rookies in the bullpen, I have faith in about half of them for the pennant chase. I was wondering what guys might KW go after for the 2nd half of the season.

One of my choices would be Brandon League

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
Fuentes is another guy that KW has had his eye on for a while, would not be shocked to see KW take a flier on him.

You can't teach left-handedness (unless they're young. :P). Fuentes might be worth AAA with an mlb deal to work on his mechanics.

Do we need to?

No. Unless you are getting a legit closer type (not guys like League), you end up overpaying for middle-relief guys whose performances are highly variable.

Our new guys pass the eye test (i.e., have good stuff) and have good minor league numbers. They're ready, they just need an opportunity.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
Raul Valdes of the Phillies. 34 years old. .823 WHIP, 10.7 K per 9 and 1.7 walks per 9 . Phillies aren't contending and given his age might be willing to part with him. Another LH and Cuban.

We need a RH set up man more than anything.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I do as well, but young guys tend to tire out sooner than vets because of the long schedule. Especially if the Sox make the playoffs.

Regardless of who's coaching them or their makeup...I'd worry just as much about them cracking under playoff strain. Leyson Septimo had some great looking stuff, but I'm not sure I want him coming in to face Josh Hamilton in the 6th inning of a 1-1 game with the bases loaded in mid-October just yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Regardless of who's coaching them or their makeup...I'd worry just as much about them cracking under playoff strain. Leyson Septimo had some great looking stuff, but I'm not sure I want him coming in to face Josh Hamilton in the 6th inning of a 1-1 game with the bases loaded in mid-October just yet.

Veteran relievers crack under playoff pressure all the time, too.

Unless KW can pull off the equivalent of Lillibridge+Stewart for Cole Hamels, I think the Sox should stand pat at this point.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Crain comes back OK. And if John Danks gets healthy, Humber becomes a pretty good RH arm in the pen, given that there's no way Quintana's not staying in the rotation. I'm guessing as long as things go OK with the kids we've got, KW will stand pat for now rather than give up good prospects for middle relief.