southsider2k5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
A. The person you just described is better than Humber.

B. Danks had 3 seasons of a mid-3s ERA and 1.2 WHIP which is better than Humber has ever been.

A. Yeah, probably. If I had to pick I'd put him in the rotation over Humber. I wasn't really intending on turning this into an argument - it was just a "our rotation's really good" flippant kind of comment that y'all have gotten up in arms about.

B. when he was 24-26. Peak years for a pitcher. But even in those years his SIERA was much higher than his ERA. Last year it was a bit lower, but it evens out to a 3.80-4.30 ERA with a 1.28-1.35 WHIP. Definitely useful, but not quite what a lot of us hoped Danks would be. That said, he's an awesome 3rd or 4th starter.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
A. Yeah, probably. If I had to pick I'd put him in the rotation over Humber. I wasn't really intending on turning this into an argument - it was just a "our rotation's really good" flippant kind of comment that y'all have gotten up in arms about.

B. when he was 24-26. Peak years for a pitcher. But even in those years his SIERA was much higher than his ERA. Last year it was a bit lower, but it evens out to a 3.80-4.30 ERA with a 1.28-1.35 WHIP. Definitely useful, but not quite what a lot of us hoped Danks would be. That said, he's an awesome 3rd or 4th starter.

Good enough for me.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)

A lot of pitchers don't even get into the bigs until 23-24 I have a hard time believing those would be the peak years... have any stats to back that up?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
A lot of pitchers don't even get into the bigs until 23-24 I have a hard time believing those would be the peak years... have any stats to back that up?

and those pitchers who dont break in till 24, 25 etc usually aren't as good as those that break in at 20.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=10095

Like hitters, pitchers generally debuted between ages 23-27

The most common age of exit in this sample was 27, much like the hitters.

Exit, in this case, meaning either no longer playing or transitioned from starter into reliever.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
That was very, very impressive.

Yes

An ass kicking, a come from behind walf off win a pitcher's duel win against the best team in the AL...Sox are for real.

All the media is talking about is Youkilis, lol. I just find it funny that even when the White Sox win, the media never talks about us, the narrative is all about how this Red Sox guy came in on his white horse and saved us...

I suppose I should just be happy we won.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
All the media is talking about is Youkilis, lol. I just find it funny that even when the White Sox win, the media never talks about us, the narrative is all about how this Red Sox guy came in on his white horse and saved us...

I suppose I should just be happy we won.

The last few games, he has saved us (with help from others, of course).

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
He's been fantastic. A smart vet is just what we needed at the plate.

I know people had doubts about his health but KW gets credit for making great decisions all season so far

It's amazing how a G.M. looks so much better when the players actually play well.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Is there seriously a discussion going on here about contemplating over Humber and Danks, really? Screw that, amazing sweep, greating pitching performance by Quintana! And a big time homerun by Youkilis yet again.

Exactly, that kind of discussion is insane. Humber needs to just go away.

Wow Q knows how to pitch.

Youk is the type of acquisition that can make series sweeps like this possible. He's another badass veteran to go with Paulie and AJ. Nice sweep and the team is hot at home right now. Awesome.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
and those pitchers who dont break in till 24, 25 etc usually aren't as good as those that break in at 20.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=10095

Exit, in this case, meaning either no longer playing or transitioned from starter into reliever.

Well no s*** the guys make the majors at 20 are usually more talented than the ones who make the bigs at 24. The question was where are your stats to show the prime years of a pitcher are 24-26?

Yaa Flowers hasn't done too well at the plate but what goes unnoticed is how well he handles the pitching staff whenever he is called upon. He deserves a bit of the credit as well for how well Quintana threw today against arguably the top offensive club in the league. The game calling was excellent today.

Edited by kapzk

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Well no s*** the guys make the majors at 20 are usually more talented than the ones who make the bigs at 24. The question was where are your stats to show the prime years of a pitcher are 24-26?

i already gave them to you. read the friggin article. lol