Will the Royals ever be good?

kitekrazy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I wonder what would have happened had Mike Anderson or Haith been there at the event and been booed?

Would the fans have been accused of being racist? Or just hating Mizzou, the 50% of fans who go across the state line on I-435 from Johnson County (KS) to attend games?

Self is a dick, if you're a fan of another team, just like AJ is, or John Calipari, or 50% of the golfers on the PGA tour.

But, trying to think of a similar situation, I don't think I'd boo Bruce Weber or Bo Ryan ever as an Iowa fan. Maybe Lou Henson/Jimmy Collins, lol.

So it's 50% the rivalry, 50% being a dick. Need both to qualify for a full boo.

Well, because my dad's side of the family basically mocked anyone in the family who didn't go to U of I, I've always had a healthy distaste for U of I. So I didn't like Self from his days there.

But, I never really "hated" Kansas, so while I loved the rivalry, I could respect/like their players (aside from Tyshawn Taylor. I can't stand him). But Self ended the Border Showdown, so it more or less just added fuel to the fire for my dislike of him.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
It has to suck the be a K.C. fan. What do they look forward to every season? "Hey maybe we'll crack 75 wins this season".

I hear their farms systems are good. Somewhere that should translate someday to them being good.

Tampa was the same way, no one really thought they'd ever be good. then they got good. It's all about smart drafting and management.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Probably because

1) Self is a dick

2) It was ultimately his decision to end the Border Showdown. Mizzou wanted to continue it, he didn't.

And for reference, I've always hated Self, before I went to Mizzou.

Self is not a dick. I've never heard one person say that. I've met the guy and have lived here a while and he's not close to being a dick. As far as ending the Border Showdown, why in the hell would Kansas keep playing Missouri in sports when Missouri left the league and for a brief period put the future of KU football and basketball in the Mountain West Conference. It would have sorted itself out and KU would have landed in one of the new 16-league megaconferences that are coming.

The Missouri fans who want to keep playing Kansas are delusional. You can't have it both ways. If you want a new conference, the SEC (MU actually wanted to go to the Big Ten and the Big Ten laughed at them), then you get the SEC. You don't get the remnants of your former league.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Self is not a dick. I've never heard one person say that. I've met the guy and have lived here a while and he's not close to being a dick. As far as ending the Border Showdown, why in the hell would Kansas keep playing Missouri in sports when Missouri left the league and for a brief period put the future of KU football and basketball in the Mountain West Conference. It would have sorted itself out and KU would have landed in one of the new 16-league megaconferences that are coming.

The Missouri fans who want to keep playing Kansas are delusional. You can't have it both ways. If you want a new conference, the SEC (MU actually wanted to go to the Big Ten and the Big Ten laughed at them), then you get the SEC. You don't get the remnants of your former league.

I wanted Big 10 with KU coming with.

And KU wouls be left out of any megaconference. Football is too atrocious.

And Self comes off as a dick to me. You knowing him changes nothin about my opinion of him based off his public actions.

And don't talk about delusion when you're the most delusional poster on this board. KU didn't want to continue the rivalry becase when considering all sports, it's been hilariously one sided recently.

And KU fans are just as classesless as Mizzou ones (and all fanbases). When we played in Lawrence a spectator called three of my players whores. For Quidditch. Do you understand how stupid that is?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Tampa was the same way, no one really thought they'd ever be good. then they got good. It's all about smart drafting and management.

well, you have to throw in there some "luck" for lack of a better term. Guys need to stay healthy and develop at the right/similar time for any team looking to do it on a shoe string budget developing from the minors up. A team like the Cubs will have a little more leeway since ultimately they can fill in a few gaps with $$ (Theo and Boston obviously used smart management and drafting in Boston, but they also had two steroid fueled monsters that helped them A LOT, one that "they", I believe it was the previous regime, got in FA for a hefty price).

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/814725...ic-run-futility

Good story about how KC is struggling with a low-budget/prospect model. (Article does note that it can all turn around next year, but dealing with the here and now).

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/814725...ic-run-futility

Good story about how KC is struggling with a low-budget/prospect model. (Article does note that it can all turn around next year, but dealing with the here and now).

Interesting article on the greatest farm system in the history of baseball. Pretty cool White Sox tidbit:

Christian Colon (no. 51) was the fourth overall pick in the 2010 draft, and so made the Top Prospects List almost by default — the top 10 picks in a draft almost always rank as top prospects the following spring, before their weaknesses have been identified and exploited. In Colon's case, his weakness appears to be that he isn't very good. He's a shortstop without a shortstop's range, and he's repeating Double-A this year because he struggled with the bat last season. He was hitting .290/.369/.407 before going on the DL with a toe injury, and while the Royals still think he'll be their second baseman of the future, most scouts peg him more as a super-utility player.

Pouring salt on the wound is that back in 2010, the Royals were rumored to select yet another left-handed pitcher with that pick, only to change their minds hours before the draft because they felt that Colon would agree to their financial terms. The left-hander they would have taken instead: Chris Sale, who has been the best left-handed starter in the league this year, for the AL Central–leading Chicago White Sox, who drafted him 13th.

I watched Colon play in college a lot and he was a darn good player and a very headsy guy. Reminded me a lot of an Orlando Cabrera type ball player, but no way was he worthy of being the #4 pick in the draft. All that said, the Royals wouldn't be the only team who missed on him as he was a consensus top 20 pick.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
I wanted Big 10 with KU coming with.

KU is happy being in the Big 12. Lotta money to be made now.

And KU wouls be left out of any megaconference. Football is too atrocious.

Not if there are going to be four 16-team megaconferences; KU woulda been fine.

And Self comes off as a dick to me. You knowing him changes nothin about my opinion of him based off his public actions.

Trust me. He's not a dick.

And don't talk about delusion when you're the most delusional poster on this board. KU didn't want to continue the rivalry becase when considering all sports, it's been hilariously one sided recently.

KU sucks in everything except men's basketball. KU fans only care about men's basketball. MU is too tough a nonconference game in football for KU to play when you only have 3 noncon games. As far as basketball, see my previous reason for KU not playing MU. Can't support an opponent that put the whole future of the Big 12 in jeopardy.

And KU fans are just as classesless as Mizzou ones (and all fanbases). When we played in Lawrence a spectator called three of my players whores. For Quidditch. Do you understand how stupid that is?

That is true. I went to the KU-MU hoops game at Mizzou two seasons ago when KU happened to win. Some grandfather and his grandkid were standing up taunting MU fans, acting like complete f***brains. The MU fans didn't do anything when I wouldn't have been surprised or pissed if somebody knocked grandpa's block off.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
That is true. I went to the KU-MU hoops game at Mizzou two seasons ago when KU happened to win. Some grandfather and his grandkid were standing up taunting MU fans, acting like complete f***brains. The MU fans didn't do anything when I wouldn't have been surprised or pissed if somebody knocked grandpa's block off.

At least we agree on this. I told my KU friends when they play at Mizzou next year, I'm throwing out any spectators that say any unreasonable things.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:14 AM)
At least we agree on this. I told my KU friends when they play at Mizzou next year, I'm throwing out any spectators that say any unreasonable things.

Don't get your post. You obviously know they aren't playing anymore.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Don't get your post. You obviously know they aren't playing anymore.

Their Quidditch team. When said "we play next year" I mean me and my team actually playing them.

I know, a sport based off Harry Potter, but with tackling and everything it still takes some athleticism.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:10 AM)
Their Quidditch team. When said "we play next year" I mean me and my team actually playing them.

I know, a sport based off Harry Potter, but with tackling and everything it still takes some athleticism.

Oh, OK. I get it now.

KU fans shouted s*** at a Quidditch match? Geez.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
Oh, OK. I get it now.

KU fans shouted s*** at a Quidditch match? Geez.

Yeah, it was ridiculous.

I love their team though. One was a guest on my podcast. Another brought me water after we thought I had a concussion at the Midwest Cup.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
2) It was ultimately his decision to end the Border Showdown. Mizzou wanted to continue it, he didn't.

No.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)

Bill Self is 16-4 against Mizzou. Why would he want to stop playing them?

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
No.

Yes.

"Why wouldn't you want to keep it going," Missouri athletic director Mike Alden told me shortly after watching his team squander what seemed like an insurmountable lead.

"There's no reason."

"The next coach may play [Missouri]," Self said. "The next president, the next A.D. may force me to play."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...ept-realignment

And it's because he said there's nothing to gain, seeing as it has no effect on Big 12 standings. But then why bother playing Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, and Ohio State?

He's just bitter.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:10 AM)
No.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
Yes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...ept-realignment

And it's because he said there's nothing to gain, seeing as it has no effect on Big 12 standings. But then why bother playing Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, and Ohio State?

He's just bitter.

Bitter about what? He's bitter about Missouri leaving the Big 12 and putting KU, K-State, Iowa State at risk for a few weeks of being left out of the BCS.

Why would the teams agree to play once a year out of conference in basketball? If KU wins in Lawrence, which it would, MU gets no chance for a rematch. If MU wins in Columbia, KU gets no chance at a rematch. Out of conference it's NOT THE SAME.

Game at Sprint Center? Stupid.

Missouri wants to play KU. Then MU shoulda stayed in the league. They'd have played plenty.

The teams need to never play again (cept in NCAAs which CBS will make sure happens plenty). There's no reason to play one basketball game per season.

Football? MU would win 4 of every five games. So why would KU want to do that??

Even MU fans don't care about mopping up on a bad Kansas team. They proved that with lousy attendance at Arrowhead last year. Coulda packed the place if they wanted to mock KU. They didn't.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Bitter about what? He's bitter about Missouri leaving the Big 12 and putting KU, K-State, Iowa State at risk for a few weeks of being left out of the BCS.

Why would the teams agree to play once a year out of conference in basketball? If KU wins in Lawrence, which it would, MU gets no chance for a rematch. If MU wins in Columbia, KU gets no chance at a rematch. Out of conference it's NOT THE SAME.

Game at Sprint Center? Stupid.

Missouri wants to play KU. Then MU shoulda stayed in the league. They'd have played plenty.

The teams need to never play again (cept in NCAAs which CBS will make sure happens plenty). There's no reason to play one basketball game per season.

Football? MU would win 4 of every five games. So why would KU want to do that??

Even MU fans don't care about mopping up on a bad Kansas team. They proved that with lousy attendance at Arrowhead last year. Coulda packed the place if they wanted to mock KU. They didn't.

So, what you just told me is Self didn't want to continue it and think that a game at the Sprint Center wouldn't be great. Then why do U of I and Mizzou do fine in St. Louis?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)

wait what?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 03:05 AM)
So, what you just told me is Self didn't want to continue it and think that a game at the Sprint Center wouldn't be great. Then why do U of I and Mizzou do fine in St. Louis?

Notice they killed the football game between U of I and Mizzou. It was too tough a noncon game for both. You got to play patsies in noncon.

As far as basketball, I guess the neutral site thing at Sprint Center might be what they eventually do in 10 years or so when they play again.

Do people actually care much about U of I vs. MU in a neutral site game?

Or is it a thing the media hypes up and it's a yawner. Neutral site games don't do it.

I guess there'd be a lot of fights in the parking lots with KU and MU playing in Sprint.

Edited by greg775