Cali

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
In one word: Wow.

Next person? :headbang

what? you're finally being positive??? hell has frozen over.

that said,

9 over at the allstar break and in first place? I'll take it! lotta fun right now. :)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
what? you're finally being positive??? hell has frozen over.

that said,

9 over at the allstar break and in first place? I'll take it! lotta fun right now. :)

Can't help it. I thought this team might lose 90+ haha

Doesn't mean I wont get frustrated in the 2nd half and turn negative again haha.

The Sox in the past have been a team of differing halves. Let's hope this half was the "bad" one.

I don't know if it's Robin or just NOT Ozzie, but a change in management has done wonders for a lot of players who sucked in 2011.

Edited by Cali

In one word: Entertaining

Constants: PK and Thornton

Welcome Back: Peavy, Rios and Dunn

Pleasant Surprises: AJ, De Aza, and Tank

Youk: Youk

Almost There: Alexei, Beckham, Floyd

Young Guns: Sale, Quintana, Reed, Jones, Santiago, etc

Addition by Subtraction: Ohman, Stewart, Fukudome

Top 5 Games:

1) 2-1 win over Tampa where Sale strikes out 15 and Dunn hits 2 run homer

2) Humber perfect game

3) First game of Yankees series where Viciedo hit 3 run homer in 9th

4) First game vs Cubs this year where Konerko got hit, Beckham homered, Wood retired

5) Tigers game where Dunn homers off of Valverde, Reed era as closer begins

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
Top 5 Games:

2) Humber perfect game

4) First game vs Cubs this year where Konerko got hit, Beckham homered, Wood retired

Outstanding, fathom. I don't know if I have 'em in this order. But this is definitely my top 5 games to this point.

Top 5 Games:

2) Humber perfect game

I'm not sure whether or not there's been 5 games like this in the past 2 years before this year... good list.

Before the season started, my theory was that the team's fortunes rested, more than anything, on the performance of the four horsemen of underachievement: Dunn, Rios, Peavy and Beckham. If 4 of 4 or even 3 of 4 got back to form, this team would compete for the division. 2 of 4, .500 team or a little under. 1 of 4 or none, it would be ugly.

Dunn? Check, full credit.

Rios? Check, full credit.

Peavy? Check, full credit.

Beckham? Call it half credit.

3.5 of 4, and here they sit, atop the AL Central. Loving it.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Why are people talking about Trout for MVP? Hamilton blows him way out of the water.

not even close to true.

Mike Trout has a higher OPS+ than Hamilton.

Hamilton's WAR = 3.3

Trout's WAR = 4.6

Edited by Reddy

Top 5 Games:

2) Humber perfect game

I really enjoyed the 19-2 game against rangers last week. Doesn't beat any of your 5 though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Before the season started, my theory was that the team's fortunes rested, more than anything, on the performance of the four horsemen of underachievement: Dunn, Rios, Peavy and Beckham. If 4 of 4 or even 3 of 4 got back to form, this team would compete for the division. 2 of 4, .500 team or a little under. 1 of 4 or none, it would be ugly.

Dunn? Check, full credit.

Rios? Check, full credit.

Peavy? Check, full credit.

Beckham? Call it half credit.

3.5 of 4, and here they sit, atop the AL Central. Loving it.

I think you're being a little generous to Beckham here.

Hard not to love the team being in first place, though.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
I think you're being a little generous to Beckham here.

Hard not to love the team being in first place, though.

Beckham had a good may and june. July is young. April sucked. He deserves at least half credit.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
Beckham had a good may and june. July is young. April sucked. He deserves at least half credit.

I'm just saying that he's been the same player for the last few seasons: below average offensively, above average defensively. He's basically halfway between his worst full season and his best full season right now. I guess he can get credit for staying the same?

I'm more worried about Paulie. Someone earlier today said they couldn't remember the last time he had a hit that mattered. I agree with that, he's been turrible in the clutch this year.

The Dunn/PK duo is not thrilling my body recently

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm just saying that he's been the same player for the last few seasons: below average offensively, above average defensively. He's basically halfway between his worst full season and his best full season right now. I guess he can get credit for staying the same?

Since May 1st he has been hitting the ball well. Above average. I find that so encouraging that I think he deserves half credit. Its arguable though.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
Since May 1st he has been hitting the ball well. Above average. I find that so encouraging that I think he deserves half credit. Its arguable though.

He's been hitting well since May 1st, but he's also had an OPS of .639 in the last month, which is below average. I'm not saying he's a bad player (or a good player for that matter), but I just don't think he can get credit for turning it around when he's remained largely the same.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 04:08 AM)
He's been hitting well since May 1st, but he's also had an OPS of .639 in the last month, which is below average. I'm not saying he's a bad player (or a good player for that matter), but I just don't think he can get credit for turning it around when he's remained largely the same.

Hitting well is subjective. I think overall, Beckham has looked better as a hitter than he did at any point in the last few years, but overall I tend to agree with you. There's a mini-superstar somewhere in that man's body but it has yet to come out of hiding. I seem to always suggest it, but a bat about 2 inches shorter would do wonders for him, because it seems that his swing is just a little long. That would shorten it up just a bit and all him to get around pitches quite a bit faster. He's 6'0 190 but it looks like he swings about a 36-37 inch bat.