FutureSox Mid-season 2012 Top Prospects List

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked to see Beck higher, but he has to prove it himself.

Just based on potential, in our system, he should be a Top 10 guy. Once they get his muscle mass down and get back to the basics with his mechanics, he should be a better pitching prospect overall than Molina.

Saladino's fallen quite a bit, but there are some obvious reasons which were duly noted. The only way he could be a major league starter is at SS or 2B, definitely not 3B. Needs to rediscover that missing power.

Probably would have had Soptic higher, too.

Some names that didn't make it: Wilkins (struggling average-wise), Heath, Veal, Olacio, Santos Rodriguez, Kenny Williams, Jr. (haha), SS we just signed from DR, Miguel Gonzalez, Jaye or Webb (the two kids we got from the Jays for Frasor)

A lot of people like Hansen and Ayala from this draft.

One other thing that sticks out is how low Quintana and Jones were coming into the season, even here....where these prospects are followed religiously.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Would have liked to see Beck higher, but he has to prove it himself.

Just based on potential, in our system, he should be a Top 10 guy. Once they get his muscle mass down and get back to the basics with his mechanics, he should be a better pitching prospect overall than Molina.

Saladino's fallen quite a bit, but there are some obvious reasons which were duly noted. The only way he could be a major league starter is at SS or 2B, definitely not 3B. Needs to rediscover that missing power.

Probably would have had Soptic higher, too.

Some names that didn't make it: Wilkins (struggling average-wise), Heath, Veal, Olacio, Santos Rodriguez, Kenny Williams, Jr. (haha), SS we just signed from DR, Miguel Gonzalez, Jaye or Webb (the two kids we got from the Jays for Frasor)

A lot of people like Hansen and Ayala from this draft.

One other thing that sticks out is how low Quintana and Jones were coming into the season, even here....where these prospects are followed religiously.

How would anyone have any idea about him? He was a complete unknown because he was only with the org since November

Plus Quintana was unprotected by another team so you can tell the Yankees didn't see him as a top 20 prospect.

As for Jones, he was on the lists for years, but we finally gave up on him just before it all clicked. We may have bailed too early, but he was certainly on the radar for having Major League talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Beck, Soptic, Ayala, and Hansen all make some noise and be higher in the preseason list. Sox system has gotten significantly better as a result of what I believe to be a strong draft, plus a couple trades (even though we could debate the ceilings of Castro/Molina, the reality is they are legitimate top 10 prospects).

Hawkins and Barnum will be interesting as I expect them to have quite a few bumps and bruises along the way (hopefully they ultimately excel). Similar to what we have seen from Thompson, who I refuse to write-off. I still think he's the type of kid who one day it will click. He has a very good head on his shoulders and just a ton of tools. That said, guys fail with a lot of tools every year.

Sickels mentioned only Molina and Sanchez in his "Honorable Mentions" section for his recent top 120 update. So he presumably thinks that Sanchez is the second best Sox prospect (not including this year's draft).

Not making an argument, just thought it was interesting.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Beck, Soptic, Ayala, and Hansen all make some noise and be higher in the preseason list. Sox system has gotten significantly better as a result of what I believe to be a strong draft, plus a couple trades (even though we could debate the ceilings of Castro/Molina, the reality is they are legitimate top 10 prospects).

Hawkins and Barnum will be interesting as I expect them to have quite a few bumps and bruises along the way (hopefully they ultimately excel). Similar to what we have seen from Thompson, who I refuse to write-off. I still think he's the type of kid who one day it will click. He has a very good head on his shoulders and just a ton of tools. That said, guys fail with a lot of tools every year.

I'm really excited about Beck. It will be interesting to see if the Sox changing him back to what he was, brings his stuff back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
How would anyone have any idea about him? He was a complete unknown because he was only with the org since November

Couldn't you say the same thing about the prospects that we acquired in trades during the offseason that were ranked fairly high?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Sickels mentioned only Molina and Sanchez in his "Honorable Mentions" section for his recent top 120 update. So he presumably thinks that Sanchez is the second best Sox prospect (not including this year's draft).

Not making an argument, just thought it was interesting.

We had some discussions on Sanchez. Basically it came down to some people not buying into him because of a lack of power. As a middle infielder you're not looking for much, but it's hard to succeed in the higher levels as a singles only hitter. Regardless, when you factor in his age and level he's having the best season by a White Sox hitting prospect by a mile. It's really not even close.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
We had some discussions on Sanchez. Basically it came down to some people not buying into him because of a lack of power. As a middle infielder you're not looking for much, but it's hard to succeed in the higher levels as a singles only hitter. Regardless, when you factor in his age and level he's having the best season by a White Sox hitting prospect by a mile. It's really not even close.

Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him climb higher by the offseason, unless his production falls off or we acquire a bunch of top prospects via trade.

I'd like to see other people take a shot at the rankings. You don't have to go 25 deep if you don't know all the prospects, but what's everyone's top 10? I always like seeing which players other people do and don't believe in.

My individual top 10 looked like this:

Hawkins

Mitchell

Barnum

Castro

Molina

Saladino (I had him higher than anyone else)

Thompson (same as above)

Axelrod

Beck

Leesman (although I was really close to swapping him for Sanchez)

My top 25:

1 Simon Castro

2 Jared Mitchell

3 Courtney Hawkins (I should get killed pretty good for this in here)

4 Keon Barnum

5 Carlos Sanchez

6 Charlie Leesman

7 Pedro Hernandez

8 Josh Phegley (opinions varied widely on this guy)

9 Trayce Thompson

10 Nestor Molina

11 Rangel Ravelo (Have him migher than most would)

12 Dylan Axelrod

13 Andre Rienzo

14 Keenyn Walker

15 Chris Beck

16 Jordan Danks

17 Tyler Saladino

18 Erik Johnson

19 Kevan Smith

20 Jacob Petricka

21 Joey DeMichele

22 Leyson Septimo

23 Blair Walters

24 Jhan Marinez

25 Jefferson Olacio

Some guys who just missed for me: Soptic, Brennan, Haddow, Snodgress, Omogrosso

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm really excited about Beck. It will be interesting to see if the Sox changing him back to what he was, brings his stuff back.

As am I. I don't follow the guys in the minors as close as most of you here...(I get most my minor league info from everyone else here), but I will definitely be watching his progression closely. If they know what can help him get his stuff back...it will be easily one of this organization's biggest steals.

My feeling is that I like some of these guys, and we have several guys that make very nice 2-5 prospects, but none that really thrill you as Number 1's just yet.

My number 1 would be Simon Castro because I think he will be pitching effectively in the MLB very soon. Hawkins is talented but has only had a handful of at-bats out of high school so far and they haven't been pretty. I'd put him 3 after Mitchell. Barnum to follow, then Molina, then Hernandez.

1 Simon Castro

2 Jared Mitchell

3 Courtney Hawkins (I should get killed pretty good for this in here)

4 Keon Barnum

5 Carlos Sanchez

6 Charlie Leesman

7 Pedro Hernandez

8 Josh Phegley (opinions varied widely on this guy)

9 Trayce Thompson

10 Nestor Molina

11 Rangel Ravelo (Have him migher than most would)

12 Dylan Axelrod

13 Andre Rienzo

14 Keenyn Walker

15 Chris Beck

16 Jordan Danks

17 Tyler Saladino

18 Erik Johnson

19 Kevan Smith

20 Jacob Petricka

1. Hawkins

2. Mitchell

3. Castro

4. Beck

5. Barnum

6. Molina

7. Thompson

8. P. Hernandez

9. Leesman

10. Walker

11. Sanchez

12. Soptic

13. Saladino

14. Rienzo

15. Soptic

I don't have Jordan Danks anywhere near the Top 25. He's a 4th Of at best. Also, I have Dylan Axelrod way down in the rankings again at best a 5th starter on average/below average team/long reliever. Shocked how high Danks and Axelrod were.

1. Hawkins

2. Castro

3. Mitchell

4. Barnum

5. Thompson

6. Walker

7. Molina

8. Sanchez

9. Johnson

10. Rienzo

11. Saladino

12. Beck

13. Hernandez

14. Leesman

15. Petricka

16. DeMichale

17. Snodgress

18. Heindenrich

19. Septimo

20. Axelrod

21. Walters

22. Olacio

23. Phegley

24. Ravelo

25. K. Smith

Just missing Soptic/Semien/Ayala

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
I don't have Jordan Danks anywhere near the Top 25. He's a 4th Of at best. Also, I have Dylan Axelrod way down in the rankings again at best a 5th starter on average/below average team/long reliever. Shocked how high Danks and Axelrod were.

1. Hawkins

2. Castro

3. Mitchell

4. Barnum

5. Thompson

6. Walker

7. Molina

8. Sanchez

9. Johnson

10. Rienzo

11. Saladino

12. Beck

13. Hernandez

14. Leesman

15. Petricka

16. DeMichale

17. Snodgress

18. Heindenrich

19. Septimo

20. Axelrod

21. Walters

22. Olacio

23. Phegley

24. Ravelo

25. K. Smith

Just missing Soptic/Semien/Ayala

So you're definitely a ceiling guy.

Axelrod and Danks are interesting discussions. Axelrod's ceiling is probably a 4/5 starter, more likely a long reliever... but he's already proven he can do that, which is huge value to a team. If you look at the FS list, the guy right behind him, Trayce Thompson is the exact opposite: huge ceiling, huge bust potential. Danks is probably a 4th OF, but again, he's already proving he can probably do that, and with his athleticism and tools there is a chance he can improve further.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
So you're definitely a ceiling guy.

Axelrod and Danks are interesting discussions. Axelrod's ceiling is probably a 4/5 starter, more likely a long reliever... but he's already proven he can do that, which is huge value to a team. If you look at the FS list, the guy right behind him, Trayce Thompson is the exact opposite: huge ceiling, huge bust potential. Danks is probably a 4th OF, but again, he's already proving he can probably do that, and with his athleticism and tools there is a chance he can improve further.

That is always my favorite part of the give and take. How does a guy like Axelrod who is proving to be a border line 5th starter balance out against a guy like Soptic who has mondo-stuff, but a high chance at being a bust?

I think Axelrod really hasn't proved that he can make it as a starter in the majors. He's had 5 starts this year and only 1 was considered a quality start. Yes, his good start was against the Yankee's, but Arod, Granderson, and Jeter were getting the day off. Axelrod will get eaten alive in the Cell. His pitching arsenal doesn't suit our ballpark.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)

You're going to tell me that Leesman has a higher upside than Axelrod? Leesman seems like a less polished LH version of Axelrod. What about Heidenreich? What's the upside of a pitcher striking out 6 per 9 IP in A ball?

Heidenreich is a sinker ball pitcher who pitches in the low 90's. He keeps the ball low and is a ground ball pitcher. He's more in the lines of a Jon Garland type pitcher. Plus, Heidenreich is just scratching the surface. He's 21 years old with the potential to add some MPH to his fastball. Great starting pitcher frame 6-5/195. Changeup is starting to develop into an average pitch. Big Fan of him

Edited by PolishPrince34

You should learn to spell his name if you're such a fan. I'm not really a believer yet, but we'll see. Garland already had 100 strong innings in AAA at 21 while Heidenreich just got to AA. I think that comparison flatters him a bit.