Sox eager to move Floyd, other notes

southsider2k5

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago...deadline-072412

White Sox could make bold move

FOX Sports Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi

At the height of trading season, teams often send confusing messages, making it difficult to decipher their intentions.

That said, the Chicago White Sox will be a team to watch in the next week, with the non-waiver deadline approaching next Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams already has acquired third baseman Kevin Youkilis and right-handed reliever Brett Myers. But rival executives who know him well say that he is almost certain to make another move in response to the Detroit Tigers’ acquisitions of right-hander Anibal Sanchez and second baseman Omar Infante on Monday.

“Kenny’s going to do something,” one exec says. “No way he’s going a week without doing something.”

And that “something,” based on Williams’ history, may not be small.

In Williams’ perfect world, it may be Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke.

The White Sox want to add another starting pitcher and Greinke is high on their wish list, according to major-league sources.

The question is how Williams, with a thin farm system, could muster a package to acquire Greinke. And the answer may be by trading right-hander Gavin Floyd for prospects that the Sox then could add to a deal for Greinke, who is a potential free agent.

The upgrade from Floyd to Greinke over 10 to 12 starts might not be terribly significant, but Greinke potentially is much more of a difference-maker, particularly if the White Sox reach the postseason.

What’s more, the Sox are eager to move Floyd, sources say.

So, here is one scenario based on recent scouting activity. It is purely speculative, and certain caveats apply. But the idea is this:

Floyd to the Blue Jays for a package headed by Class A left-hander Justin Nicolino, then Nicolino and another piece – perhaps one of the White Sox’s young major-league relievers, perhaps one of their outfield prospects, Jared Mitchell or Trayce Thompson – for Greinke.

Nicolino, 20, was the Jays’ No. 5 prospect entering the season, according to Baseball America. The White Sox scouted his most recent start on Sunday. And the Blue Jays had two scouts at Floyd’s start on Monday night.

Now, it’s possible that this all means nothing.

It’s possible that the White Sox were more interested in some of Nicolino’s teammates or opponents than Nicolino.

It’s also possible that the Blue Jays were more interested in Minnesota Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano and other players than Floyd. The Jays employ so many scouts, they routinely send multiple representatives to games.

But there is this:

Floyd, who has a $9.5 million club option for next season, likely is more attractive to the Jays than Liriano, who is a potential free agent.

And there is also this:

The White Sox and Blue Jays combined with the St. Louis Cardinals on a three-team, 11-player trade last season that sent center fielder Colby Rasmus to Toronto and right-hander Edwin Jackson to St. Louis.

Two and two does not always equal four during trading season, so the above speculation should be taken as just that – speculation.

But Williams routinely demonstrates his willingness to make bold moves, as well as a certain fearlessness at the deadline.

Those are cold facts.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd is one of the better pieces of trade bait out there. That option is pretty solid and affordable for what he is. I hate giving up too much for Zack. He's going to be gone at the end of the year (as I highly doubt the Sox would sign him) and you end up turning an asset like Floyd (+ other good prospects) into a rental.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
That doesn't mean our media is the 7th smallest in the nation.

How much time & effort does our media put into covering the White Sox? The Cubs draft this year was getting more coverage than the Sox ascent into 1st place.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
How much time & effort does our media put into covering the White Sox? The Cubs draft this year was getting more coverage than the Sox ascent into 1st place.

It's still a much bigger market than KC or Milwaukee.

It's possible the small market/big market thing is overplayed when it comes to Greinke. He knows if he performs in the next 2-3 months, he's going to get paid a lot of money. Having more suitors will get him more money. So going to a bigger market (Chicago) would be a good test case for him.

All I know is that I'd rather have Greinke starting a playoff game than Floyd.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
It's still a much bigger market than KC or Milwaukee.

Very true. I just don't put it on a big market level like Yankees, Boston, Philly, Cubs, etc. There's definitely less pressure despite the size of Chicago.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
Greinke will make us favs to win the Central

Not if it takes Danks a month to return and the Sox have to start Humber or Axelrod another 6-10 times this year. Also, if Greinke goes out and gets hit hard tonight, you have to worry about arm fatigue.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Floyd is one of the better pieces of trade bait out there. That option is pretty solid and affordable for what he is. I hate giving up too much for Zack. He's going to be gone at the end of the year (as I highly doubt the Sox would sign him) and you end up turning an asset like Floyd (+ other good prospects) into a rental.

With the mindset of them NOT taking his option next year, I woudn't mind them dealing Floyd in attempt to bolster a deal for Grienke. Yes, you may risk losing him in free agency next year, BUT having Grienke in the rotation along with Peavy, Quintana, and Sale THIS YEAR could be scary for any opposing team the rest of the way. Oh and Danks will likely come back at the end of August too.

I will worry about the future during the offseason :)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
If the Brewers want Quintana as the centerpiece of a deal, I'll drive him to Milwaukee myself. That guy isn't going to last. His value can only go down from here.

I disagree. This guy has 3 excellent pitches and reminds of me of a younger Johan Santana. You keep Q! You do not want to repeat another Gio Gonzalez or Dan Hudson situation.