AND THATS A WHITE SOX PIRANHA CLEAN SWEEP!!!

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Am I the only one who has a problem with this. on sooooo many levels.

They're highly paid professionals, vying for a division championship, playing their direct competitors, and they can't get up for those games. I'm not sure what this says about their make up. They've gone 3 - 3 in their last six, and why the totals come out the same, I think that I would of preferred it if they would have won a game or 2 in Detroit and lost a game or 2 against the Twins.

They should of let their exhaustion show against the Twins, not the Tigers.

Great. And then there is the reality that these guys are human, and not the machines that people expect them to be because they get paid a lot of money... If that was even the problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Great. And then there is the reality that these guys are human, and not the machines that people expect them to be because they get paid a lot of money... If that was even the problem.

Oh, I understand that they are human, and maybe I'm making much more out of this than need be, I just can't imagine why they would play like they were exhausted against the Tigers. Even if they were completely exhausted you have to get up for those games. Of course it is still July, not September. JMHO

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
Oh, I understand that they are human, and maybe I'm making much more out of this than need be, I just can't imagine why they would play like they were exhausted against the Tigers. Even if they were completely exhausted you have to get up for those games. Of course it is still July, not September. JMHO

So you don't understand why flying to KC, then turning around and flying to Boston, then flying to Detroit within a week wouldn't make you exhausted? Those are three relatively long flights. And despite the all-star break, this team has been on the road a lot recently, playing seemingly tough series every week.

Every team goes through this "dog days" routine. It's a long season and you're playing almost every day. It gets grueling after a while.

I'm proud of them for responding well when they came home. I don't begrudge them one bad 7 game stretch in a month at all. Before Boston they hadn't lost a series in a month.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
So you don't understand why flying to KC, then turning around and flying to Boston, then flying to Detroit within a week wouldn't make you exhausted? Those are three relatively long flights. And despite the all-star break, this team has been on the road a lot recently, playing seemingly tough series every week.

I understand this aspect perfectly, I have travelled extensively myself for job purposes and I know how exhausting that can be. That said, if I were to travel that same schedule, but had a major presentation to make upon my arrival in Detroit, I would be "up" for my time in Detroit. I would of let the exhaustion get to me when I got back home.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Rios quietly having a career year.

I don't think it's been quiet at all...I think he's been the MVP of the offense...he's been hitting like a machine for about 3 months now.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)

Every team goes through this "dog days" routine. It's a long season and you're playing almost every day. It gets grueling after a while.

I'm proud of them for responding well when they came home. I don't begrudge them one bad 7 game stretch in a month at all. Before Boston they hadn't lost a series in a month.

And I think all of the series finales were night games, so they didn't have an early get-away day in Boston after that crushing Escobar/Thornton/Reed loss. Although Harrelson said that they got in reasonably early (probably 1-2 am)...that wasn't an easy blow to recover from, and they went right into the teeth of the Tigers' headwinds and Verlander.

The Tigers are on a 14-3 run. We had an earlier 14-2 run where we just crushed the Indians and swept them 3 in a row and made them look 10X worse than the Tigers handled us, actually. It's all about when you play and momentum.

And the Indians are still 6-2 against the Tigers this year...although that might easily change to 6-3 with Verlander going tonight.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
I don't think it's been quiet at all...I think he's been the MVP of the offense...he's been hitting like a machine for about 3 months now.

Notice how much power he's hit for ever since he took my advice to pull the ball more? :)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
and they had four days off the previous week.

Exactly. Detroit just looked like the superior team in all facets. Nice bounce back series vs. Minnesota to take all three. Usually we just win two of three when we're playing well, so that's a nice bonus to take them all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
Remember back when the thought of the Twins coming to town meant that they would probably eviscerate the Sox in every way imaginable, and pretty much end any hope of contending? That is why beating on this bad team is fun

That were some bone head Sox plays that would have turned into losses 3-4 years ago.

The Twins are really bad. They have fallen quickly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)

Quietly meaning no national attention , no All Star game, no curtain calls from fans, not even extended interviews from Chicago media. In what way do you think it hasn't been quiet ?