Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
I know he played well tonight, but I'm amazed at how many supporters Escobar has in this thread. Anyways, I now believe this is the most talented Sox team since the 2006 squad, assuming Sale and ADA are/stay healthy.

That means we can go farther back, since the 2006 squad was more talented than the 2005 squad (considering no Frank of course in either)

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 05:58 AM)
That means we can go farther back, since the 2006 squad was more talented than the 2005 squad (considering no Frank of course in either)

That 2006 quad was the most talented Sox team I can recall

I know he played well tonight, but I'm amazed at how many supporters Escobar has in this thread. Anyways, I now believe this is the most talented Sox team since the 2006 squad, assuming Sale and ADA are/stay healthy.

You're not fun when you're optimistic.

I should clarify when I was sad about Escobar it was because of how hard he was taking being traded not his on-field value.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 06:03 AM)
I should clarify when I was sad about Escobar it was because of how hard he was taking being traded not his on-field value.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for liking/supporting him. I thought 95% of the board (including yours truly) was really down on him after the blown double play in Boston.

Coming into tonight, Escobar was hitting .159 with a .444 OPS against righties. That's not starting SS caliber unless he drastically improves. I do want to thank him for walking off the Brewers on that Sunday afternoon.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
Coming into tonight, Escobar was hitting .159 with a .444 OPS against righties. That's not starting SS caliber unless he drastically improves. I do want to thank him for walking off the Brewers on that Sunday afternoon.

Seems like a nice kid so I definitely wish him the best but ya, he's not very good.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
I find it amazing that our farm system is supposedly one of the worst yet KW keeps finding ways of making sweet deals....

It might be the worst now since most of them are up here. This time he depleted the farm by bringing them up.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
It might be the worst now since most of them are up here. This time he depleted the farm by bringing them up.

Outside of Reed/Viciedo the guys called up were not that highly rated, although Santiago/Jones can definitely be legit bp arms.

Our minors right now have a lot of interesting guys in lower levels though, Sanchez/Castro only ones worth noting in AA/AAA

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Let's hope Liriano is motivated by playing for a contending team.

Does anyone know why he's been so bad this year? Has it been lack of motivation? Injury? Is he tipping his pitches? Just one of those years? How has his velocity been?

Bob

He's also coming to a team with much better defense. Defensive mental errors are not recorded stats nor is awesome plays. He may be much better with a new group behind him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
I'm not saying anyone is wrong for liking/supporting him. I thought 95% of the board (including yours truly) was really down on him after the blown double play in Boston.

Robin blew that game all on his own with his grizzly baseball axioms and his completely thoughtless approach to situational baseball. I love Robin, but I swear all he does is make up nicknames. Where's Mark Parent Robin? Oh, that's right, M-Par's getting you your coffee. Nice.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
Would the train cost a lot of money though?

Worth it. I just want him for the nickname my brother gave him, Laundry Baby Pimp. It was born from my sister-in-law mishearing "Juan Uribe is a Pimp"

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
at this point you better get something ridiculous if you give up Gavin...can't see it right now. You're putting an awful lot of pressure/depending on Humber. And you DO NOT send Quintana to the bullpen...PERIOD.

I agree. You have two guys who have not pitched a full ML season. The wheels could come off Sale and Q in August. Danks should be put on hold. If anything I bet Kenny is shopping Thornton.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
Looking at the Tigers boards & Indians boards they seem to be brushing this trade off & saying it wasnt an upgrade at all.

They must not know about the magic Don Cooper has worked in the past. Not to mention in his last 60 innings hasn't Liriano struck out about 70? His stuff is still there.

Check out WSI. The first few pages are doom and gloom.