Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
I would think he would stay since he will be starting on Tuesday in Minn.

You mean he didn't fly to Texas to see his new teammates, and then turn right around to fly back to Minneapolis? What a jerk!

:lolhitting

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Yes, jones throws hard. Hes also been abysmal for the last two months and has no feel for an offspeed pitch. He should probably be in aaa throwing a lot of sliders.

Do you have a vendetta against Nate Jones or do you just want a better reliever?

KW crazy good this year. I will be one to say I have doubted him and been frustrated with him recentley until this year. Now I am pretty happen we kept him around. Lets hope he can keep it up Septimo and ODawg for King Felix :lolhitting looking possible with how KW has just picked teams apart this year through trade. Have to give our scouts some props to considering they are the ones telling KW what these guys are doing.

Caller just called in & said Escobar was gonna become an all star & Liriano is on the downside of his career....

Some ppl act like Liriano is in his mid 30s or something, the guys is still only 28 & his stuff is still there. Just a little tweak to help his command & we could have a big time steal.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Caller just called in & said Escobar was gonna become an all star & Liriano is on the downside of his career....

Some ppl act like Liriano is in his mid 30s or something, the guys is still only 28 & his stuff is still there. Just a little tweak to help his command & we could have a big time steal.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)

Unless it is a very simple change, he will be gone by the time any real changes can be made to Liriano.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
Unless it is a very simple change, he will be gone by the time any real changes can be made to Liriano.

Unlikely, but will at least float it...if he were to have big success in the last 2 months and really feel comfortable, he might want to pitch for the same coach for 1 more season to try to build up the kind of performance record that could push him to an enormous contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Unlikely, but will at least float it...if he were to have big success in the last 2 months and really feel comfortable, he might want to pitch for the same coach for 1 more season to try to build up the kind of performance record that could push him to an enormous contract.

The other option is to go to the NL West or NL Central and do the same thing...put up a huge year statistically, maybe lead the NL in strikeouts or finish Top 10 in ERA. It's a little bit like the situation with Edwin Jackson. You can see a team out there giving him $7-10 million for one year, but not a multi-year deal until he proves what he can really do on a consistent basis.

Maybe if he stuck around with Floyd, we'd have the two most infuriating yet talented starters that any team has in their rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Sometimes a simple change is all it takes. Edwin Jackson was pretty much nails as soon as he had his first bullpen session with Cooper.

Which would either mean that the Twins pitching coach was an idiot, or Liriano isn't responsive to coaching.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Sometimes a simple change is all it takes. Edwin Jackson was pretty much nails as soon as he had his first bullpen session with Cooper.

Joe McGrane was going over Liriano on videotape and was showing how is delivery was so inconsistent. When he was straight forward, he said he had a Steve Carlton slider, when he fell to the side, he had no command. He also said Cooper believes in clean angles and will straighten his delivery up, which could pay off huge. It just depends how long it takes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
The other option is to go to the NL West or NL Central and do the same thing...put up a huge year statistically, maybe lead the NL in strikeouts or finish Top 10 in ERA. It's a little bit like the situation with Edwin Jackson. You can see a team out there giving him $7-10 million for one year, but not a multi-year deal until he proves what he can really do on a consistent basis.

Maybe if he stuck around with Floyd, we'd have the two most infuriating yet talented starters that any team has in their rotation.

Can we get Ervin Santana, too?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Joe McGrane was going over Liriano on videotape and was showing how is delivery was so inconsistent. When he was straight forward, he said he had a Steve Carlton slider, when he fell to the side, he had no command. He also said Cooper believes in clean angles and will straighten his delivery up, which could pay off huge. It just depends how long it takes.

I'm hoping it has to do with interest. I think Liriano was trying to bulk up his next contract with high K rates and it let to him overthrowing and sloppy delivery. But now that he's on a contender, you can make quite a bit more money by pitching well "under pressure" and helping a team get to the playoffs. At least that's what I'm hoping.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm hoping it has to do with interest. I think Liriano was trying to bulk up his next contract with high K rates and it let to him overthrowing and sloppy delivery. But now that he's on a contender, you can make quite a bit more money by pitching well "under pressure" and helping a team get to the playoffs. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Liriano has struggled with consistency since the injury. He's gone through this pattern where he comes out and is absolutely horrific, they send him to the bullpen, he works it out, comes back, pitches extremely well for a long time, and then eventually falls back into bad habits and struggles again.

Hopefully Cooper can keep him on track.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)

I don't know why but I have the feeling that come September they're going to be calling this trade the most significant one made by the deadline. I just have a feeling that like you said, he's going to a contender, and that he's going to fix the inconsistencies and return to dominance. It just feels like that kind of year for the Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Liriano has struggled with consistency since the injury. He's gone through this pattern where he comes out and is absolutely horrific, they send him to the bullpen, he works it out, comes back, pitches extremely well for a long time, and then eventually falls back into bad habits and struggles again.

Hopefully Cooper can keep him on track.

Yeah, this is true. I'm kind of isolating this year from previous ones for no reason.