Waiver Wire Thread?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Twins are averaging over 35k a game. Dumping Mauer for no return WILL NOT HAPPEN.

They also have the 2nd biggest year over year attendance decrease in MLB for this season, next to the Astros. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were looking at poor season ticket renewals for next year as well and factoring that in

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
Twins are averaging over 35k a game. Dumping Mauer for no return WILL NOT HAPPEN.

If some team were dumb enough to claim Joe Mauer, they'd piss their collective panties (they all wear women's underwear) and drive him to the airport while doing lines of blow off hookers' asses.

They are in the 3rd season of a beautiful new ballpark, with two straight 90+ loss seasons, so that attendance will definitely drop.

That being said, I do agree that they won't dump him for no return. The #1 draft pick hometown boy? Doubtful, and he's still producing, just not at his MVP level. They probably need to move the RF fence in though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Mauer is still a really good player. I'd love him on the Sox. I'd think his power would return. KW should claim him for the block. There is absolutely no way the Twins ever let Mauer go to the White Sox, except maybe when he's totally washed up.

The Sox won't claim him, the point is moot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
Well why on earth did they sign him to this deal in the first place then? It isn't like most people didn't see this coming...

One would think part of their decision to give him this contract is for the exact reasons you are claiming are of no consequence now.

I agree with you that I think it would be wise to let him walk. I just don't think it is as easy of a decision as you seem to think it is.

His power completely disappeared. That is a large part of that contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
So you design a pitchers ballpark that takes away his power, and you sign him at the absolute peak of his performance. Brilliant.

It was absolutely retarded.

You don't purchase an asset at it's absolute peak value.

I won't argue with any of that. Target Field was incredibly stupid to be built the way that it was when you consider who the Twins were.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
If some team were dumb enough to claim Joe Mauer, they'd piss their collective panties (they all wear women's underwear) and drive him to the airport while doing lines of blow off hookers' asses.

How about a wager? Any sort of trade and the bet is off, but if the news comes out that he's claimed and the Twins let him go, I won't post here for 6 months. If it comes out he's claimed and the Twins pull him back, you don't post here for 3 months?

It will be more like 30k next year. They are awful with no hope in sight. Their franchise history of attendance is as bad as the White Sox, if not worse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
I won't argue with any of that. Target Field was incredibly stupid to be built the way that it was when you consider who the Twins were.

Hawk mentioned he was talking to Twins people and they were told by engineers that Target Field was going to be a home run haven for left handed hitters. Unless you're Jim Thome, it turns out the opposite was true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
How about a wager? Any sort of trade and the bet is off, but if the news comes out that he's claimed and the Twins let him go, I won't post here for 6 months. If it comes out he's claimed and the Twins pull him back, you don't post here for 3 months?

How about something less stupid during a White Sox push to the playoffs? The last thing I'd want is to not be able to post here during that.

If that happened, how about you have to put "I am an idiot, and Steve is awesome." in your signature really big-like. In the small likelihood that I get proven wrong here, I do likewise.

And it's moot. Guess what? NO ONE CLAIMED THAT AWFUL CONTRACT BECAUSE IT'S SO AWFUL THE TWINS WOULD HAVE LET HIM GO.

Joe Mauer has cleared revocable waivers.

Which means that he can be dealt to any team between now and 12 a.m. ET on Friday. Mauer is owed around $138 million over the next six years and carries a no-trade clause, so a move is highly doubtful to happen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
And it's moot. Guess what? NO ONE CLAIMED THAT AWFUL CONTRACT BECAUSE IT'S SO AWFUL THE TWINS WOULD HAVE LET HIM GO.

Which means that he can be dealt to any team between now and 12 a.m. ET on Friday. Mauer is owed around $138 million over the next six years and carries a no-trade clause, so a move is highly doubtful to happen.

I don't think anyone stated that he would be claimed.

If he was claimed, the Twins could say "Hah, he's yours!" and walk away.

Now, teams can still trade for him but are not on the hook if the Twins refuse to eat some salary.

What I have been saying in many different ways is he is much more valuable to the Twins than any other organization, and thus, there are plenty of other factors besides his on-field production that govern whether or not the Twins would let him walk.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)

Just because no one claimed him doesn't mean teams wouldn't want him. The Twins aren't in payroll dumping mode. If they were, they would have let Mourneau walk and open up first base for Mauer full time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Just because no one claimed him doesn't mean teams wouldn't want him. The Twins aren't in payroll dumping mode. If they were, they would have let Mourneau walk and open up first base for Mauer full time.

How could they let him walk if he has a guaranteed contract at least through the end of this year?

That's partly why they considered dumping Span, and they let Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan go, not to mention Hardy and Punto.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 03:12 AM)
How could they let him walk if he has a guaranteed contract at least through the end of this year?

That's partly why they considered dumping Span, and they let Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan go, not to mention Hardy and Punto.

He was claimed on waivers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 03:12 AM)

It wasnt considered, it was done. Span nixed it

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 07:20 AM)
Was that ever 100% confirmed? I thought some sources reported Span said no, some sources said the Reds backed off.

I dont know, some reports say he did, some say he didnt. Lets be honest here, why exactly would the Reds back off? He would look really nice at the top of their lineup.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
I dont know, some reports say he did, some say he didnt. Lets be honest here, why exactly would the Reds back off? He would look really nice at the top of their lineup.

The Reds backed off. Span doesn't have the right to back off. Span is a free agent after this year and they were going nowhere, its a little different than being able to dump Morneau and not have to pay him next year, and open up first base for Mauer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
The Reds backed off. Span doesn't have the right to back off. Span is a free agent after this year and they were going nowhere, its a little different than being able to dump Morneau and not have to pay him next year, and open up first base for Mauer.

It was reported that Span said no.

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-tw...cincinnati-reds

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
It was reported that Span said no.

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-tw...cincinnati-reds

MLB Network reported he turned down the trade then recanted. He doesn't have a no trade clause. From the Twins beat writer:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/16452837...r=y&refer=y

Edited by Dick Allen