AJ Pierzynski Deserves Lifetime Sox Contract

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Can you picture a scenario in which the White Sox ever replace Robin Ventura? He's proven he's not a buffoon and knows how to manage, which is not rocket science. He's already proven he's as good as anybody they could get nowadays.

He is the opposite of Ozzie mouth-wise, so he'll never get himself fired. That leaves him stepping down some day on his own. I would assume he's set for life financially five times over, so I guess he could tire of the grind. If he truly loves baseball, I think he's our manager the next 25 years. How can the Sox ever fire Robin Ventura? That can't happen cause of his name and history with the franchise.

Guillens eight years were the longest tenure of any Sox manager since Al Lopez's nine. Those nine years were second only to Jimmy Dykes' 12 years. The White Sox history isn't for long tenured managers. In fact it is quite the opposite. Even if you bounce over to the Bulls, to get a bigger Jerry Reinsdorf owned team sample, the longest there is Phil Jackson's nine years. He is the only coach during the JR era who has lasted over four years.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
1.) Robin will understand? Nobody wants to get fired. He could tire of the job and quit maybe, but I can't see him ever getting fired. Not after proving he can do the job. If the Sox suck in the future, other heads will roll before Robin IMO.

2.) I don't know if the media would run him out. If the team starts to suck again I'd think the media would go after Kenny.

1. No one wants to get fired, but in pro sports you get hired to be fired. If his team consistenly sucks, I don't think Robin would hold a grudge if JR were to fire him. The Sox relationship ending with Ozzie wasn't strictly based on the off the field stuff. His teams made the playoffs once in six years. Even a WS title in Chicago doesn't buy you a lifetime managerial/GM pass.

2. Right now, I agree with that. But if the team keeps sucking with a new GM, the manager would be next to go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Can you picture a scenario in which the White Sox ever replace Robin Ventura? He's proven he's not a buffoon and knows how to manage, which is not rocket science. He's already proven he's as good as anybody they could get nowadays.

He is the opposite of Ozzie mouth-wise, so he'll never get himself fired. That leaves him stepping down some day on his own. I would assume he's set for life financially five times over, so I guess he could tire of the grind. If he truly loves baseball, I think he's our manager the next 25 years. How can the Sox ever fire Robin Ventura? That can't happen cause of his name and history with the franchise.

All managers are hired to be fired. Eventually they lose the team and the team begins to lose. It happens to all of them. I loved Ozzie as a manger but by the end it was time to go. It doesn't mean he wasn't good, he just lost the team. It will happen to Robin as well. In ozzie's case it was "it became too much of a distraction'. When Robin goes it will be "he was too calm, we needed someone to push it a little." It's just how it goes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Seems like he'd be a natural. A lot of times he looks in the dugout if a pitcher has completely lost it. Seems like he'd have a good feel. It's amazing when you talk about managing. Ventura has done well enough this year that he's assured a 20-year tenure with the Sox if he wants it. What is Robin, 45? He's proven he can manage. With his personality, he's NEVER going to get in trouble with anybody (owners or players) so he's set. He could be a White Sox legend.

If he can win one or two WS in 25 years and eight division titles, he'll be a living White Sox legend.

Question is ... can he do that? Let's say he's our skipper the next 25 years. Can he win 2 WS and eight division titles? I'd say maybe one WS. Two might be difficult.

So because he's 62-52 this year SO FAR, he'll be "assured" a 20 year tenure?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 04:16 AM)
So because he's 62-52 this year SO FAR, he'll be "assured" a 20 year tenure?

I think so, because the only question with Robin (at least to me) was the question of whether being a color announcer at the Little League World Series would translate into being a big-league manager. He had absolutely no experience at all, aside from playing an easy, reaction position, third base for a long time and hitting at a high level for a long time.

There was always the chance he could be a Bevington, a total clown in the dugout.

However, he has proven he is no clown, he in fact is as good as any other manager in baseball. Let's face it, most of them make the same decisions over and over. You can second guess his use of certain relievers, but that goes with the territory. In most 3-to-5 run losses you can point to "mishandling" of the bullpen.

Since he knows what he's doing, the only way he could get fired is to rub people the wrong way and there's been no evidence of any of that. The fact NO VETERANS on our team have had any hints of trouble with Robin prove he's a players' manager as well.

I see him managing 20-25 years on the south side unless he decides it's too much travel and he wants to count his money for a few years and golf.

If he does decide to quit at some point, I could see AJP getting the nod.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
I think so, because the only question with Robin (at least to me) was the question of whether being a color announcer at the Little League World Series would translate into being a big-league manager. He had absolutely no experience at all, aside from playing an easy, reaction position, third base for a long time and hitting at a high level for a long time.

There was always the chance he could be a Bevington, a total clown in the dugout.

However, he has proven he is no clown, he in fact is as good as any other manager in baseball. Let's face it, most of them make the same decisions over and over. You can second guess his use of certain relievers, but that goes with the territory. In most 3-to-5 run losses you can point to "mishandling" of the bullpen.

Since he knows what he's doing, the only way he could get fired is to rub people the wrong way and there's been no evidence of any of that. The fact NO VETERANS on our team have had any hints of trouble with Robin prove he's a players' manager as well.

I see him managing 20-25 years on the south side unless he decides it's too much travel and he wants to count his money for a few years and golf.

You are so out of touch with sports today.

I don't know if there is any manager in the current world of baseball that anyone could see managing for 20 or 25 years for the same team. Don't get me wrong, I like Robin, and I think he'll be managing the team for a while. But, I think a realistic view is 10 years, tops. Something will happen between now and then that will result in Robin deciding to move on or him being fired/not re-signed. I think that would probably be true with most managers. But, if in 2032, Robin is still sauntering out of the dugout to take the ball from a winded pitcher, be sure to bump this thread.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
One thing you can count on with Greg. He never lets facts get in the way of his strong opinion. However odd it may be.

Well, he does regularly check the pulse of the White Sox fandom in Kansas.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
That isn't actually true is it? AJ said that was bs.

It did happen. Some of the other stuff in SF with some of the pitchers is suspect but the incident with the athletic trainer did happen.

Playing 3rd is easy? I wish I was as good of an athlete as you are if you consider it easy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
The poker playing instead of working with the pitchers?

Things along that line. There were a few that really didn't like him and tended to spread stories. Did he play poker. Yes, but in the clubhouse many do. Did he do it when he was supposed to be working with pitchers? That was the issue and there are people on both sides of it.

From experience I would doubt it. He is one of the hardest working players in the league, both physically and studying hitters and pitchers.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Things along that line. There were a few that really didn't like him and tended to spread stories. Did he play poker. Yes, but in the clubhouse many do. Did he do it when he was supposed to be working with pitchers? That was the issue and there are people on both sides of it.

From experience I would doubt it. He is one of the hardest working players in the league, both physically and studying hitters and pitchers.

Something like the poker incident strikes me as something that could be interpreted different ways.

I see something like this happening. AJ is playing poker. One of the pitchers comes in and said something like "hey let's go over the [insert team]'s line up."

AJ answers back, "Hold on, let me finish this hand" or similar.

Both sides now have their "evidence" of what happened.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
You are so out of touch with sports today.

Tell me why Robin won't be manager the next 25 years. I said HE MAY TIRE of it, but if he wants the job, he'll have it. You think the White Sox are going to fire a legend like Ventura w/out him pulling an Ozzie? He'll never pull an Ozzie. He'll never say stupid things that get him in hot water with management or the league commish. The man can manage; case closed IMO.

Now regarding your statement.

No way I'm out of touch and I'll prove it with these following assertions about sports today.

-- The top dollar teams still win. You might catch lightning in a bottle a while with teams like the Twins a few years ago, but you have to spend tons of money and be major players in free agency yearly to field WS contending teams.

-- Teams should not sign pitchers to deals of more than 3 years unless they have money to burn cause pitchers nowadays are totally brittle. Even Sabathia is finally hurt.

-- College sports are a joke. The Penn State scandal could happen at ANY huge program where the first thing in a crisis situation that is discussed is, "Is this something we can make go away?"

-- Money rules EVERYTHING in life and sports.

-- Fans that holler for the second string quarterback to play over the current starter are morons. You think the head coach doesn't have a feel for whom his best quarterback is?? I love when the second stringer finally gets his chance and fails and there's a murmur about giving the third-team quarterback a chance. Nowadays the third teamer is such a scrub that even the dumbest of fans doesn't go there.

-- Prices at NFL games and MLB games have forced the casual fan to simply watch on HD TV. Chiefs parking is 40 bucks a game. My god. What idiot would pay that?

Now how out of touch am I? Ask me any question and I assure you my answer will not be prima donnaish or 1950sish. I am as modern as the iphone.

--

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Playing 3rd is easy? I wish I was as good of an athlete as you are if you consider it easy.

I wondered if anybody would catch my rip of the 3B position. I played 3B all the way through high school and was told more than once I was at third cause it's the easiest position. And it was easy. That play to your left where you cut off the shortstop is so easy. Charging in for a roller is not that difficult; you either can do it or you can't. I could with no problem. The shot right at you is very easy to snatch as hard hit as it might be. The toughest plays for me were the bloops to left field where you might kill yourself running into the ss or leftfielder and I was not great on the bullet to my right, down the line. It's a long throw after you snag the ball. I think 3B is easier than second cause second you have the stolen base to worry about and the DP pivot, et. all. At third, it's easy to step on the bag and fire for the DP or throw to second and on to first for the DP. Yes third is easy.

Edited by greg775

The reason Robin won't have 25 years with same club as manager is the fact that it rarely happens, maybe never happens unless you own the club like Connie Mack did. Step and look at what you are saying. It's simply illogical and unreasonable.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Tell me why Robin won't be manager the next 25 years. I said HE MAY TIRE of it, but if he wants the job, he'll have it. You think the White Sox are going to fire a legend like Ventura w/out him pulling an Ozzie? He'll never pull an Ozzie. He'll never say stupid things that get him in hot water with management or the league commish. The man can manage; case closed IMO.

Now regarding your statement.

No way I'm out of touch and I'll prove it with these following assertions about sports today.

-- The top dollar teams still win. You might catch lightning in a bottle a while with teams like the Twins a few years ago, but you have to spend tons of money and be major players in free agency yearly to field WS contending teams.

-- Teams should not sign pitchers to deals of more than 3 years unless they have money to burn cause pitchers nowadays are totally brittle. Even Sabathia is finally hurt.

-- College sports are a joke. The Penn State scandal could happen at ANY huge program where the first thing in a crisis situation that is discussed is, "Is this something we can make go away?"

-- Money rules EVERYTHING in life and sports.

-- Fans that holler for the second string quarterback to play over the current starter are morons. You think the head coach doesn't have a feel for whom his best quarterback is?? I love when the second stringer finally gets his chance and fails and there's a murmur about giving the third-team quarterback a chance. Nowadays the third teamer is such a scrub that even the dumbest of fans doesn't go there.

-- Prices at NFL games and MLB games have forced the casual fan to simply watch on HD TV. Chiefs parking is 40 bucks a game. My god. What idiot would pay that?

Now how out of touch am I? Ask me any question and I assure you my answer will not be prima donnaish or 1950sish. I am as modern as the iphone.

--

I wondered if anybody would catch my rip of the 3B position. I played 3B all the way through high school and was told more than once I was at third cause it's the easiest position. And it was easy. That play to your left where you cut off the shortstop is so easy. Charging in for a roller is not that difficult; you either can do it or you can't. I could with no problem. The shot right at you is very easy to snatch as hard hit as it might be. The toughest plays for me were the bloops to left field where you might kill yourself running into the ss or leftfielder and I was not great on the bullet to my right, down the line. It's a long throw after you snag the ball. I think 3B is easier than second cause second you have the stolen base to worry about and the DP pivot, et. all. At third, it's easy to step on the bag and fire for the DP or throw to second and on to first for the DP. Yes third is easy.

This is a Greg rant to end all Greg rants. Your list of reasons why you are not out of touch with sports have nothing to do with what is being discussed. The statement was made in reference to your assertion that Ventura will manage the Sox for the next 20-25 years. That is a completely illogical statement. There are so many more reasons why he won't vs. that he will. You're right that he won't pull an Ozzie, because only Ozzie can do that. But there is a much greater chance that Robin will either decide he wants to move on or the Sox will decide to move on than the chance that he'll be in the dugout in 2032. Remember that managers are fired/not re-signed all of the time when a team doesn't perform, even if it isn't their fault.

And third base is not an easy position to play. It's not the hardest, but it's defintely not easy. Playing there requires fast reaction time, quick feet, and a very strong arm. Many third basemen can also play first base, but not nearly as many first basmen can play third base.

Ask our GM how easy it is to play 3B...

Tell me why Robin won't be manager the next 25 years.

There have been 674 managers in MLB history.

At the end of this year Dusty Baker will become the 23rd manager to have managed 20 or more years.

Only 10 have managed 25 or more.

Only 5 have manged the same team for 20 or more.

Only 3 have managed the same team for 25 or more.

Of the currently active managers the one with the most years as a manager is Jim Leyland with 21.

Of the currently active managers the one with the most years with the same team is Mike Scioscia with 12.

Simply put, history is not on your side.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)

At the end of this year Dusty Baker will become the 23rd manager to have managed 20 or more years.

Of the currently active managers the one with the most years as a manager is Jim Leyland with 19.

Of the currently active managers the one with the most years with the same team is Mike Scioscia with 12.

Seems like he's been around forever. I remember when he was in Pittsburgh it seemed like he would have been there for 20+ years.

Of the currently active managers the one with the most years as a manager is Jim Leyland with 19.

Is it just me, or do those two statements seem to be contradictory?