Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto to LAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Morosi of Fox Sports, citing a source, reports that the blockbuster deal between the Red Sox and Dodgers has been agreed upon.

The deal would send Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to the Dodgers in exchange for James Loney, Rubby De La Rosa, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus and Allen Webster.

Per Rotoworld

Done deal

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 01:26 AM)
Wow. Someone tell me how much that clears from Boston's payroll. It has to be nearly $60 million next year right?

Yes, and isn't Ellsbury also a FA? I wouldn't be shocked if they go after Hamilton. The Dodgers seemed like the best fit, but now they might not have room. I also think this move could have a big impact on Peavy's opportunities.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
Yes, and isn't Ellsbury also a FA? I wouldn't be shocked if they go after Hamilton. The Dodgers seemed like the best fit, but now they might not have room. I also think this move could have a big impact on Peavy's opportunities.

I think Matsuzaka's contract ends this year too, as does Ortiz. The only big salary they'll have left is what, Lester?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 01:31 AM)
I think Matsuzaka's contract ends this year too, as does Ortiz. The only big salary they'll have left is what, Lester?

I read on MLBtraderumors comments that they had 100 million, but by no means was that official. I also love the comment I saw on twitter that Magic Johnson is more popular than Larry Bird in Boston today.

Edited by fathom

Lackey at $15 mil, Lester at $11.6 mil, Pedroia at $10 mil, Bucholz at $5 mil.

That plus arb guys and guys like Loney. Ellsbury is a 3rd year arb play next year so add $13 mil or so for him. Picking up all their arb guys will pile that closer to $100 mil, but aside from Lackey, Theos damage is gone.

So Im a little hazy on these rules, after the trade deadline, you can claim a player and attempt a trade for them (if on revocable waivers). I thought you were only allowed to trade players that don't have to go through waivers (non-40 man roster) and/or cash for those claims.

I guess I was wrong...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
So Im a little hazy on these rules, after the trade deadline, you can claim a player and attempt a trade for them (if on revocable waivers). I thought you were only allowed to trade players that don't have to go through waivers (non-40 man roster) and/or cash for those claims.

I guess I was wrong...

If a player is put on waivers, the team claiming him can trade for him under the same rules. If a player clears waivers he can be traded to any team. All of the players in this deal either cleared waivers or got to the Dodgers/Red Sox.

Players not on a 40 man roster can be involved in those trades without clearing waivers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
If a player is put on waivers, the team claiming him can trade for him under the same rules. If a player clears waivers he can be traded to any team. All of the players in this deal either cleared waivers or got to the Dodgers/Red Sox.

Players not on a 40 man roster can be involved in those trades without clearing waivers.

Gotchya, knew the first part, was unclear on the second part.

"The Dodgers are expected to pick up more than $260MM of the $271.5MM in combined salary that the Red Sox are sending to them, a source tells Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald."

This is not how salary dumps work. If these terms hold, the Dodgers are incompetent.

I heard on MLB Network about a trade that is brewing up that Boston would send Beckett Crawford and Agone to the Dodgers for Loney and a few others. One......the trade is so lopsided that I cannot comprehend why Boston would even consider it, but 2,,,,,here my question.............................I don't understand the trade rules. If the trade deadline was July 31st, then how can a trade of this magnitude be talked about or even taking place with a team that is in contention?

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 07:03 AM)
I heard on MLB Network about a trade that is brewing up that Boston would send Beckett Crawford and Agone to the Dodgers for Loney and a few others. One......the trade is so lopsided that I cannot comprehend why Boston would even consider it, but 2,,,,,here my question.............................I don't understand the trade rules. If the trade deadline was July 31st, then how can a trade of this magnitude be talked about or even taking place with a team that is in contention?

7/31 is only the non-waiver deadline. Because of the salaries involved, everyone discussed passed through (with the exception of Agon, whom I think LA claimed).

I think Cherington is looking to start fresh and get out from under the mess of bad contracts Theo left him before fleeing to the Cubs. At the same time, new Dodger ownership is flush with $ and looking to run down the vulnerable Giants.

ESPN now reporting that this trade is a done deal. Every player involved in the deal can be traded because he fits one of the following categories:

(1) Cleared waivers, and thus can be traded to anybody

(2) Was claimed by one of the teams involved in the trade

(3) Isn't on a team's 40-man roster, and thus doesn't have to go through waivers

Also, since the Red Sox aren't going anywhere this year, if there's a player they want who is on the Dodgers' 40-man roster but didn't clear waivers, they could have him included as a PTBNL.

I get the Red Sox wanting to shed a bunch of salary, but I have a hard time seeing them being competitive in 2013.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 24, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
"The Dodgers are expected to pick up more than $260MM of the $271.5MM in combined salary that the Red Sox are sending to them, a source tells Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald."

This is not how salary dumps work. If these terms hold, the Dodgers are incompetent.

This deal just amazes me. The Dodgers are just killing their future.

The Red Sox just dumped 3 guys over 30 who make the GDP of China, one of which has been injured/awful since signing, one of which has just been terrible this year, and the other of which has magically lost his power.

Apparently Red Sox fans are unhappy... How on earth can a Red Sox fan be angry right now? That plus Dice-K's Big Papi's cash coming off the books? They just got to hit the re-set button on what would have been an atrocious next five years of salary.