Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Nick Punto to LAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I am seeing holding up this deal right now is Carl Crawford waiving his NTC. Seeing how he has never been a favorite in Boston, and he hasnt really had a good experience in Boston, I dont really think it should be long.

Jon Heyman Jon HeymanVerified ‏@JonHeymanCBS

trade WILL be done. awaiting crawford consent paperwork to be finalized. he already consented verbally. #redsox #dodgers

This is the worst trade I have ever seen. I wouldn't take on those two bums even if I was getting Miguel Cabrera, let alone an overpaid Adrian Gonzalez. The Dodgers are really bailing the Red Sox out here, as this allows them to be big players in the free agent and trade markets this offseason. 2 more years of Beckett with his bad back and fried chicken addiction along with 5 years of an injured Carl Crawford......dear lord. Are we sure that the Dodgers ownership isn't being advised by John McDonough, because this is awfully "splashy".

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
The only thing I am seeing holding up this deal right now is Carl Crawford waiving his NTC. Seeing how he has never been a favorite in Boston, and he hasnt really had a good experience in Boston, I dont really think it should be long.

I believe it was Heyman that reported Crawford only has 3 teams on his no trade list.....and one of them is the Dodgers. However, I have a hard time seeing Crawford volunteering to stay in Boston at this point.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
I believe it was Heyman that reported Crawford only has 3 teams on his no trade list.....and one of them is the Dodgers. However, I have a hard time seeing Crawford volunteering to stay in Boston at this point.

Heyman also reported Crawford already verbally agreed, just needs to sign the paperwork.

Well, Boston certainly kept that racist profile while Crawford was a member. they have tried to dispel that for years, but it keeps popping up

I wouldn't say it is awesome for the Red Sox...they did trade some nice pieces to get AGon in the first place, lost a pretty good draft pick to sign Crawford, etc. Obviously they shed the salary which is probably a good thing, but it is more righting some of their previous missteps than some awesome deal they pulled off.

I can understand the desire by the Dodgers to get AGon, and my guess is Beckett fares better in the NL than in the AL, but that Crawford contract, even though I don't think it will end up being as horrendous as it appears to be now, is awfully frightening.

It sucks, but they still got who they got. A-Gon is going to be crazy productive in the NL I'm sure. Crawford isn't a terrible player, just overpaid and has had that injury bug since he got paid. I don't know what to think about Beckett, but he should probably at least hold down his spot in the rotation.

They are in salary hell for sure, but the players they got are apt to produce. I have to think that it is better to pay handsomely in dollars for players that will produce than to give away a ton of talent or dollars and get nothing.

Not the worst trade ever, I don't think. Talk about going all-in, though...

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
It sucks, but they still got who they got. A-Gon is going to be crazy productive in the NL I'm sure. Crawford isn't a terrible player, just overpaid and has had that injury bug since he got paid. I don't know what to think about Beckett, but he should probably at least hold down his spot in the rotation.

They are in salary hell for sure, but the players they got are apt to produce. I have to think that it is better to pay handsomely in dollars for players that will produce than to give away a ton of talent or dollars and get nothing.

Not the worst trade ever, I don't think. Talk about going all-in, though...

Crawford had TJ surgery two days ago. So they are on the hook for a player that will not even contribute this season.

Beckett and Punto have seen their best days a long time ago, they will contribute but it wont be anything spectacular.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Crawford had TJ surgery two days ago. So they are on the hook for a player that will not even contribute this season.

Beckett and Punto have seen their best days a long time ago, they will contribute but it wont be anything spectacular.

Beckett is actually the guy who could make a big difference for them this year. They just lost Billingsly for a while, they could use some quality in the middle of their rotation.

Gonzales, Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez is a pretty awesome heart of the order. You figure Beckett should be better in the NL, and if Crawford ever comes near the player he was in TB, Magic is moving Showtime to Chevez Ravine. Are they worth the money? Probably not, but they must have a ton to spend so they are spending it.

Boston gets a ton of money to play with, but who will they be able to bring in? There's a cap on the amateur guys. The top free agents are guys like Grienke and Hamilton. Are they the type of guys that work in Boston? I understand why they did what they did. If it were my decision to make, I would have done the same thing, but it may be awhile before it seems you watch everyone of their games again between Fox, ESPN and MLB Network.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Gonzales, Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez is a pretty awesome heart of the order. You figure Beckett should be better in the NL, and if Crawford ever comes near the player he was in TB, Magic is moving Showtime to Chevez Ravine. Are they worth the money? Probably not, but they must have a ton to spend so they are spending it.

Boston gets a ton of money to play with, but who will they be able to bring in? There's a cap on the amateur guys. The top free agents are guys like Grienke and Hamilton. Are they the type of guys that work in Boston? I understand why they did what they did. If it were my decision to make, I would have done the same thing, but it may be awhile before it seems you watch everyone of their games again between Fox, ESPN and MLB Network.

Dodgers gave up some decent pitching talent here also.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
Dodgers gave up some decent pitching talent here also.

Yes, but nothing that really excites too much. Face it, you would trade all of those prospects for Adrian Gonzalez alone and not think twice about it. The other guys are just money, and apparently the Dodgers aren't in danger of going broke anytime soon