GAME. THREAD. 9/13 Detroit @ White Sox

Cerbaho-WG

Psychologically, we have the fear/phobia with Verlander now that existed against Sabathia and Johan Santana.

You take your chances with Fister, and are happy that Sale can hopefully go out and beat the Twins, instead.

Of course, the value of Sale beating Verlander and that confidence gain, wow. But losing three in a row, not so inspirational. But Sale has been SO GOOD at home this year, 9-2, ERA of around 1.70.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
I can't believe you are concerned with individual matchups vs. Det. They don't matter. It's best we don't play Detroit for a few days at least. See if we can build the lead up again. We weren't going to suddenly beat Verlander tonight. Now if Sale can do what's expected of him, beat Minnie, and Cleveland takes care of Detroit, we could be cooking again.

One can hardly wait to see your posts the next time we face KC.

Will they be even more pessimistic than against DET, since MOST of America actually believes the Tigers are a better team than us, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Psychologically, we have the fear/phobia with Verlander now that existed against Sabathia and Johan Santana.

You take your chances with Fister, and are happy that Sale can hopefully go out and beat the Twins, instead.

Of course, the value of Sale beating Verlander and that confidence gain, wow. But losing three in a row, not so inspirational. But Sale has been SO GOOD at home this year, 9-2, ERA of around 1.70.

Psychologically, they have the fear/phobia with a s*** load of stuff.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 02:48 AM)
One can hardly wait to see your posts the next time we face KC.

Will they be even more pessimistic than against DET, since MOST of America actually believes the Tigers are a better team than us, right?

I'm definitely penciling those in as 3 losses, that's for sure. I figure we have four guaranteed losses the rest of the way. We have to play red-hot baseball in the other games to be in the postseason.

I can't believe you are concerned with individual matchups vs. Det. They don't matter. It's best we don't play Detroit for a few days at least. See if we can build the lead up again. We weren't going to suddenly beat Verlander tonight. Now if Sale can do what's expected of him, beat Minnie, and Cleveland takes care of Detroit, we could be cooking again.

Stop being so doom and gloom Greg. It's annoying as s***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
I'm definitely penciling those in as 3 losses, that's for sure. I figure we have four guaranteed losses the rest of the way. We have to play red-hot baseball in the other games to be in the postseason.

I actually think we'll take 2/3 from KC the next time we play them.

Not sure about Monday's game, no idea, at this point.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:25 PM)
Who cares? Does it really matter who we pitch against them? I'd rather pitch Sale against Minnie who he will be favored to beat at least.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
Yes we dodged a bullet. We would have lost tonight. Now at least we have a chance of a different scenario happening.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)

HES BACKKKKK....LOL you were tolerable for awhile there greg, I was starting to like you man...then you drop all this on us.

There is (probably) not a better pitcher in baseball at home than Chris Sale. Verlander is no bueno on the road. I dont give a single f*ck about momentum.

I wanted Justin vs Sale...bad...I'd wet myself if both teams pushed em back.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 02:02 AM)
Stop being so doom and gloom Greg. It's annoying as s***.

I'm just pissed off at the team for its play vs. Det and KC.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
HES BACKKKKK....LOL you were tolerable for awhile there greg, I was starting to like you man...then you drop all this on us.

There is (probably) not a better pitcher in baseball at home than Chris Sale. Verlander is no bueno on the road. I dont give a single f*ck about momentum.

I wanted Justin vs Sale...bad...I'd wet myself if both teams pushed em back.

I'm just pissed at the Sox for their s***ty play vs. KC and Detroit. Do you realize how many games we'd be up in the division if we had a just a decent record against both teams or Detroit only?? Just has pissed me off beyond belief. I figured why not just pencil in any game aginst the two as a loss?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)
Big time agreed, no such thing in baseball as momentum(sorry fathom, respect the hell out of you but hate how much you use that word).

I use momentum for in-game reasons, not game-to-game. With it being such a long season, it seems there are a lot of games you can win just by not giving the other team reason to think they can comeback in game. I'm all about pitching match-ups for game-to-game stuff.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 04:56 AM)
Big time agreed, no such thing in baseball as momentum(sorry fathom, respect the hell out of you but hate how much you use that word).

What do you call it then when KC and Detroit get on a roll vs. a team like the White Sox? Momentum is the kind word for it. I mean it hasn't really mattered what the matchups are, the Sox are in a death spiral against both teams and yes, I'd think it's momentum. Remember that series in Detroit how the Sox blew it in the third or fourth inning and it seemed to carry from there through the rest of the series? How can you guys not call that momentum? Or KC winning the last 3-4 series vs. the Sox. When the losses come night after night fast and furious, I think it's fair to call that "momentum."

On the flip side they say "momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher." Again ... how do you account for the rash of losses? We've had some decent starting pitchers going. I think momentum exists.

Edited by greg775

Talking about momentum, I remember Joe Torre said he felt momentum change in that series where the Red Sox came back from the 0-3 defecit. He said he felt it change when the Red Sox won I think game 5 in extra innings and the Yankees just couldn't overcome it afterwards.

He definitely believes in momentum for what it's worth...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Talking about momentum, I remember Joe Torre said he felt momentum change in that series where the Red Sox came back from the 0-3 defecit. He said he felt it change when the Red Sox won I think game 5 in extra innings and the Yankees just couldn't overcome it afterwards.

He definitely believes in momentum for what it's worth...

What does he know?

As far as momentum goes, I don't think it comes into play much in the conventional sense in baseball. I think offenses can help each other and hurt each other, but the starting pitcher (most important individual) is impervious to the changes in momentum.