The end of Ozzie Guillen in Miami?

chetkincaid

It was always apparent it wouldn't end well for Ozzie in Miami, but if he doesn't even get to year 2 it will be fun to see the Guillen spin put on things. Nothing was his fault in Chicago, I'm sure nothing will be in Miami. I also wonder what his current appeal is to networks re broadcasting. He certainly isn't the hot thing he was 6 or 7 years ago, but maybe he gets brought in for a Baseball Tonight or MLB Network studio job. I just think his obnoxiousness has played out. He's gone the way of Paris Hilton. Oney might actually have to work in the next few years.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Just lol.

I do feel bad for the Miami baseball fans. All the hype and to have such a terrible season would not be fun to watch. Hopefully, Ozzie gets fired so I can root for the Marlins as I've wanted to root for them, but his presence doesn't allow me to.

I really want to see Oney's reaction on Twitter if this happens, God do I hate him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Ozzie said he isn't worried about his job. Never did,not with a 3 year contract, not with a 1 year contract. Apparently he has totally erased last year from his small mind.

Ozzie got a $10 million bonus after last year. If he can get fired, then he can draw an extra 6-figures doing broadcasting for the next year or two.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
You have a cop out for everything don't you?

I wouldn't call it a cop out. I knew nothing about Miami's roster. I trusted the people on here who said they had some talent. They're not going to can him after one season and he still might succeed there if it's possible for that franchise to succeed.

I haven't even followed them. Has heath bell kept the closing job all year? Did he ever get his act together?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
Lol. Just lol.

I do feel bad for the Miami baseball fans. All the hype and to have such a terrible season would not be fun to watch. Hopefully, Ozzie gets fired so I can root for the Marlins as I've wanted to root for them, but his presence doesn't allow me to.

I really want to see Oney's reaction on Twitter if this happens, God do I hate him.

No such thing as Miami baseball fans. I think the whole Castro thing was a reporters attempt to blow things out of proportion. At the same time people who did not grow up in American culture have to know the meaning of free speech. (basically Ozzie just shut up)

The Ozzie hate is getting boring.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
I wouldn't call it a cop out. I knew nothing about Miami's roster. I trusted the people on here who said they had some talent. They're not going to can him after one season and he still might succeed there if it's possible for that franchise to succeed.

I haven't even followed them. Has heath bell kept the closing job all year? Did he ever get his act together?

You were the one who said the Marlins would win a World Series. People here said you were crazy. Now you say it was us who told you they'd win the World Series? Total BS.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 06:37 AM)
You were the one who said the Marlins would win a World Series. People here said you were crazy. Now you say it was us who told you they'd win the World Series? Total BS.

I said they'd win the WS cause of Ozzie. I knew nothing about their roster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
I said they'd win the WS cause of Ozzie. I knew nothing about their roster.

So if they trotted out a bunch of high schoolers you still would have believed that Ozzie would take them to the World Series and win it? lol ok...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
So if they trotted out a bunch of high schoolers you still would have believed that Ozzie would take them to the World Series and win it? lol ok...

I think watching Robin this season proves that you can second guess any manager. Can you honestly say Ozzie is any worse than Robin? Both managers made tons of moves that were second guessed in game threads.

I happen to believe Ozzie is the best manager in baseball, but neither Ozzie or Robin can win without players doing their jobs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 03:03 AM)
I think watching Robin this season proves that you can second guess any manager. Can you honestly say Ozzie is any worse than Robin? Both managers made tons of moves that were second guessed in game threads.

I happen to believe Ozzie is the best manager in baseball, but neither Ozzie or Robin can win without players doing their jobs.

Robin Ventura is in his first year of managing at any level. He's not a good measuring stick for managers, especially when it comes to on-field tactics.

I've said it many times before...Ozzie is better than Robin at managing bullpens. Ozzie is even better when it comes to matchups late in games. Both love to bunt too much though, especially with a team that can't bunt.

This doesn't mean Ozzie is a good manager (I think the last two seasons are more or less telling of the manager he is), it just means he's got more experience than Robin (no shock there).

Compare Ozzie against Joe Maddon and there is simply no contest. If you gave Ozzie the Tampa Bay Rays, he wins you maybe 75 games. That team wouldn't be able to score 3 runs a game with the way Ozzie runs things.

Edited by chw42

A manager has two jobs. There's the "x's and o's" on-field strategy. There is also the behind-the-scenes managing and guidance of the clubhouse, player's egos, player's personalities, and the overall psyche of the team.

Guillen dropped the ball on the latter of the two last year, and that was with a very talented team.

I think a very good team of players can overcompensate for a bad "x's and o's" manager. I don't think a very good team of players can overcome a bad "clubhouse" manager.

All IMHO, of course.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
A manager has two jobs. There's the "x's and o's" on-field strategy. There is also the behind-the-scenes managing and guidance of the clubhouse, player's egos, player's personalities, and the overall psyche of the team.

Guillen dropped the ball on the latter of the two last year, and that was with a very talented team.

I think a very good team of players can overcompensate for a bad "x's and o's" manager. I don't think a very good team of players can overcome a bad "clubhouse" manager.

All IMHO, of course.

Good post.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Greg, you repeatedly said Ozzie was manager of the year.

I thought he would be as I thought they'd build on that 23-9 and win the division.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Good post.

I thought he would be as I thought they'd build on that 23-9 and win the division.

I just got back from watching the manager of the year lose in walkoff fashion. 2 on, 2 out, bottom of the 9th. He chooses to walk Fred Lewis and his, .300 OPS to bring up Ruben Tejada and his .700 OPS. Guess what happend? A-mazing. Ozzie is terrible.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 23, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
I just got back from watching the manager of the year lose in walkoff fashion. 2 on, 2 out, bottom of the 9th. He chooses to walk Fred Lewis and his, .300 OPS to bring up Ruben Tejada and his .700 OPS. Guess what happend? A-mazing. Ozzie is terrible.

So obviously is whatever pitcher served up the home run ball. it goes both ways as we've seen in some decision by Robin this year as well. Players got to do the job.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Heath Bell supposedly just blasted Ozzie in an interview, saying he doesn't respect him, that he doesn't tell the truth, and won't say anything to your face.

That is awesome. Is Bell the one who gave up the home run walkoff they are talking about in the thread? If so, bad timing.

I won't stand up for Ozzie here, but I would suspect Bell will not have the sympathy of many, not after that episode on the TV show where he seemed like a goof talking to Ozzie in the office. s***, Bell is lying cause in that episode Ozzie talked to him about his closer's role. Heath Bell sounds like he has as big an ego as Ozz.

I just saw the story. I doubt Heath Bell is going to get Ozzie fired. Remember, Loria wanted Bell replaced before Ozzie replaced him as closer. This might make it easier to keep Ozzie. Loria will look like he's caving in to Heath Bell of all people if he cans Ozzie. Now if Buehrle goes after Oz, I guess Oz is finished.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8420672/...r-ozzie-guillen

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
So obviously is whatever pitcher served up the home run ball. it goes both ways as we've seen in some decision by Robin this year as well. Players got to do the job.

don't you think that pitcher might have had an EASIER TIME of getting the out if he were facing the weaker of the two hitters?

Ozzie could have made the pitcher MORE LIKELY to succeed, but instead he did the opposite.

Respond.